Bedrest at 23 weeks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by scarlett2angels777, Oct 29, 2009.

Is anyone getting progesterone shots to prevent preterm labor? I've been having braxton hicks contractions since I was 17 weeks so my Maternal Fetal doc put me on procardia. Last week he found some cervix shortening so he recommended doing weekly progesterone shots.

Scarlett2angels

1. magictouch

magictouch Member

hi, I was just responding to your post in the other thread...didn't want to hijack TwinBabes thread. I have been on complete bedrest for the past 6 weeks now for funneled and shortened cervix...so I'm already doing the lying down bit. I don't have any regular contractions so I'm not on any medication. My MFM didn't see any problems with the growth scans so I'm not worrying about it yet. PTL is still the number 1 concern.

Goodluck with your bedrest. It seems like your MFM is on top of everything. I think 17P injections are a good idea because I saw many women on this forum saying good things about it.

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't have experience with the progesterone shots, but my next door neighbor had them with babies #3 and 4. And they worked great for her! In fact baby #4 (was just born in Aug) was 2 days late. Good luck.

3. lozgab

lozgab New Member

At 24 weeks, I went in to see my Dr. for a routine exam and ultrasound. I complained of vaginal pressure and stomach tightening. My Dr performed a vaginal ultrasound and discovered a shortening cervix. I had never heard of a shortening cerevix so I did not ask what it measured at that point. She also put me on a monitor to see if I was contracting. At that point I had sporatic contractions but nothing to be concerned about. She started me on progesterone shots and modified bedrest. By my next appt. the following week my cervix had further shortened and could not be measured. I had a positive fetal fibronectin test and was contracting. The only positive was that I was not dialating. I was hospitalized for observation and given Nifedipine to stop my contractions. I was also given steroids to speed lung production. I was sent home 24hrs later once my contractions were controlled. I've been home since then on bedrest. I am hoping to reach my short term goalof 28wks which will be on Nov. 17. That is the only thing I think of when I get tired or stressed. I have a Dr.appt tomorrow and hope to get some good news. I am pregnant with a boy and girl after going through a second invitro fertilization and these babies are a miracle. That is the thought that keeps me going and reading everyone's success stories.

4. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Hi, I was on BR at 23 weeks 6 days for PTL and a very short cervix (6mm). I was in and out of the hospital about 5 times. I was on procardia to stop contractions and weekly p-17 shots. My MFM said the p-17 was proven to help in singleton pregnancies, but still experimental in twins. But there was no harm in trying. I also had mag sulfate and all of the other drugs at some point when I was hospitalized. I made it to 36 weeks with my b/g twins.
    Good luck. I hope the p-17 shots do the trick! take care.

5. Zevy

Zevy Active Member

I take progesterone suppositories rather than the shots, but its the same idea. I have a shortened cervix, irritable uterus.

6. adrianna_hartmann

adrianna_hartmann Active Member

Hi- don't want to change the topic here, but wanted to offer a little encouragement. While I did not have a shortening cervix, I did have a positive FFN at 27 weeks (FFNs were started at 25 weeks after unexplained bleeding). I was put on strict bedrest, hospitalized for 6 days, given the steriod shots. I delivered via scheduled c-section at 37 weeks. Yes, 10 weeks later they TOOK the babies! You can make it! Good luck!