Bath time

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by FGMH, Jan 27, 2015.

1. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

It seems some things were easier with my twins than with this little boy. So I have two questions:

He used to love his baths, laughing playing splashing around. Now, he starts crying when I get out the baby bath and will not stop until he is dried and dressed again. I have no memory of any event that might have triggered this. So, it this a normal phase? What could I do to make bath time more pleasant again?

When do you bathe your baby/ies? I used to bathe him mid-morning when the big kids are in pre-school and I have time for him. Our routine was mostly a massage or naked time, bath, nurse, nap. However, as he is crawling now and picking up lots of dirt I would prefer an evening bath. But he is always so tired in the evenings and baths do not calm him down.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Emmett went through a phase like that. I reduced baths to once a week and just used wipes before PJs for a quick wipe down before bed on days he *really* needed it. I also, somewhat counterintuitively, slowed bath time waaaay down. I think we often try to speed the process up to get it over and done with as fast as possible but I found slowing down, explaining what I was going to do, and inviting his participation as much as possible helped. Ultimately, it just wasn't his favorite thing for a long time but we got through it and now he loves bath time again.

Multiplying Memories likes this.
  3. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Thank you for the encouragement. I will try slowing down. With his crying I have been limiting baths to once a week or so and sponge baths on the dressing table as needed and trying a more leisurely pace.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My daughter hated having her hair washed. I can't say I changed our schedule, though. Just figured she'd accept it with time.

If he hates the whole thing how about trying the big tub with a sibling or a new interesting tub toy?

5. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I was also going to recommend moving to the big tub and even sitting in there with him.  I have had to sit in the tub at some point with all my kids when there were tears with bath time.  Good luck!

6. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I agree to try the big bath.  I got an inflatable tub I could put inside the bigger tub, so it was more contained and I could keep them away from the faucets.  It might also be a good idea to get some simple bath toys now.  I only did bath about 2 times a week at that age.

7. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Thank you for the ideas. I might try moving to the big tub and sitting in there with him, I remember having to do that with one of the twins too, but she was a bit older.