Bedrest at 25 weeks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Daffodils, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Daffodils

Daffodils Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to the boards. I'm Leah, I'm 24, and expecting twin boys in December. Last week, I was admitted to the hospital because my cervix shrunk from 36mm to 11mm in about 3 weeks. I was on hospitalized bedrest for a week, then because my cervix hadn't changed, I wasn't having contractions, and my FFN was negative, they sent me home to be on complete bedrest at home. They think I'll make it to at least 28 weeks (I'm 26 weeks along now).

I'm just finding bedrest challenging physically and emotionally. Looking for others going through a similar situation.

2. Surrodoula

Surrodoula Well-Known Member

I was put on strict bedrest at 28 1/2 weeks when I went into the hospital with frequent Braxton Hicks, and an ultrasound and cervical exam showed my cervix had shortened to 4 mm and was 1 cm dilated. It had measured long 2 weeks prior (I wasn't given an actual length). I just started my 7th week of bedrest and will be able to go off completely on the 27th when I hit 36 weeks. A week ago I was told that my cervix is dilated to 4 cm. Obviously, the bedrest is doing some good since I've been able to hold off labour for this long despite the fact that my cervix has still changed. I'm actually surprised that I've lasted this long! I just wanted to give you some hope that maybe you will make it long past 28 weeks!

Bedrest is definitely physically and emotionally challenging! I find it so frustrating that there are so many things I can't do!

3. Daffodils

Thanks Tammy for your reply! It seems that the more I read around on the site, the more I find women who were told they might not make it to this date or that date, but have made it way past. You're almost to 36 weeks! That's amazing. I certainly hope I can make it that far.

It definitely is hard being at home and seeing all the things I could do, but knowing that I cant. At my appt today, I had my doc print out pics of my boys and my cervix, and I keep it with me on the futon (my main bedrest station) to remind me why I'm laying down and not up doing all those other things that could be getting done. It's just really hard.

4. redux

redux Member

Hi Leah,

Good for you for hanging in to this point after getting that news about your cervix. You and I are at about the same point in our pregnancies... I am 25w5d with girl/boy twins and have been on modified bedrest since getting cerclage 7 weeks ago... I was almost 19 weeks at the time and had funneling of the cervix. It had shortened to 1.3 cm and was dilated 1cm. Since then it has remained firm and stable, and my OB expects me to make it to 28 weeks... possibly beyond. I am trying to get through each day... setting small goals, then weekly goals.

But I agree, bed rest is hard, as is the anxiety that every little thing might be an indicator of preterm labour... more Braxton Hicks, losing some mucus plug, worrying about sneezing causing membranes to rupture. What has really helped me on bed rest is having a laptop to send and get emails, check this forum, play music, and see what's going on in the world. For some strange reason I can't concentrate on reading books so I just deal with magazine articles instead. Luckily I have someone to help 2 days a week with groceries, laundry, and taking care of my 5 year old son when he's done kindergarten. If anyone says to you "If there's anything I can do, let me know..." take them up on it and pin them down!!!! One of my friends (she is amazing) has offered to cook a dish once a week like lasagne, or pick up anything while she's out shopping. Other people can help you by getting books, CDs, DVDs from the library - sometimes you can reserve these online if your library does this. Or ask a friend to drop over for a SHORT visit (do you feel safe having DH leave the door unlocked for a pre-arranged time?), but they MUST come with something, like a snack, a meal, a book or a trashy magazine!! It probably sounds selfish, but I kind of resent it when people come empty-handed and then go and help themselves to something out of your fridge that has been hard for you to get in the first place, or something someone else has brought for you and your family because you can't get it or make it yourself. You are not to be hostess.

Hope some of this helps, good luck to you and let me know how you're doing!

Erin

5. Daffodils

Hi Erin! That's amazing that you've done such a good job so far! It's nice to have someone else that's at the same point in their pregnancy. I was so happy waking up this morning knowing that I'm 26 weeks today...just two more weeks till the next milestone and then hopefully beyond. I also got really excited when I logged on here and saw my ticker say "I am 26 weeks pregnant..." it's the little things I suppose. My laptop has been my savior so far, though I havent yet figured out a comfortable side-lying position for typing, Im currently on my back but propped up a bit reclining on pillows with the computer on my lap.

I'm the same way as you as far as not being able to read books...I have plenty of them (my boyfriend works at a bookstore!), but I cant seem to concentrate, so he's started bringing me home magazines instead. We've actually already set up a system of hidden keys outside our apartment so I can have visitors! I live on the second story, so they have to get into the main building door and then my apartment door too. So far, everyone that's been over has brought something, which is nice. Today I actually have a friend coming over who is a licensed massage therapist who is going to give me a quick backrub! I'm finding bedrest to be really hard physically, I hate taking tylenol all the time, but my body just HURTS from lying down.

