Bathing frequency

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Beth*J, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I keep reading posts of people who bathe their babies every day. We were on a twice a week schedule in the NICU and we're still only bathing them twice a week. Should we be giving them baths more often? Annelise has pretty bad eczema, so I've been trying to avoid doing anything to aggravate that. Of course I wash their faces daily and and their diaper areas gets cleaned up several times a day and any other part that seems dirty. Are there others out there whose babies are 6-8 months old who aren't doing daily baths?

2. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

I do baths every other day. Sometimes every day but only if they are very dirty from eating spaghetti or lasagne or biter biscuits or something.

3. Marya

Marya Well-Known Member

Our boys are at 6 months now and we were only doing twice a week - my plan was to start everyother day now. It's a good question!

4. Erineliza

Erineliza Well-Known Member

We are not quite 6 mo. They get baths every three days or so. I was wondering if I wasn't bathing them enough either...

5. annelily2000

annelily2000 Well-Known Member

My boys only get baths like every 3 days too. Unless they get really wild with their food or we are going to somewhere then , I just plop them down in the sink. I was wondering this too.

6. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Yeah, they don't need baths all that often. I was doing it every 2-3 days I think at that age.

7. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

we do baths every other day & have been since around 2 months ~

8. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

We did every 3 days or so until 8/9 months when they started to get messy eating, and since/now we do them every other day. It is really dry here so it is best not to bath them unless they need it.

9. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

We do daily baths and find that it HELPS the eczema - 2 of our kids have it pretty bad. I think it helps the problem because it washes away all the sweat, dust, allergens, etc., that build up every day, plus the lukewarm water opens up their pores, so that we can moisturize really well afterwards (with aquaphor on face and lotion on body) and the moisture gets sucked right into those open pores!

10. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

We were bathing every other day at six months (and still are).

11. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

We do daily bathes here. DD had some really dry skin and DS is sensitive but we use some Aveeno oatmeal wash and then Eucerin lotion that has the least amount of alcohol in it. There are also some great organic lotions and washes that are just for babies with dry skin if you want to bath them more often.

12. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We do twice a week here. I too always worried it wasn't enough(from reading here) and in the beginning-we were lucky if we remembered to bathe them twice a week! I asked the pedi-and he said twice a week was totally fine. And if they do get extra messy-then they get a bath, otherwise-we wash them down really well-or I use those J&J wipe things-which are great!

Oh-and they get biter biscuits on bath days! :)

13. belinda07

belinda07 Well-Known Member

I usually bath them every day, unless I am particularly tired, in that case I skip a day. I love a clean freshly bathed baby!!!. Lacey gets eczema too, and I find it helps if I bath her every day, that way I can keep an eye on it and really moisturize her up. :)

14. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

We do every 2-3 days. DS has excema and the bath seems to dry him out so I'm hesitant to increase to every day. If they are really crabby though I'll do an extra bath just because they love love love bathtime.

15. allboys

allboys Well-Known Member

We do twice a week. Too hard to bathe every day for me.

16. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

At that age we definitely were only doing once/twice a week! Faces and privates were obviously washed down often, but other than that.... :nea: ! If they got dirty or had bugspray/sunscreen on, they did get an 'extra' bath.

Now however...between being outside (bugspray/sunscreen) and more independent eating (oatmeal in the hair is hard to get out!) they get them way more frequently, but still not every day.

17. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

Twice a week here too. Thinking of moving to three times though since they've started getting food everywhere!

18. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

We bath everyday, but only for the routine purpose, as they dont get that dirty right now. Plus they really like the bath, it stretches out their awake time from 1.5hrs to 2 hrs or sometimes even a bit longer.
    My ds had exzema in the beginning too, one dr said don't bath very often, the other dr said to bath everyday to help it. So we started bathing everyday (no soap in the bath tub, just plain old water), and then put lotion on him afterwards and it has helped his skin quite a bit.

19. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

My two don't have ezema and it varies from 2-3 days. If I find they missed a good nap I will bath them and put them back down for a nap. I still wash them in the sink or now one can sit so she will be in the tub.

Heather

20. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I would say every 3 days or so when they were that age, unless they were covered with food or something. When you think about it, how dirty does a baby really get? I did not have help with baths at that age, and my muscles were still apart, so it hurt my back a lot to bathe them. They aren't like adults, they really don't need daily baths.