bald babies and flat heads

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Beth*J, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Since we got home from the NICU about 5 weks ago and have been diligent about "Back to Sleep" my babies have developed gigantic bald spots on the back of their heads. Do all babies have that issue? Will it ever grow back?

Also, I think I'm beginning to notice that Annelise's head is getting a little flat in the back. I called our family doctor (we don't have a ped as the nearest one is an hour away) and asked if I should bring her in or what I should do. We do try to get tummy time in, but apparently it isn't enough. The nurse told me to have her sleep on her side. When we were being discharged from the NICU, the neonatologist specifically told me to put them on their back to sleep, not on their tummies or even their sides. We also have to keep them upright because of their reflux, so much of the time they are sitting in their swing or are in the Danny Sling in bed which is hard to put them on their sides even if I was comfortable doing that. The nurse said she would call me back after talking to the doctor. What do you all think? Do you have suggestions?

2. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

When mine were that little-- I put them on their stomachs and sides ONLY!! I have flat head paranoia!! I'm a preschool teacher and I see flat heads and I know that they last forever!! I found it MUCH easier to keep them on stomachs and sides when they were tiny cuz they never moved!!! I know it's against the rules but I didn't care.. I kept my eye on them anyway.

3. Rose524

Rose524 Well-Known Member

The bald spot is very common. The hair will grow in. My two had bald spots, but it slowly grows in, so I wouldn't worry about that.

As for the flatness, I would still keep them on their backs, put perhaps turn their heads to the side when they are sleeping/napping?

4. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

i slept mine on their sides, too, but if you are not comfortable with that, you could try to lay them on their sides when they're awake, as well? sorry i'm not too much help.....

5. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

My boys sleep a lot in their boppy pillows. The nurse who comes here and there says that is great b/c it keeps them from getting the bald spots and flat heads. They can be on their side but still not have the issue.

Dianna

6. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I had the same fears. I kept them sleeping on their backs, but did turn their heads to the side when they are sleeping. Now Jake prefers one side to sleep on and is getting a flat spot on the side of his head. I would do more tummy time (easier said than done). I felt better if I was holding them. HTH!

7. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine sleep in the boppy pillows, I think that is helping. Mine do have the bald spots but that is where their heads rest on my arm while I am feeding them. Dont worry it will grow back! As far as the flat head, my ped told me with my first dd that if it didnt get too bad that it would eventually correct itself...and she has a perfectly nice round head at three years old!

8. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

The bald spot is totally normal and it will grow back. In regards to the flat spot, we used these boppy nogin and they worked great, we put them in the swing/bouncy when they were in them, we did not use them at night though for fear of suffocation. Once they had good neck control we used the Bumbos, excersuacer, etc and that made the MOST difference.

HTH :)

9. HT

HT Well-Known Member

All 3 of my kids have had a flat spot. You should definitely keep them on their backs when sleeping to prevent SIDS, however you can start doing other things with them when you are supervising - tummy time, using rolled up towels to prop them on their sides, ect. If they have pretty good control of their heads, you can start using an exersaucer for brief periods. The flat spots went away with every one of my kids when they started rolling around, sitting up and crawling. I took my oldest to physical therapy for her flat head and they basically talked to me about tummy time and propping.

All 3 of my kids have had a flat spot. You should definitely keep them on their backs when sleeping to prevent SIDS, however you can start doing other things with them when you are supervising - tummy time, using rolled up towels to prop them on their sides, ect. If they have pretty good control of their heads, you can start using an exersaucer for brief periods. The flat spots went away with every one of my kids when they started rolling around, sitting up and crawling. I took my oldest to physical therapy for her flat head and they basically talked to me about tummy time and propping.

10. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(excitedk @ Mar 25 2008, 03:06 PM) [snapback]686498[/snapback]
    The bald spot is totally normal and it will grow back. In regards to the flat spot, we used these boppy nogin and they worked great, we put them in the swing/bouncy when they were in them, we did not use them at night though for fear of suffocation. Once they had good neck control we used the Bumbos, excersuacer, etc and that made the MOST difference.

That was going to be my suggestion as well! :good: My ds had torticollis, which resulted in his flat head. This Boppy Noggin was the best! I didn't use it at night either but during the day it was where ever he was laying down. Yes, flat heads "can" last forever but I wouldn't suggest letting them sleep on their stomach, I'm sure you wouldn't get much rest being too worried. Good luck!!

11. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

My Joel had torticollis (as of today, he's officially no longer got it!!!) and as a result has plagiocephaly--the flat spot on the side/back of his head. I still lay him on his back to sleep and try and get him to lay on the other side. He is seeing a physical therapist and a neurosurgeon and will most likely be fitted with an orthotic helmet to correct the flat spot and resulting asymmetry.

Ask your pediatrician/family doc for a referral to physical therapy--so much can be done when they are still so little!!

Also, the boppy noggin nest is the BEST thing EVER for these little guys!!! They use them in their carseats, swing, and bouncy and they keep him off the side of his head!

12. DarciH

DarciH Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ivfbound078 @ Mar 25 2008, 06:07 PM) [snapback]686366[/snapback]
    When mine were that little-- I put them on their stomachs and sides ONLY!! I have flat head paranoia!! I'm a preschool teacher and I see flat heads and I know that they last forever!! I found it MUCH easier to keep them on stomachs and sides when they were tiny cuz they never moved!!! I know it's against the rules but I didn't care.. I kept my eye on them anyway.

Ditto on what you said ivfbound - ours slept so much better when we started placing them on their stomachs, which we did when they were about 2 weeks old (I also worried about flat heads). Night & day difference! It's most definitely a personal choice that only you can make and feel good about. I went w/ my instincts and never looked back, and we all rested better for it!