Back labor? Pain, cramping...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by TwinsItIs, Jul 19, 2011.

1. TwinsItIs

TwinsItIs Well-Known Member

I spent Saturday night in the hospital, getting my first steroid shot. I was feeling crampy and had bad lower back pain that felt like back labor, with contractions. I was sent home Sunday afternoon and got my second shot yesterday in my doctor's office.

I woke up today at 5am with so much pain, mostly in my lower belly. Baby A's sac is bulging and my doctor said my water could break at any moment. I just don't know what to do with this pain in my belly as well as the lower back pain and cramping. I don't know if this is early active labor signs, or I can pull this way for another two weeks (he wants to induce me at 36 weeks if I get to that point). I just wish I knew what this all means.

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Esther, I wish I had some advice but I never went through labor. Just wanted to send you some :hug:'s and good thoughts... I hope you can keep them cooking for another two weeks. :hug: What did the doctor say about the pain?

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: I am glad you got the steroid shot. Have you called the dr. today?: I did have back labor with my twins, although no one (not even the drs. knew it at the time). From the way you describe it, it does sound like it could be labor, I'd definitely call your OB. :hug:

4. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I had back labour with my oldest who wasa vaginal delivery and felt exactly like you are discribing. When I went into PTL with the twins it was in the back. It sounds like something could be happening. You may want to go get checked again to make sure you arent progressing.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Can you call and get monitored so you can know one way or the other? It certainly sounds labor-ish but I didn't have much experience with labor itself either.

Will they try to stop your labor with drugs if it is?

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Esther, I'm hoping for the best for you!! :wub:

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

:hug: I'm sorry this is happening to soon!!! I hope you can find some relief and keep them babies in there a few more weeks!!!

8. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would call your OB. I never had any real pain with my girls labor. My water broke and that was it.

9. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Esther, I have been thinking about you. I had tons of back labor with the girls and the doctors told me it was kidney stones (?!). You can do this, though! Let us know if you go back in today. We're all pulling for you!

10. TwinsItIs

I wasn't feeling this amount of pain yesterday. It started today and feels like the it's worse at times.

I didn't call the doctor yet because I want to see if it'll ease up a bit. He knows I can go at any time and the contractions are very sporadic.

I'll give it another hour or two to see what happens. When he checked me, my cervix was completely closed.

The contractions are pretty obvious and I'm trying to time them (I can have a few within 20 minutes, then nothing for a few hours).

At this point, the doctor won't stop the labor. My babies are big, I got steroids and because of the stillborn last time, at just about 34 weeks, he won't stop labor if it happens. I'm ok with that decision. I feel like it's so tough to know what's better because of the immense fear I live with every single day of this pregnancy.

1 person likes this.
  11. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: My only experience with back pain is when my fried called me telling me she thought her water broke. I asked her how she felt and she said like she could run and workout at the gym...BUT she said her back hurt. I would definitely call the doc and be seen, at least be monitored. :hug:

And that would be friend and not fried. Lol!

12. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would definitely call your OB. In the meantime, have a couple of large glasses of water, empty your bladder & then either hop in a nice warm shower, or lie down & rest for a bit. If it's not active labor, the contractions will likely slow down or stop. :hug:

You can also try warm/hot compresses on your lower back and/or lower belly to help with the pain there. Also, try & distract yourself - the less you focus on it, the less painful it will seem.

2 people like this.
  13. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

If you are having 4-5 in an hour you need to go in to be checked, or at least monitored. I couldnt imagine the fear you must have with your past experience. ((big hugs)) to you.

2 people like this.
  14. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

That sounds exactly like how labor was for me except it never let up. The contractions were 1-2 minutes apart so it just never really stopped hurting. Hoping for the best for you. If it's your time, I hope for healthy babies and no NICU time. If not, I hope you feel better soon! :hug:'s friend!

15. ward

ward Well-Known Member

:grouphug: I know exactly what you are going through at 32 weeks i started having contractions but they ended up being 5-6 minutes apart and i was having from 8-10 in an hour. I went in to the hospital and they told me i wasn't dilated just for them to tell me an hour later i was and then they put me on meds to stop the contractions. At first we called the doc and the doc told me to drink lots and lots of water with in a half hour period and take a nice warm shower. That should relax your uterine muscle and hopefully stop contractions.

Although i got released from the hospital a week later i was dilated at 3 with bulging bag of waters through my cervix. And i have still been having contractions which most of them have been in my back. My advice is if you feel you should go in and that would help ease your worries then thats what you should do its better to feel safe than to continue to be in the unknown which could stress you out and make them worse. I hope you are able to keep the babies in for a little while longer. We are trying to make it to 36 weeks although the doctor wont actually schedule our c-section till 39 weeks due to their policy at this particular hospital.

Good luck sweet heart. Hope all turns out good. And i would also take the advice of the warm/hot compress as well that may make you feel a bit better pain wise. But remember drink lots and lots and lots of water. :youcandoit: :hug:

16. TwinsItIs

So I saw some spotting/blood and am off to the doctor to check things out. I'll update as I can.

1 person likes this.
  17. megkc03

:hug: :hug: :hug: I am keeping you and the babies in my thoughts and prayers!!!!!

18. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

good luck Esther!! Many thoughts are with you!

19. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Good luck! All those signs are pointing to a birthday today to me! Happy thoughts and prayers to you and your family!! Congrats as well;)

20. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

lots and lots of luck!
    -Miriam

21. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:grouphug:
    We're all thinking of you Esther!!

22. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:hug: :hug: :hug: My thoughts are with you and those precious girls... keep us posted.

23. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Thinking about you Esther! :hug:

24. TwinsItIs

I'm back home. I lost the mucus plug and am 2 1/2 cm dilated. Doc thinks I'll pull a few more days. So the waiting dance begins. :)

2 people like this.
  25. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks for letting us know!!! Good luck in the next couple days! Yay!!

26. megkc03

Thank you for the update!!! Good luck as you await your new little bundles!!

27. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks for the update! :hug:

28. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

great update!! Hopefully you'll hold out for a few more days!

29. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

You're on my mind and in my heart. We're all with you!

30. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Every extra day is great! :hug: Glad you got good news! :)

31. TwinsItIs

Thanks for all the wishes. I can't believe it's really getting closer.

My goal is to hold out until Thursday, which puts me at 34 weeks. I'm at peace with that and hope things will go smoothly.

Baby B is breech, but my doctor's an expert on B breech deliveries, so we're aiming for a vaginal birth. :)

4 people like this.
  32. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Just reading this, but wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you. I'm glad you went in and got checked out. A couple more days would be great!

33. TwinsItIs

Oh, and the babies dropped so much that I can barely walk 2 steps.

34. megkc03

Sounds like they want out! I hope you make it to Thursday! :hug:

35. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh, mama! It does sound like you'll be holding 2 at once very, soon, either way! Esther, I'm so excited for you. Please post a pic when the girlies are born. :wub: