Baby shower ideas

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mamita, Nov 8, 2011.

1. mamita

mamita Well-Known Member

Ok, I tried doing a search on this before posting, but came up with a thread from 2007. Just looking for some more recent ideas. I'm trying to help my mom and mother-in-law with game ideas. This will be a big shower, with tons of guests. So some of the games I've found are more for small showers it seems like. Also, decoration ideas. Every site I've googled mentions the 2 peas in a pod idea. Is there anything different? I'm not sure if we'll spend that much time on games, I just want it to stand out that it's a twins shower.

2. danasacks

danasacks Active Member

monkey see monkey do? noah's ark? dr. suess' thing 1 and 2?

3. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

Hey Mamita,

I was waiting until after my first shower yesterday to report to you because I knew my sister would work the twin theme. She said it was hard to find ideas but did a good job. Most notably, she made cupcakes that had coconut sprinkles on them (to make a nest) and two baby birds made out of icing on each one (blue because they're fellas). This picked up on her invite which had two eggs in a nest. She also made several things with pears (get it? A play on "pairs"). She made grilled cheese with sliced pears and some other cheese and pear thing. We didn't have games so I don't have anything for that. It was also interesting that of all the cards, one was an actual bought twin card. Some people made cards so they could do the twin thing and others modified their bought cards to play on the theme. I didn't know twin cards were so hard to come by! I hope this helps with your inspiration. I can't seem to get the pic of the cupcakes on this post but if you want to see, pm me with your email and I'll send it to you. Have fun!

Cheers,

Amy

4. mamita

mamita Well-Known Member

Thank you for the idea! We have put together some pretty neat things, there's not a whole lot out there that is specifically "twins" decorations. I'm excited, my shower is this Saturday.

5. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

Have fun! We had a boy and a girl so our cakes were a blue foot print and a pink footprint and all the decorations were pink and blue baby feet! We did the sniff a diaper game with candy bars and a play on words with candy big hunk=husband 100 grand= hospital bill etc. Everyone who brought diapers were put into a drawing (this info was given on the invite) and we had a gift card to a spa for the winner.. great way to get diapers!

6. MiltonMommy

MiltonMommy New Member

Hi all,
    I wanted to share about the shower that was thrown for me last weekend. My first shower, two weeks ago was a "traditional" shower where everyone bought clothes, etc for my girls (expected before Christmas)
    But last week's shower was totally different. It was a FREEZER shower!
    I highly recommend for any expecting mums out there who can plant seeds of ideas with your sisters, aunts, mums, etc

Everyone who came brought one frozen entree / casserole and baked good to add to my deep freezer. The hostess had a bunch of coolers set up outside for when people arrived, and arranged for my husband to swing by early on and take all the food, returning the coolers later. This shower was thrown by my husband's side of the family, which is much smaller than my family (my family is about 50-60 people in attendance, my husband's side is more like 10-12)

This was perfect in so many ways -
    1) My freezer is jam packed full of goodies and meals, dishes do not have to be returned (the hostess asked to use things I could keep, aluminum trays - as well as included "tips for packing freezer meals" with the invitations)
    2) I already had the generic baby clothing and other goodies shower from my side of the family the week prior.
    3) I already have a 2 year old, so most of the major items are already taken care of.
    4) Did I mention my deep freeze is STOCKED???
    5) No one had to sit around and oooh and aaah at baby clothes. The food was wisked away while all the ladies just sat around and had a great afternoon together. Of course everyone shared what they made and how they made it - lots of recipes were being shared around as well.

So just putting it out there, it's an amazing idea with wonderful, practical benefits to the mother of soon-to-be-twins - especially with older children, how the heck are we supposed to eat if our freezer isn't full?