Babyproofing doors with lever doorknobs

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by SMax, Nov 3, 2009.

1. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

The doors on our house have lever doorknobs...any good suggestions on how to babyproof them? DS can now reach the knob and with some persistance, can open the door to our bedroom. I am worried that he will attempt to open the door going downstairs!

I know they make plastic locks for the levers, but they have poor reviews on Amazon. Someone mentioned a different style, similar to what we have on the cabinet doors that is made for large doors.

What do you use for your doors with lever doorknobs??

2. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I got mine at Walmart and I believe they are Safety 1st. They were about $5 each and I have no complaints. I know they also sell the same locks at BRU & Buy Buy Baby.

Just a warning: the locks I purchased have to be installed behind the door handle so you will need to remove the handle. I installed all the locks by myself. It's not hard, just time consuming.

3. Maymay

Maymay Well-Known Member

I just had to deal with this in our house this weekend. Every door in our house are matching lever-style knobs. I too read that bad reviews of the lever locks but I looked at them at Target anyway - and they were $14.99 a piece! I don't know if this solution works for you but we just went to Home Depot and bought new round doorknobs for $8.99 each. They are really easy to change out and then you can just put the normal knob covers on them.
    We are keeping the lever style knobs with the intention of putting them back on when the kids are ready but for now this solution made the most sense for us.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All the doors in our house are not lever style, but the door leading downstairs to the family room is. When the kids are up, I just lock the door (the lock is on the front) and they have not figured out the lock yet and open it when the cats want to go downstairs or up. We are hoping to put a railing on the steps going down to the family room and when we feel comfortable with the kids going up and downstairs safely we will leave the door open all day.

5. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I just looked at BRU's website and the ones I bought have bad reviews. I don't have any issues with them and for under $5 each I think they were well worth the money. At 22 months they have yet to figure out how to push in and slide the lock over.

Safety 1st Locks

6. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

We had to do something when we put the twins in toddler beds as they could open their doors and potentially wander around the house at night. (Now that is a scary thought!) We bought the circular ones from Target by Safety 1st, but they didn't work with our door and doorframes. Their bedroom doors are inset into a doorway frame and open inward, and with the circular lock thing stuck on the door, it wouldn' shut all the way.

What we did was turn the doorknobs around so that the lock is on the outside of the door. We can always open the door from the outside, but if we lock it, they can't open it from the inside. For doors that we don't want them to be able to open from the outside, we just lock them and keep that little pokey unlock thing close by for when we need to get in those rooms. We do this for the pantry door and bathroom door.

7. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

That's a good idea Jessie.

I used the same ones as Judy, and I have no complaints. Maybe people can't figure out out to properly install those. I've found that with several reviews, especially on BRU.

8. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions! The door in question (to the basement) opens outward, so I am going to try the lever lock from BRU. If that doesn't work, I now have a few back-up options!

9. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

We have the BRU one, too. We've had them since they were 1 year old and they are on all of our doors. We really like them and haven't had any issues.