Back to School

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by rissakaye, Jul 18, 2014.

1. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When do your kids go back to school?  We're going back on Aug. 13.  I know it sounds early, but we were out May 22.  We've been out almost 2 months already with just under a month to go.

We're actually pretty much ready.  I need to scotch-guard the backpacks and put names on things.  We already got the lists in the mail.  I had to laugh because I noticed that they didn't have folders on the list, which I'm sure was an oversight.  The kids have trapper-keeper like binders for this year which just seems terribly grown-up.  I'm also trying to figure out how my little kids are now the 5th graders in the building and getting ready for the last year at elementary school.  

After next week, I have some inservice work that I'll start in on.  I work as a part-time para at their school so my summer will be over too.

Marissa

2. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We go back August 7! That's a bit early to me, but down here we get several holidays off. (3 weeks at Christmas, Mardi gras, fall break, full week at thanksgiving, plus 6 days for spring break. And that doesn't count all the 1 day holidays thru the year.)

I've got their backpacks ordered and hopefully they'll get here Monday. We got the supply list, just have to get a few more things. Now I need to work on uniforms and getting us back on schedule. We've all been sleeping late this summer! It's been nice, but their school starts at 7:30, so we have early mornings.

3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls go back the thursday after labor day.  

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We don't go back till Sep 2 but they only got out on Jun 27 so we're not even halfway through summer break yet. I did find out though that we don't have to buy school supplies. We pay a small annual fee and the school provides all their stuff. Well, other than backpacks, lunch bags and indoor shoes. I was kind of disappointed - I loved school supply shopping as a kid!

5. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That is great.  My girls school's PTA does a fundraiser that you can order the school supplies through them.  Cheaper than buying everything now, but not as cheaping as watching the back to school sales.  So we have never done back to school supply shopping.

6. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our school does that also, but I've never done it.  Since it's a fund-raiser, the prices are noticeably quite higher than the stores. The mark-up is at least $10-15 per pack.  If I'm going to spend the extra, I'd rather spend it on getting the trapper for the kids (bought last year on clearance) than the plain binder made with the cardboard that I suspect probably will probably fall apart.  When I've talked to the teachers, they actually preferred the zip close trappers because students lost less papers than with regular binders.

I just got through putting names on everything.  The kids are excited.  We know they will have study hall this year, 4 days a week since neither of them want to do band.  So I included a pad of drawing paper and origami paper in Sarah's trapper.  In Timothy's, I put some origami paper and a stash of regular notebook paper for folding boomerangs, paper airplanes, and drawing.  The kids like it that they will have their own little stash of things to do.

Marissa

7. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Rach, our school does that too. I was seriously disappointed because that was probably the thing I was most looking forward to for school! However, we do have to buy new backpacks, so I guess there's at least that. They do staggered entry for kindergarten so it's not so overwhelming having 25 kids who have never been at school before. We'll either go September 2 or 3rd; waiting for the information from the school on that. I am excited to get the boys into their new school.

8. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

We go back August 1st.  Seems silly since its a Friday.

Just need Kleenex then all the school supplies will be ready as well as extras of the communal stuff.  All the pencils go into a classroom pool for whoever needs one which really bugs me because some kids just don't  take care of them and seem to lose or break them constantly.  I've seen kids snap brand new pencils in half for no reason at all, then expect a new ones. Same with erasers, wasting paper products, and hand sanitizer.  I'm sure there would be a lot more care and a lot less wastage if those kids had to tell their parents they need a box of new pencils/eraser/sanitizer every week.  So I buy nicer supplies for my kids personal use in addition to the list.

9. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

We start Monday the 25th. It's way too close for me! I'm not ready!

10. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Wow, you all start early!  We don't start until the Tuesday after Labor Day.  The boys will have over 2 weeks after camp ends until school starts.  Our school also does the fundraiser.  They charge $55 per kid for Middle School supplies, last year I got their supplies for much less than that.  I carry around the list, and watch the sales, and get things as I see them.

11. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I really liked the staggered entry. Felt much less overwhelming for all involved. Plus, the first day was shorter than normal to accommodate the staggering which was also appreciated. They divided us up alphabetically so there was no silliness about the girls going at different times.

Also, can I just say how is it possible your boys are starting kinder this year?? I feel like we just met yesterday when you were still pregnant and now they're starting kinder. What is going on?!

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I believe we go back the week of Labor Day, the calendar has not been released yet but that's when they started last year.  I did not have to buy school supplies for kinder, just the backpack and lunch box and I love that.  This year, except for notebooks which the school provides, we did have to get supplies.  I am mostly done, I just have to get clear contact paper and pencil cases.

13. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

September 3rd... They were out on June 23. The main issue is the sales are starting now and I have no idea if they need anything and probably won't know for at least another month - ugh! They didn't need anything last year.

14. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

August 12, but we got out June 5th. No clue if we have to buy much in the way of supplies, we usually don't - but now it's second grade, gulp!

I spent money last year for Pottery Barn and they have held up well. We should get another year of use out of them.