Babyproofing a piano

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by fmcquinn, Mar 24, 2011.

1. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

So my girls have their own playroom...that they share with my piano. When they were first learning to walk, I put foam around the legs of the piano so no little heads or limbs got bumped or cut, but now that they're walking pros, they like to crawl underneath...and bang then they bang their heads when they try to stand up. I've tried table bumpers but they peel right off. I tried putting an ottoman in place of the piano bench, but they just try to wedge behind it. I just don't know what else to do! The piano cannot go anywhere else. :gah:

2. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Are you worried about the piano getting hurt or your girls? If it's the piano... I'd say take the bench out so they can't climb up and bang on the keys. If it's the girls (you mention they're bumping their heads underneath), then don't worry. Babies and toddlers will bump their heads on just about everything, no matter what you do. Just make sure there are no sharp edges and they'll learn eventually. In a year or two they'll probably want you to create a fort for them under the piano anyway!

3. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

boxes & pillows or something to barricade it off? or a superyard to gate it off...

good luck.

4. Reeny691

Reeny691 Well-Known Member

I agree with pp about the superyard. It can be screwed into the walls.

5. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd go with a superyard too!

6. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

What about a big sheet thrown over it, and then some large size activity tables in front of the sheet? Sort of a double distraction? At least it's a cheap and easy thing you could try. The other option is to just let them have at it - they will get bored with it soon.

7. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

It's a little of both. I can't seem to find bumpers that will stick to the front edge to protect them and they constantly bang toys against it. I tell them no and put the toys in timeout, but there are gashes in the piano nonetheless. I'm teaching them to play it, so I'd like access... the superyard may be the way to go. Thanks everyone! If you have other cheaper ideas, keep 'em coming!

8. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We "converted" our dining room into the boys' playroom (meaning we shoved the dining room table against the wall to make room for toys ;)) and when they were learning to walk, they would love to crawl under the table, then try to stand while supporting themselves on the chairs. They were short enough to stand under the table, but there is a lip around the edges that hangs down, and they would constantly hit their heads on this. :gah: I'd watch them like hawks while they were playing around the table, and when they were in danger of hitting their heads, I'd say "watch your head!" a LOT until they understood that they needed to duck. It really didn't take all that much time, and they became super aware of where their heads were in relation to whatever they were under. Of course, we *still* have head bumping incidents (Nate smacked his head on that same table today when fetching a ball from under it), but if I tell them to watch their heads, they're really good about ducking. :good:

You might want to give that a try if you can't find a way to babyproof the piano. :)