Badly Bitten While Breastfeeding

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by leahbf, Jun 13, 2010.

1. leahbf

leahbf Member

My fraternal twin boys are just over 11 months old and are 98% breastfed (after a premature start, two weeks in NICU with 50% formula, feeding tubes and then bottles, and a monumental battle to get them to be nearly exclusively breastfed which I achieved!). Of course, they are now eating beginning solids as well.

Unfortunately, one son has four teeth in and one more on the way, and his top two front teeth are substantial. He has bit me several times over the past few months without really hurting me. However, about two weeks ago he bit me so hard on my left nipple that I was left in excruciating pain for the next several days. Each time I breastfed it was horribly painful, especially during latch and letdown, and the pain lasted afterwards for at least an hour or more. Eventually the pain subsided and everything was fine for the next few weeks.

It happened again a couple of days ago, again on my left nipple. I know it is not intentional and it happened as he was becoming sleepy and I think his mouth just sort of clamped down hard on me. This time it is even worse than the last; I am in pain even if my arm brushes by my breast, or even with my shirt touching it. I am now having my other twin only on the left side because he only has the beginning of two top and two bottom teeth and has never bit me hard (yet) but each time he latches on and starts to nurse I am nearly weeping from the excruciating pain. The pain continues on afterwards and sometimes there are sharp, shooting pains going up into the breast.

I would say the symptoms sound like what I've read of the pain of thrush, but it is only the one breast and it has happened both times after being horribly bitten down upon.

I am not sure what to do! I had not planned to stop nursing yet. Both of my daughters (now 12 and 11 years old) were EBF for 13 months and 15-1/2 months respectively, (they were very late teethers which helped immensely) and we had a chance to wean gently and lovingly, coming down to nap and night-time nursings before stopping altogether.

I do not want to wean abruptly, nor do I know how to if needed. I do NOT own a pump (I returned the hospital pump when the boys were about 12 weeks old and never pumped again - I can't stand pumping and don't have the best output - especially to keep up with nearly year-old twins). The boys still nurse several times a day, and each is up at least one to two times a night to nurse as well.

I am not sure what to do. I screamed out loudly in pain each time, my son clearly understood that something he did upset me, but he certainly was not intentionally biting me, and they were not play bites. I am now almost holding my breath in nervous anticipation as I nurse, in fear of another horrible chomp. I am heartbroken if this means the end of bf.

Anyone out there have any advice?

2. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

One thing that works for a lot of moms is to watch him like a hawk. Sometimes you'll see when it's about to happen and be able to get a finger in there and unlatch him.

Yelping in pain definitely gives him a message! But in addition, you can remove him from the breast and not let him nurse for a few minutes. This was very effective with mine.

Also, you mention that he's cutting a tooth right now, and that could be a major factor! Sometimes teething babies kind of forget what they're doing and try to use you as a teething ring. Try giving Tylenol/Motrin and letting him chew on a frozen washcloth before nursing. That might get to the root of the problem.

:hug: Good luck! I hope he gets past this soon (for your sake)!

3. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

That's great advice from the PP. And also when mine are teething, the acidity level in their mouth changes or something. I always end up sore during that time. Add that to a bad bite and it'll be even worse. Have you tried Soothies or something similar? That might help with the pain, plus be an added barrier for not bumping the sore nipple. In some ways, I think it helps that mine all got teeth early (5-6 months) because they were small enough that there wasn't intentional biting and they learned the lessons early. Now if I could get Spencer to stop biting me (everywhere but while nursing), when he's mad or wanting something I'd be happy!

4. nikio95

nikio95 Active Member

My one nurser just did the same thing to me....bit me so hard that I bled threw a band aid! I think I may even have a permanent "tooth" mark on that nipple. Needless to say, I yelled out in pain and said no. Well, I must have scared her - because she has now not nursed in 5 days! In fact, if even put the boob near her, she starts to cry. So...just be careful about the yelping in pain and saying no. I never thought she would have reacted this way. Now all she wants is the bottle.

Good luck. If it doesn't get better soon, I might see a doctor.

Niki

5. beckman445

beckman445 Well-Known Member

I've got two biters right now also. And like PP, mine bit me so hard two nights ago that I bled and it's still so sore. Here's what I've been doing today and it seems to have helped. While they're nursing, I've been keeping my thumb on their chin right below their lip. I applied just enough pressure (really none at all) to keep that bottom lip sticking out and to keep the jaw from coming up to clamp down. If he tried to bite, with my thumb there, I could feel it coming and un-latch him. I know it's from teething, because his whole latch is messed up. So the thumb being there has kept a good latch and kept me close to intervene before he bites. So much for the good old days of reading or watching TV while they nursed :laughing: . Now I'm on bite patrol!

Good luck!
    Laura

6. leahbf

leahbf Member

Thanks to all for your responses. The funny thing is that even though I have been in pain for days, both bad bites didn't even draw blood. But the nipple pain has been, and remains, excruciating.

I called my local La Leche League branch this morning and spoke to a terrific lactation consultant who offered some good advice and suggestions. She suggested the hydrogel pads (the soothies that a PP mentioned) and also trying cabbage leaves to relieve swelling as she believes there may be contusions beneath the surface. I purchased both and tried the hydrogel pad earlier this evening. It may have helped a little, but it's still too early for dramatic results.

If I don't feel relief within another 24 hours, she offered to see me in person to try and rule out anything more serious. I continue to pray that it doesn't turn out to be thrush (which I seriously doubt, considering the timing of the bite and the pain immediately following) but apparently that, or an infection, could develop with even small breaks in the skin.

Thanks for the advice regarding how to ward off another bite in the future. I am a little unclear as to what to look out for, as my biting baby has a shallow latch to begin with, which makes it even more difficult to know when he is pulling off and getting into biting position. The lactation consultant spoke of pulling him even closer to the breast when I may feel a bite coming on, so I have been trying that as well. I am a little confused by the advice about holding the chin, so I guess I'll have to read that one over again to understand it better.

I will let y'all know how things transpire and I am so thankful for your input and moral support. It really does help immensely to know I am not alone!

7. mommyto3boys

mommyto3boys Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice on the biting, but did want to add something that might help for the pain while healing. I had thrush many times when breastfeeding and it was painful for anything to touch my nipple, including a bra or shirt. My lactation consultant gave me some hard breast shells to wear while not breastfeeding. They looked like this - http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/breast-care/102/softshells-for-sore-nipples and worked great for keeping my nipples form becoming more irritated.

8. mish_lewis

mish_lewis Well-Known Member

First I want to say I am so sorry for your pain....I can't imagine how much it must hurt.

I also want to thank you for writing this post.

I have been very interested in this thread....as one of mine (8-1/2 month old) has just cut his two bottom teeth. The other has no teeth, but gums me pretty hard. So I am very nervous about getting bit hard.

Through observation I have noticed this....
    At the beginning of the feeding they are all nursing. As the session starts to slow....CUES for me: (they start pausing, smiling, and looking around)this is when the biting seem to occur. I watch them closely and if they look like they are about to clamp down I pull them off and say no...at this point I end the nursing session.

I am not sure it is the right thing to do....but is seems to be working for us.

Best wishes....I'll be watching this thread!