Bathing Twins Together?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by PurplePenguin, Dec 26, 2011.

1. PurplePenguin

PurplePenguin Active Member

My girls are sitting up now (not perfectly all the time but they're getting there) and I'm wondering about the best way to bathe them.
    How did you bathe your twins once they could sit up without toppling over?

I feel like buying a baby bathtub is a waste of money if we can just bathe them in the tub together. I assume we'd need something to prevent their little tushies from slipping in the tub. :)

Also, do you get in the tub with them or sit next to it?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Kitchen sink? Seriously! My twins were never bathed there but my youngest had a fear of the bathtub and the sink worked. There is support and you are standing right there. I did bath my twins together in the tub alone when they were able to sit up very well. Before that I would have them just laying down in the tub with a couple inches of water and the baths were quick.

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also laid mine in the tub until they could sit really well, once they could hold their heads up well I would roll them onto their tummies in the tub with just a small amount of water,and of course I was sitting right there with them. I rarely got into the tub with them because then I had to get out first and get dried off/dressed before getting them out, and by then they would be cold.

I also did the kitchen sink, folded up a towel and set it in the sink with it draped up over the edge, but long enough to go under their butt. So it was kinda in an L shape, under their butt and behind their back. Then leaned them against it and washed them with a wash cloth. It worked for awhile, but I had chunky babies and they didn't enjoy it for too long ;)

4. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

We used the bathroom sink for a long time. But our babies were small. Our kitchen sink is huge, I think I could still fit one of my toddlers in there now in an emergency ...

Once we moved to the big tub I either bathed them one after the other (one baby in the tub and one in a swing with me kneeling next to the tub, then switch) or I did get in with them, washed them both, set them down on pre-warmed towels beside the tub and got out myself and just threw on a warm bathrobe until the babies were both dried and dressed before drying and dressing myself (I always dried and dressed the babies first but I was usually pretty miserable by the time I got dressed).

5. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I did a baby tub in the sink until they could sit up on their own really well. I just preferred that.

But once they could sit really well on their own and they were bigger, they both went into the regular tub together! They loved it! I did put down a rubber mat to help with the slipping and it worked out great. They really loved crawling around in there together.

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did a baby tub until they could sit up well. Once they sat up, we used the tub. One picture I saw on here was someone did use the bumbo seats in the tub with their twins. I never tried it but I thought it was a good idea!

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I did the kitchen sink until they could sit really well, too. I tried the bumpos but they floated in water with my guys. What we eventually did was put a sticky bath mat down for them to sit on and at first it was 1 at a time then as they got used to bath equilibrium both at once.

8. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Ditto the kitchen sink. We bathed the girls in there until they were more interactive during bath time. It just made life so much easier.

9. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

We used the Bumbo seats in the tub. They loved it! My guys were on the bigger side though (18lbs at 4 months!), so that may have helped keep the seats from floating. We also had to make sure that the water level only came up to a certain point (I think it was just below the leg holes) or else they would start to float.

10. PurplePenguin

PurplePenguin Active Member

Thanks, Everyone!

We bathe them one at a time now in the infant tub in the sink. It's been good, but I think starting next month we need to move them to something bigger. They make such a splashy mess! They're just too big for it.

The bumbo idea is cute, but I don't have bumbo seats. I guess I will start with the anti-slip mat, and start with one a time in the tub and see how she likes it. Once I feel confident enough that she can sit there without falling over, I'll bring the other one in!

I'm so looking forward to getting bath toys for them to play with!

11. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Really, they don't have to be able to sit. As long as they aren't scared of the water, lay them on their bellies in the tub! They'll splash around, maybe get a face full of water a few times, but most kids love it. I have several pics of adorable little baby bottoms sticking up in our bathtub ;) You just put an inch or two of water in and make sure you are right there the whole time and they'll probably have a blast ;)

12. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

once our twins got a little bit bigger we started laying them in the tub on their backs. then when they could flip over we just layed them on their backs and if they flipped we turned them back over. Then when they could sit up we just gave them baths in the bathtub at the same time, still do. They love it.

13. huldaorra

huldaorra New Member

Little late in replying
    but I use a bath seats, simmilar to this one http://www.amazon.com/Aquababy-Bath-Ring-Pink-White/dp/B002OCDA04/ref=sr_1_20?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1325981440&sr=1-20
    I can then do stuff in the bathroom while the are in the tub (like cleaning the sink or folding laundry).
    Works very well and the girls are very happy :)

14. Silly_Putty

Silly_Putty Well-Known Member

We did baby tub in the kitchen one at a time, then I moved the baby tub into the bathtub and did one at a time in there until they were very good at staying up on their own. Otherwise I had help and did both together. I have a no slip mat in there. I bought a bath seat but my kids didn't fit well in it. It smooshed their chub. haha Never tried the Bumbos but I know technically it's considered unsafe.

Now they are always in together and it's always a party in the tub. haha