I read on one of the success stories here that the woman celebrated milestones, had a little mini party. I was thinking about doing that, well, every week really since from what the docs said, I'll be lucky for every week I get. So maybe i'll have DBF pick up some sparkling cider or something on the way home from work, and we can have a toast. I'm still shocked at how suddenly this has come about, especially since I'm lucky enough to not have contractions or anything else that might have indicated a problem.

I'm also the same way as far as worrying about everything, like a sneeze or a cough, or even pushing too hard when I use the bathroom! I think "oh god cervix, please hold". I cant possibly imagine doing this for many more weeks, though I hope that I do. It's weird, you know, having to look forward to something that you really dont want to do? Its like, I want these boys to bake till 36 weeks, but 10 more weeks on bedrest!?!? It creates a conflict in my mind, you know?

6. evelynforns

evelynforns New Member

Hello Everyone!

I am 24w3d. I had a cerclage put in at 21 weeks, and have been on strict bedrest also. I am having such a hard time, getting bored very easily. I am so thankful for each day so far that has gone by, and nothing has gone wrong. Ladies, we can do it!!!

7. redux

redux Member

Hi Leah, congratulations on making 26 weeks (and 1 day now)!!! This is great news. Today is 26 weeks for me. We are all getting through this day by day! Evelyn, congrats to you too on making it as far as you have.

Leah, I know exactly what you mean about finding a comfy position in which to use the laptop... sometimes I have to prop mine at an angle against my body pillow as I lie sideways and type with one hand... even then it's a bit awkward. That is great that you have some good friends and visitors. And someone who will give you a massage! And I agree about the idea of mini-celebrations for the milestones. I remember seeing on another website that a good way to stay sane is to celebrate the milestones as if you've just scored a touchdown...and then turn your attention to staying in the game and scoring again.

I had another u/s yesterday which showed the twins are doing well... one weighs just over 2 lbs, the other is just under 2 lbs. So far the cerclage is holding, even though what's left of my cervix measures 1.1 cm. I am starting to notice more frequent pain in the pelvic bones when I get up... I remember that from when I was in my first pregnancy, in the 9th month. Can I ever relate to your fear about bathroom breaks! Even having a shower puts me on edge, although I always feel great afterward.

Keep up the good work... hang in there!

Erin

8. Daffodils

Welcome Evelyn, congrats on making it this far! It is really hard to combat boredom. It's hard to feel like you're doing "something" by doing nothing, you know? But we all are.

Erin - wow your beans are bigger than mine! Well, my last checkup was last week at 25 weeks, and Isaac (baby a) was 1lb8oz, and Gabe (baby b) was 1lb12oz. That's awesome though! I'm trying to down the protein shakes nightly to help them grow. I'm like trying to will the boys to gain weight! You can feel a bit more secure knowing that you have a cerclage though, at least knowing that something is physically holding you together! I got nothin. And I was at .9 cm yesterday. Ehhh. Stupid cervix. I know it's possible though to stay around 1cm for weeks. Another girl I know who's having twins, I think she's about a week ahead of us, her cervix is measuring 4.6cm! I'm thinking that i'm happy for her, but why can't my cervix cooperate like that!?! :)

I'm also nervous when I shower, I only do so every other day. It's not like I'm sweating or exerting myself at all! I'm nervous when I do pretty much anything, I even feel guilty when I sit up to eat.

9. redux

redux Member

Leah, that's great your babes are coming along so well... I would think that by now they'd be around 2 lbs and over! Just curious... what do you put in your shakes for protein? Yogurt? Soy powder? I should get onto those too, and get these little ones beefed up.

It must be scary with no cerclage, and down to .9 cm. Wouldn't it be nice to have a 4-cm cervix?! But look how far you've come, that is so encouraging - you are obviously doing something right! These are really nerve-wracking times. TMI alert: I am losing a bit of the mucus plug every couple of days, but my OB says not to worry, it's leaking fluid that would be the problem. How often is your doctor having you come in for check-ups... and is he/she doing digital exams? There seem to be different approaches out there... some doctors (like mine) say the only way to check for effacement/dilation is through weekly digital exams... and others seem to want to interfere down there as little as possible.

One thing that strikes me is how different this pregnancy is from my first one... I sailed through that one (a singleton) without any problems or concerns... except a fear of labour of course, and even that wasn't bad once the epidural kicked in. Now, I'm on orange alert all the time.

Code:

[​IMG]

10. Daffodils

Oh I'm totally on orange alert too! I've also lost most of my mucus plug, I started losing it about a week before I went in the hospital, but I didnt know thats what it was. I just thought it was normal pregnancy increase in discharge. But then when I asked the doc about it at the hospital, she said because it was (TMI!) snotty in texture, it was probably my mucus plug. Lovely.

