Baby gagging on cheerios

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Krissa72, May 9, 2010.

1. Krissa72

Krissa72 Active Member

DS just recently started cherrios and small soft pieces of food - he wants everything but of course cannot have every food he wants. Problem is he eats ok when it is put in the side of his mouth, but sometimes when it gets to the back he starts to gag, we try to swipe it out, but a few times he vomited. Is this just going to take practice on his part? Are we doing something wrong?
    His twin sister will not even go near anything solid, actually still stuck on stage 2 foods, at 9 months, but him, he wants it all, lol!
    Thanks!

2. vyckie72

vyckie72 Well-Known Member

My boys never really took to the cheerios and I found they did better with the Gerber puffs. I like that they disolve faster than cheerios. I would those and they have a lot of different flavors.

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

puffs are great! I have 1 who can eat a whole one & 1 who is only allowed 1/2 (otherwise he gags)...but we are working on the same thing. My guy gets food in the back and center of his tongue then starts gagging, so if I'm giving him banana or something, I try to put it in the side of his mouth.

4. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

My first was the same way - he couldn't eat stage 3 foods and couldn't eat cheerios at 9 months. There was never a sudden turning point, but I know by his first birthday he was able to eat puffs and cheerios. I just kept offering until he was ready. I do recall giving him little cookies or crackers to chew on himself and that helped some, but I don't remember when we did that.

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It sounds totally normal to me. Just keep trying. Mine gagged on food until they were over a year old. They still gag when we try to get them to try something new.

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

How old are they?

We started with a half of Gerber Puff and worked our way up from there. I had one that was a gagger past his first birthday.

7. LeeandJenn15

LeeandJenn15 Well-Known Member

MIne gagged alot in the beginning, but they never threw up from it, so I can't quite relate. I know it just seems like it takes them a bit to figure out how to maneuver those solid pieces with their tongues.