Babyproofing Electrical Cords in Preparation for Climbing out of the Crib?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cat mommy, Oct 15, 2010.

1. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

So DS is climbing as much as he can and definitely trying to get out of the superyard. It's only a matter of time. They will soon be moving out of our room and into their room in cribs. I want all the electrical cords childproofed before that happens and I am looking for suggestions. I do not mind messing up the wall/paint if that is what it takes! I was thinking about using duct tape to tape cords against the wall cause i don't think they have the manual dexterity to rip the tape off. We would like to use a fan, window air conditioner, video monitor and cd player (which i can run off battery if need be). thanks!

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

There are a few things here. Here we avoided having cords in reach at all until we moved here, and by then they were older and it wasn't really an issue anymore... we just babyproofed the plugs.

3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Do you have a dresser or other furniture you can tuck the cords behind?

4. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like putting cords behind the dresser, and I also think if the dresser is high enough it should be bolted to the wall because they will climb it and pull it over, along with everything on top of it.

Although I know with my kids, I removed everything electrical out of their room as soon as they were able to escape their cribs.

5. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

We have the monitor and the clock/cd player plugged in behind the dresser. You may be surprised though. Mine can pretty much scale walls but have never (knock on wood) tried to get out of the crib. I think it depends on the type of crib you have but ours seem to keep them in there. We also started letting them have toys in their crib as soon as they turned 1 so the stuffed animals, blankies, etc distract them enough they have no desire to get out.