backpacks

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MichelleL, Apr 7, 2012.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

LL Bean or Lands End?

I'm thinking ahead to next year because the girls' backpacks are starting to fall apart (generics bought at Kohl's). I'd like to get something sturdy that will last for a while. Which do you prefer?

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I got my girls ll bean and they still look brand new! They were having a sale on old patterns so they were only $20 for the full size.

1 person likes this.
  3. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids have Lands End ones. This is their 3rd year on them and they still look brand new. I've got new ones for next year because these are a smaller size and are starting to have trouble fitting everything the kids tend to put in them. (Folder, planner, lunch, jacket and cup-stacking cups for Timothy). I do tend to spray them periodically with Scotch Guard to help them along. But Sarah's is light pink and still looks great.

Marissa

1 person likes this.
  4. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

LL Bean! I still have and use my bookbag from high school. After 15 years, it's starting to show a little wear & tear but not much. Also they do have a lifetime guarantee, you can return them and get it replaced quickly. I also have another backpack I use for my laptop, plus various jackets & coats. Oh and their flannel sheets are the best you can buy!

I ordered bookbags & matching lunch boxes from LL Bean last summer. About a month into the school year, a strap on one of the lunch boxes came un-stitched. I called LL Bean and was SHOCKED when a real person answered the phone. No 'press 1 for English' or 'hold for the next representative.' It was unreal. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think i got the kids lands end ones. However, I think they are comparable. Find which one is cheaper or has a coupon code ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

After 8 years of heavy duty use in high school and college, my ll bean one still looked virtually new. I got mine in 1985.

2 people like this.
  7. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I bought the ll bean ones for L&L this year, and they still look brand new. I really like the fact that they are guaranteed & the reviews on the backpacks as well as the customer service were really good.

1 person likes this.
  8. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I've got my son's from LLBean and it has held up great! I go my girls' from the pottery barn and they have been fantastic as well.

1 person likes this.
  9. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

GREAT question because my two definitely need new ones next year! :good:

1 person likes this.
  10. MichelleL

I'll let you know when I see them on sale Liz, and you can do the same if you spot them first! :good:

Thanks ladies!

I agree Kate and Tina, their customer service cannot be beat! We've bought several things from there (and LOOOOVE their flagship store in Maine :wub: ) and have had exceptional customer service every time.

11. Utopia122

I just looked at LLBean and they have more of a selection than lands end right now. Sarah and Allison saw the pink one and blue one, both with flowers, and loved them.

12. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We have Land's End ones this year. I think I chose them because they were a bit cheaper than LL Bean, and I liked the way the lunch bags have an outside pocket. Up until this year, we would get backpacks from Children's Place. I spent about $50 for both backpacks and lunchbags, and they held up really well. We would also use them for summer camp, so I would toss them after the summer due to the stink from camp. The only reason I went with the Lands End this year was because the boys didn't like any of the patterns from Children's Place (I guess they outgrew the cute pictures).

13. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

We got Land's End for the girls and they've held up awesome, still look brand new. I like both and was looking at both last year. We went with Land's End b/c they had cuter stuff last year, not sure what the lines are this year...Oh and I liked the lunch boxes better too. :good: Both are great brands though!

14. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

I just looked and neither one has very much. I'm sure they'll bring out more closer to summer time.

15. tinalb

One thing I would recommend if you are buying from someone like ll bean who guarantees them, I wouldn't buy any print that the girls will likely outgrow before the backpack wears out. I know people who have had those backpacks for 10+ years & they still look great, but some of the prints the kids won't want to be carrying when they are older.

1 person likes this.
  16. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Good point on the print. I got Sean a basic red one with 3 big pockets on it. Kaelyn's is smaller, it's just pink with 2 big pockets I think. But both had a silver reflective strip on them, just in case they are walking at night. Odds are they won't, but just in case, I thought that was cool ;)

17. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we got ours from LL Bean when they were in Preschool - I got them for $12 each (huge sale!!)...they are the junior ones and I can see Abby using hers till at least 3rd grade - Ian probably 2nd...

18. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

All 3 girls have Lands End ones and they have help up perfectly! They will be using them again next year too. And usually Brooke has to switch mid year, since she is very hard on hers. Plus is you watch, there is usually a 30% off sale. That's when I got them. Peyton has one similar to this one and it has been PERFECT for 1st grade. Not too big, and not too small. It holds her take home folder fine, a library book or 2, and she can put her sweatshirt in if she gets warm.

19. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

We got the LLbean on-sale. Love it with all of the compartments. Also love their no hassle return/exchange policy. Will keep this one until DS asks for a new one.

20. MichelleL

What size backpack did you all order from LL Bean? I was overwhelmed at how many there are!

Heather, I was looking at those and love them! Do you think snowpants and boots would fit in it? We need to be able to send those in for recess.

21. tinalb

I ordered these for L&L. One in red & one in pink and I had them monogrammed with their initials. They have been a great size, no problem fitting in lunch boxes, library books, etc.

ETA You can kind of see the size of them relative to their size here.

22. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

I never thought of that. Hmph. They may. I just put a box of 10 juice boxes in there (P's class is putting brown bags lunches together for a homeless shelter) and there is still room to spare. Just checked and she can fit another box. I guess it depends on the puffiness of the jacket and boots.

23. Leighann

I got the regular size book bag from ll bean (not the jr size) and it would definitely fit snow pants and boots.

24. Utopia122

There's a coupon code to save $10, too...DUC0136

25. MichelleL

Bean or End, Rachel? Thank you! :Clap:

You ladies are Awe.Some. :bow2: Not that you made it THAT much easier since everyone loves both places ;) but I appreciate all the feedback. I guess it might come down to fabric choices. :lol:

26. Utopia122

LL Bean, guess you might need that :D

27. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

We bought this one http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62852?feat=816-CL1 which I know seems huge but it fits my oldest just fine because he is huge. Also, it is perfect because he can shove everything in there; his lunch, jacket, water bottle, and school work. They seem to bring home a lot of stuff even in K/first so the large bag was put to go use.

28. Leighann

Thisis the size we got.

29. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

Seriously?? :faint: It should be illegal to go outside if you need snowpants! ACK! :woah: I can't even imagine.

Up til now, we've bought a cheap backpack as part of the "back to school shopping" but I'm thinking I'll get them each one of the ones mentioned here. Looks like good prices on a lot of them. We've spend between $10 and $20 on the cheap ones (or what I thought was cheap!) and it looks like I can get them these more sturdy ones for not that much more. Thanks!

30. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

One of the great things about LLbean is that if it breaks, no matter how, you exchange it for free. I had to do that because one of the zippers got stuck and DS in his impatience broke it off. They even re-embroidered it for free. Oh and the larger bag will fit snowpants and boots in the large pocket, I would just suggest also sending in a plastic bag so that the wet snow doesn't mess up the bag.

31. Phia713

Phia713 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this Michelle, I, too will be looking at both for monogrammed backpacks for the girls.

32. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

We have these backpacks

I've never seen LLB or LE bags in person, but we the Pottery Barn ones we have are from last year & they still look great!

33. MichelleL

Backpacks are out for this season! :woo:

I've looked at the PBK, Lands End, and LL Bean ones. I'm torn between LL Bean and PBK. I figure I'll let the girls pick their patterns and that will be the decision maker. :good:

My question for you LL Bean backpack fans (or "book pack" as they call it) did you get the original or the deluxe. I'm guessing the original will be a good enough size for a while, but wanted to double check. :D

34. Leighann

We have the ll bean original size and they are plenty big for my girls. Just make sure you don't get junior size.

35. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

Ll bean stands behind they're products. I've heard if something goes wrong with the book bag they'll replace it.

Eta: I didn't read the responses and of course what I wrote everyone else stated as well!