Baby Motrin & Tylenol Recall

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cat mommy, May 1, 2010.

1. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

2. cat mommy

OK, I was reading that ALL infant tylenol and motrin have been recalled. So what are we supposed to give them instead if we need to (I don't feel comfortable using aspirin because of the possibility of Reye's Syndrome).

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would talk to your pharmacist. It might be that there are some generic brands of acetaminophen & ibuprofen out there that are not made by McNeil. What about children's Advil? The report said Motrin but I didn't see anything about Advil. For those who have babies who are old enough, it doesn't appear that the chewable forms are affected, just the suspensions.

ETA - I just double checked & Advil is made by Wyeth not McNeil so it isn't affected by the recall & would be a good option for you!

4. cat mommy

Thanks! DH is headed to the store after work to check out generics and Advil too.

5. h2believe

h2believe Well-Known Member

We called the company and they are sending us vouchers to get some new tylenol and motrin when they restock the shelves. We had SEVEN bottles! We stock up so we don't have to go out and get it in the middle of the night (as is usually the case!), so if you have any, give the company a call so they can replace it when the new stuff is on the shelves!

For now... generic unfortunately.

6. cat mommy

DH bought Target brand generics of both. The boxes of both state they are not manufactured by the makers of tylenol/motrin. Sent an email to McNeil, so hopefully we will get those free vouchers--we only had to throw out one of each.

7. cat mommy

Just wanted to add that DH said there were hardly any bottles of the generics left on the shelf, so you guys might want to replenish your supplies sooner rather than later.

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also want to add that generics work exactly the same as name brand, but much cheaper ;) I've been using generics for years, I only buy name brand if I have a coupon and it's on sale, making it cheaper than the generic! :D