Bald spot?

Discussion in 'General' started by becasquared, Nov 11, 2012.

1. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So Royce had a nasty bump on his head twoish months ago, and when I was cutting his hair yesterday, I noticed that #1 - the goose egg was still there a teensy bit, and #2 - the goose egg was bald. Completely no hair. Not that the hair was there but thin because the bump was spreading the follicles out, but 100% bare.

Has this happened to anyone else? Will it grow back? This is going to make his haircuts way sucky to do, a bald spot and a horrible cowlick within two inches of each other? He's going to have to have longer hair!!

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Bex, are you going to take him in to have it looked at? Odd lumps and bumps freak me out.

3. becasquared

I think I might. I'll definitely call the pediatrician tomorrow, I'm off of work so if we do need to take him in we can. I would have never noticed the bald spot if I hadn't cut his hair. I had noticed the goose egg was still kind of there, in a "oh, weird, that bump never completely went away" like two weeks ago, but easy in easy out in my head.

1 person likes this.
  4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree that getting it checked would probably be a good idea. I would think the hair would grow back. :huh: How big is the bald spot? Is there any redness or itching?

5. becasquared

It's a little larger than a dime. I can use the dime comparison with you, you Ameri-Canadian. It's not bugging him, it's not red or itchy, just bald.

6. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

do you know for a fact that he bumped his head or did it just appear?

7. becasquared

Oh yeah, we know he did it, it happened at school, he fell and hit his head on a metal guard on the playground. They iced it, called us immediately (I knew it was a doozy when they called immediately, for minor bruises and cuts and stuff, they usually just tell me when I pick them up in the afternoon with the accident report filled out), by the time I picked him up it was pretty big, you could see the bruise through his hair for two weeks. It was tender to the touch for a week or so, but he never had any headaches, nausea, visual disturbances, or any sort of abnormal side effects that would make you think it was anything other than a big ole goose egg.

So I've been lacking on cutting his hair, so I grabbed the clippers last night to do it and was very surprised that when I shaved his head there was a bald spot exactly on the top of the knot that was still there. I had noticed two weeks ago or so that he still had a small bump, but I know that really bad bumps can take a while to go away and at the time I thought it had only been a few weeks since it happened and figured it will go away with time.

8. tinalb

Ok, I was interested so I googled. Sounds like it is not unusual after a head injury to lose hair. Probably there was damage to the scalp, possible blood loss to the area while it was injured, which causes the hair to die & fall out a couple of weeks after the injury. According to what I read, it can take 4-6 months to grow back. Still, it would probably be worth getting it looked at if there is still any swelling there at all.

9. becasquared

Yeah, I'm going to take him in tomorrow most likely. It's a school day, but a federal holiday, so I'm off from work. I've got to get a copy of their most recent shots anyway for the daycare.

Thanks guys! I was unsuccessful at googling.

10. becasquared

She said that as long as it wasn't ringworm, it's okay and will most likely grow back. (And if it was ringworm, some antifungal and he would be okay and it would grow back.) I just won't be shaving his head until springtime anyway since it's almost winter.

:smilie_xmas_116:

11. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I am glad to hear it's nothing serious. I am also glad I read this, knowing my kids, I am sure I'll have to deal with something like this later on.

12. becasquared

Ack, I forgot the most important part! She didn't think it was related to the bump on his head at all. She thinks he has alopecia instead.

It's only hair, if it doesn't grow back and bugs him, I'll buy a yellow highlighter for his head. :rotflmbo: Or I'll suck it up and let him grow his hair longish.

1 person likes this.
  13. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Now I need to go google alopecia.

14. tinalb

Ringworm is the reason I asked about itching & redness. I have dealt with that when Tess was 2 and, holy cow, not something you want to deal with on their head. A spot of ringworm (which isn't a worm at all, for anyone who doesn't know, but is actually caused by a fungus) on their body will clear up with cream in about a week. On the head though, it took us a year to get rid of it with Tess. We finally got referred to a dermatologist who said in the hair they have to have oral meds & for 6 weeks!! :faint: But it finally cleared it up.

What are the odds that it would be in the same place but not related to the bump on the head?! :huh:

15. becasquared

I'm going to say that your explanation is most likely the reason. It totally makes sense.

ETA: A friend of mine used clear nail polish in addition to an antifungal on her ringworm spots. She would cover up the spot with the nail polish to keep it from spreading. I don't know how that would work on a head full of hair, but on a hairless spot on the body, it works quite well.

16. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

OK I am really late to this!

But that happened to me.

I had a bump that turned into an infection under my scalp. (the bump was a calcium deposit from an injury). Who knows how it got infected since there was no exterior scrape/sore/etc, but a mystery I guess.

I had the bump removed/drained since it was infected/hot/sore (it had just been a bump for months with no pain or redness). After that it felt so MUCH better--- but a few days later all the hair fell out in a quarter sized circle!!! ACK! I called the Dr and he said it is common if the hair follicles are damaged in anyway (bruising can do it due to the caustic nature of blood) through infection, bruising, injury, etc.

It was bald- bald, as in shiny with no hair bald for a few months and then slowly oh so slowly grew back. It took a while to get it back to where it 'matched' the rest of my hair.Good thing was low enough that I could cover it with the rest of my hair.

I am guess it was due to bruising from his goose-egg since that is what my Dr told me.

1 person likes this.
  17. becasquared

He's still completely bald in the area. But the rest of the hair is starting to cover the spot so it's not obvious. :lol:

Now to figure out why my hair is falling out in chunks. Mikey went to cook breakfast yesterday and when he was done, there was a hair in the eggs. And I wasn't even home.

18. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

just in case this is the cause, it wouldn't hurt to rub/massage it a couple times a day to increase blood flow... it might save you on yellow highlighter! :p

19. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Argh mine is also doing that!! It was also really long but fine so on Friday I got annoyed and cut it just bellow my shoulders. The hairdresser explained all the anesthetic I've had this year is what's causing it. At least its shorter now I suppose. Try a protein shampoo, conditioner and a spray to strengthen it, that's what the hairdresser told me or maybe she just ripped me off $17 each for the three bottles.