bedrest activities

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by danasacks, Oct 4, 2011.

1. danasacks

danasacks Active Member

Ladies I am on my 13th week of bedrest and I am only on my 22nd week of pregnancy. Yes, you read that right. I AM GOING NUTS! Anybody got any suggestions for things to do? I have watched plenty of television, completed my baby registry, and read many books and magazines. My husband is suggesting I learn a new language or "get a hobby". Any creative ways to pass another 13 weeks laying down?

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I read tons, crosswords, word searches, started watching new series on my laptop on project free tv, it's how I became addicted to The Secret Life of the American Teenager. I also did paint by numbers. I know how much bedrest sucks. You are doing great!

3. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I spent 17 weeks on bedrest so I remmeber the pain! You are doing great growing your babies.

My sanity saver was that I was able to work from home on bedrest, in bed on my left side with the laptop. If that is not an option how about some challenging long distance learning course, something you always were interested in and never found time for, e.g. a new language, a period in history you love, a science course? Having to concentrate for a few hours every day really helped take my mind off the worries for the babies. I also took up crocheting again which I had not done for years, baby blankets, easy baby clothes etc. - I loved doing something productive for the babies.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think an online class (strictly online) might be a good way to go with a community college. You'll have deadlines & be learning something hopefully interesting.

I also worked from home, although it wasn't very much fun for me- I got frustrated typing one handed quickly. ;)

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I personally would learn a new language. Maybe invest in Rosetta Stone and a couple of television series? I crochet and found out that I couldn't crochet while on bed rest because I need to be propped up to do it. I watched about eleventymillion episodes of Charmed while on bedrest.

6. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

Hooray for you and the sacrifice you are making for your babies. I also recommend enrolling in online classes or taking the initiative to learn something new, just do it for personal enjoyment and not to earn credit - too many of the on-line schools take your money and don't give you a meaningful degree/certificate.

I am somewhat perfectionistic and like sewing, so when I was on bedrest I got a cross stitch on-line and spent a lot of time forming perfect little x's and learning different sewing techniques. I got so focused on sewing that the time just passed.

Like PP, I was also able to work from home and that saved my sanity. I'm not sure what you do and if working at home is an option, but maybe you could find a part time, work-from home job (something like grant writing). If working is not an option, perhaps start a blog about something (other than bedrest) that you're good at.

7. leaudemiel

leaudemiel Well-Known Member

You can do it!!!

I was on for a bit. I couldn't knit because my arms started spazing out! I would recommend calling your public library and see if they have online classes available. Ours has something called Metrix that teaches computer skills and stuff like that, at least your brain can get a workout!

I also watched a lot of bad tv. It was really hard. But the boys came out at 37 weeks, at almost 5 and 6 pounders! So its worth it!!!

8. praises1139

praises1139 Well-Known Member

so sorry you have to be on it so long!!!
    i worked my first 7 wks of bedrest with a laptop. it was not the easiest thing to do and as the weeks went on, there was less i could do from home and it was hard for me to be on a laptop for long periods. this 8th week i was put on Procardia for increasing contractions, so i stopped working and i've been lying on my side more than i was before.

other stuff i've been doing to pass the time: VISITORS!! (this is a lifesaver for me), TV (we don't have cable so i just watch local channels and Netflix/Hulu Plus), staying connected with people on facebook, writing thank you notes, filing/organizing papers, taking care of things like joining our local twins/triplets organization, ordering stamps, brushing up on my road signs since my license is about to expire, finished our registries, ordering baby stuff we still need, researching what to pack for the hospital (and packing the bag little by little), reading books, writing grocery and to-do lists for hubby (he loves this, haha), cutting out recipes from magazines...i still have a lot more i want to read and i don't think i'll even get to another project i wanted to work on: organizing our many photos!!!!!