Bad Habbit Swing Transition

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rinaownsu, Mar 28, 2015.

1. rinaownsu

rinaownsu Active Member

The twins are starting to outgrow their swings but they love falling asleep in them. It is also easy for us because we just move them to their own crib once asleep for bed time. However, now that the swings are getting close to being absolete, I need to wean the girls off it. Putting them to sleep is a hassle as they are hyper girls and fight their sleep till the end. I know they know how to fall asleep on their own because they do it all the time at their grandma's. So we put them in their crib the other night after our bed time routine, turned off the lights except for the dim hallway light and closed the door. I watched them through the baby monitor and they played a little at first and then just started screaming and crying to the top of their lungs. I couldnt take it! The whole crying it out method is so HARD!!!!!!!!

Is their any easier way??????? Suggestions please!!!!!!

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

You could try weaning them off the swings by having them swing at lower and lower speeds until you are putting them in a swing that is off. Then put them in their cribs but still turn on the swing music.

Honestly though, I would just do CIO. But if you are going to do it, you can't give in. You just teach them to cry more and longer and make it worse while you are trying to make it better. So maybe try weaning them slowly first.

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

How old are your babies?  

I would try to establish a new bedtime routine for them without the swings.  Like if the swing has music use that quietly in a dim room and maybe rock them a little, or read them a story while they are laying in their crib. It will take a couple of days for them to adapt to the new routine, so you need to be consistent.  If they are old enough, you could try CIO, or you could stay in their dark room and shush them until they fall asleep on their own.  Then each night stay a shorter amount of time, until you don't need to stay at all.  

4. rinaownsu

rinaownsu Active Member

The girls are 10 months old. We put the swing at the lowest speed with no music on.

I have to mentally prepare myself for the CIO. You are right, I can not give in because its just teaching them the opposite.

**sighs**

5. Rest assured that studies have proven that the cry it out method has ZERO bad lasting effects!

That being said I couldn't do it myself.

With my singleton (first born) it was hard to put her to sleep.

The twins are much easier but it's because we are doing another bad habit from you. We are letting them fall asleep on there bottles.

6. castleren

castleren New Member

What Factors should be considered when installing a tree swing ?

7. jobruilan

jobruilan New Member

It is essential to inspect the ground as children often fall on swings. Remove rocks, branches, stones, and other objects that can cause injury. You don't want children to be scared or frightened. Find a live branch on the tree, not a rotting one. A unit with fungus or bedbugs can break and fall if you tie the swing. Any component you choose should be clean and about 20 feet off the ground, about 30 cm in diameter, and 12 inches long. Make sure there are no obstacles around the swing, such as a pole or other tree. Children can use swings to do crazy things, and you need to look carefully at the area. Better yet, read the full instructions at https://www.growgardener.com/best-rope-for-tree-swing/.