Bathing babies too big for the baby bathtub

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rkokinda, Jul 6, 2010.

1. rkokinda

rkokinda Well-Known Member

How do you bathe babies that are too big for the baby bathtub but not good enough sitters to be bathed in the big bathtub without risking life and limb? Anyone use those bath ring seats? Or do you just try to hold them? If you use the rings, do you bathe them both at the same time or one at a time?

Thanks!

2. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

oooh! oooh! I want to know too! What I've been doing is taking one into the shower with me, I place him on the ground, soap him, pick him up in a football hold, turn on the shower rinse him, turn off the water, hand him out to DH and wait for DH to return with the other one so I can repeat. It's not ideal, but the bathtub doesn't work well for me due to my bad back.

3. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We used THIS BATH SLING until they could sit up by themselves in one of the inflatable smaller tubs (that we put inside the bigger tub). We also put the sling right in the big tub and it was so much easier.

4. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

I use this, too. Works great.

5. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

my guys were always so little that it was never an issue. however, i do know folks who dealt with this problem either by exclusively bathing them in the shower (co-showering, if you will) or by putting down a no-slip mat and putting less than an inch of water in the tub and lying them on their backs. so basically there's just a teeny bit of water, not even enough to come up to the tips of their ears, and you do a quick bath so they don't get too cold.

if they really want to be sitting up but aren't quite stable yet, you could try a tub like the one we used where the recline side is for smaller babies and you sit them on the opposite side when they're bigger and want to be upright. that way you're still keeping them in something with a broad base and a low center of gravity that isn't likely to tip, and you're only filling the small tub instead of the big one.

6. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

When our boys were around 9 months old (or 7 months adjusted) we started bathing them in the big bath tub. Not because they outgrew their baby bath tub, but just because it was a hassle to deal with the baby bath tub. I just put one of those $5 baby bath sponge things down in the tub and ran 1-2 inches of water. At first I would bathe one baby at a time, then pass that baby to DH to lotion, diaper, and cloth while I bathed the second baby. However, after a month or so of that I started to bathe them simultaneously. I turned the bath sponge so that it laid "wide-ways" in the middle of the tub. Then I would lay one baby's head on to half of that sponge with his body facing one direction, and then lay the other baby's head on the other half of the sponge with his body facing in the opposite direction. Our 19 year old baby sitter has 5 year old twin brothers and she said that is how her mom bathed both of her brothers at the same time when they were infants, and it worked great for us too!

7. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I never had a consistent place of bathing them! One day it would be in the tub, another time in the duck tub(blow up duck thing...bought at Target), or in the kitchen sink.

I liked the sink as it didn't require bending over! It was right at my level and it was deep! It was great. You might wat to look into the duck possibly, as I could fit both kids in there. Can they sit unassisted for a few minutes? If they weren't sitting up well on their own, I bathed them one at a time until they both were.

8. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

I wasn't very consistent either for their first 7 months. They pretty much hated baths until recently, so it was always an ordeal. We tried a little FP baby bath tub, the huge primo baby bath tub, a bath sling, the duck, bath sponge, etc. I not only hated dealing with their screaming during and after baths, but also just getting their baths prepped and ready and then everything cleaned up afterwards. I bought that blow up duck bathtub from Target as well. I thought it was cute and would make bath time fun...but our boys were having a tough time with baths as it was and I distinctly remember them screaming bloody murder when being placed in that giant (to them) yellow duck tub, LOL! We only used it once, then I tried to sell it at our MOMs Resale this spring only to realize the darn thing wouldn't blow up. My evil cat probably punctured it <_< :lol: It gets great reviews though and I bet most babies would love it!

9. Kateryna

Kateryna Well-Known Member

Bath rings were amazing for us. We used two at the same time and kids liked it. It's harder to get to certain areas but it was so much easier ecaus they did not slip and slid everywhere and saved time bathing two at a time.

10. kerina313

kerina313 Well-Known Member

Mine are only 2 months old - so I basically lay them on a towel on the floor and "sponge" bathe them. This also lets my 4 year old be involved. However, I do have the "mini" bathtub that I used with my first that allows them to recline until they can sit up properly. I used it with my eldest in the tub, but tried it with the twins in the sink. I have a hose sprayer which helped. But then my 4 year old couldn't help and my 2 month olds are very squirmy. So floor works for us for now.

11. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We used the transitional tub from One Step Ahead until they were really sitting well. I could bathe them both at the same time and keep them contained in the big tub. This worked really well for us.

12. rkokinda

rkokinda Well-Known Member

Thank for all of the responses!

Those of you who used bath rings, can you post links to the ones you used? I never see them in the store...

13. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We used bumbos. :D

14. beckman445

beckman445 Well-Known Member

I think they might have stopped making the ones we have because I only see them on-line used. I use these seats; we had one from our oldest and then happened upon another one at a garage sale and snatched it up. We're able to bathe both boys at once using these. Here's a link to another similar ring, but they're all pretty pricey.

Laura

15. cat mommy

question: How do you keep a baby who is trying to squirm and sit up (but is still a tipsy siiter) secure in a sling, reclining baby tub or blow up tub while also washing and rinsing him? Cause I only have two hands :(

16. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

We used this. We would put it in the bathtub and fill the tub with a couple inches of water.

17. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I went cheap and placed the sponge bear sideways across the tub. I then laid them both down and washed them quickly. Once they started sitting somewhat, they got a lot better quickly so it wasn't too long.

18. Double Vision

Double Vision Well-Known Member

I didn't read all the replies, so sorry if this is a repost....but a small round or square laundry basket is your best bathtub friend. I have found the smaller ones to contain them easier than the rectangle one. Put one in the basket while you are bathing the other one and then I had a basket outside the tub and would wrap up the clean baby and put her in the basket and bathe the other.

I feel like I have mastered baths, but it was through much tears and frustration (and I have my hubby to help). There seems to be so much to do at night time that I was bound to figure a way to get them both in and out and then lotion and pjs.

Good Luck, hope it works, just try it out - I am sure we all have plenty of laundry baskets and if not, we could all use more.

19. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

We used this duck tub for my first: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000066665
    I'm surprised two babies fit in it, but there is a picture on Amazon with twins it it.

20. cat mommy

Tell me more about this laundry basket thing, please :) Do they sit in it? Lie on their tummies? Scream their heads off? Tip it over? I'm gonna give it a try....I think. I guess it would work like a really small pnp....maybe ;)

21. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I always just bathed them in the kitchen sink after they outgrew the baby tub. It was easier on my back.

22. Double Vision

Double Vision Well-Known Member

get the small round or square laundry baskets. And put one in the basket in the tub while you bathe the other one then wrap that baby in the towel and put it in the basket outside the tub (with toys involoved)and fisnish bathing the other one. It is so doable. The taller the basket the longer they will stay in it when they start to sand up. Get a small rectangle tall basket, they will just sit in ti because the space is so small, if they are older, like mine, and they stand up, the basket will be tall enough to handle them.

good luck, pm me if you want to know more details, it so works for us!