As for the protein shakes, we put whole milk, whey protein (all natural, vanilla flavor), chocolate ice cream, and peanut butter. Yeah. Its got a gazillion calories and a ton of protein. I've been drinking those nightly for week, and I've only managed to put on 20 lbs total so far (I did start out a bit overweight to begin with though). I feel like it's helped though, since the boys are good sizes. Oh and the protein we get is "optimum nutrition" brand, its one of the few all natural brands that we've found, we get it at the Vitamin Shoppe.

My doc has me coming in weekly for check ups, and they do an internal ultrasound to measure the length of my cervix and a digital exam to check for dilation. I've been 1 to 1 1/2 cm dilated for a week. It is scary to think about having so little of a cervix...especially because I was like 3.6 cm a few weeks ago. It's just hard to know that there's nothing I did to cause it, I mean I'm glad I didnt do anything, but at the same time, there's no reason this is happening, you know? It's just scary. I have nothing to compare it to since this is my first pregnancy to make it this far. But now I'm scared that any subsequent pregnancy will be affected, even though it doesn't necessarily mean that will happen.

How often are you going into the doc? At first I was kind of wary of all these ultrasounds, but frankly, I'd rather know how long my cervix is, so bring on the ultrasounds!

11. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    My twins are over a year now. I had a 6 mm cervix at 24 weeks. I was also in the hospital one week and then sent home for bed rest. I was in and out of the hospital a few times to stabilize the contractions. I did not have a cerclage. My dd's sac was too close to the cervical opening. I made it to 36 weeks and our twins were 5 and 5.5 pounds. My son had a few lung issues when he was born, but they are both very healthy now. Yes, it sounds like you can keep going and make it beyond 28 weeks. Good luck! Beth

12. Daffodils

Beth - Your story makes me feel so much better! Those are really awesome birth weights, and I'm glad your twins are doing so well, even after some lung issues! Hearing others' stories of success really encourage me to keep going. It gets so frustrating and hard, but it's wonderful to be reminded of how worth it it is! :)

13. redux

redux Member

Hi, Leah... thanks for your great recipe for protein shakes. It sounds so good... and DH will be going out this aft to pick up some ingredients! Yes, high-cal, but as you say it's so important right now to get those babies' weights up.

That's good you're being checked so frequently at your doctor's. It's probably the only way to stay on top of things and try to put your mind at ease - but that's easier said than done! I'm going in once a week to see the OB (digital exam, urine, BP, weight, and Doppler to check babies' heartbeats) and then every two weeks for u/s - external and internal. I was a bit leery of getting the digital check so frequently but my OB explained that it is the most accurate and reliable measure of effacement and dilation, whereas an internal u/s will only measure length of cervix. I actually found out Friday that the funneling above the stitch was wider/shallower... but was told that's not an issue unless the funneling extends down below the cerclage. And Baby's head is always right there at the cervix!!

I totally get your fear and frustration over how and why the cervix issues happen. It is a good thing they caught you when they did, and got you on bed rest right away. From what I understand, now that our problem has been identified, people like us would normally get a cerclage placed in any subsequent pregnancies at between 12 and 14 weeks as a preventative measure. It's weird - I remember at about 16-17 weeks having a lot of discharge and lower pelvic pain or weight... but never thought my cervix might be funneling and shortening. Thank God it was discovered during the routine 18-week u/s. Even one of my OBs, the one who did the cerclage, always expresses surprise that I have made it this far (i.e. 7 1/2 weeks after surgery) - so the odds can be defied! And you are doing so well to have made it this far... especially without a cerclage. Try to keep up your spirits, and know you are doing the absolute best thing you can by being on bed rest and taking care of yourself. Sometimes I feel so powerless about all of this, and then I think that okay, if bed rest is the one thing I can control, then I'm hitting that bed hard!

Beth, it's great that your babies are doing so well, your story really gives me hope that enormous odds can be overcome. Did you get steroid shots? Or did the docs decide against it, or was there no time?

14. Daffodils

Erin - I forgot to say too about the shakes, we really don't measure per se, I mean it really depends on the consistency you want, whether you want it to be more of a drink or more like ice cream, you know? We do use about a scoop and a half of protein powder, and that makes enough for both me and DBF to have a shake (he's skinny and always trying to gain weight!).

Yeah I'm happy to be having such frequent check, an frankly it gives me an outing to look forward to every week! Woohoo my one time out of the house! That's awesome that they caught yours when they did too, and were able to do the cerclage. If you dont mind my asking...did it hurt? I assume you have some kind of anesthesia for the procedure, but what about afterwards? Can you feel it? I'm just curious because I too have read that we would normally get one early one for subsequent pregnancies.

Sunday, I've found, is an easier bedrest day for me because I love football, so I literally just lay on my futon all day and watch football! Unfortunately though I am a Cleveland Browns fan, so I don't really have alot to look forward to LOL. Today DBF has charged me with the task of looking through all our cookbooks and deciding what meals I want him to cook me for the rest of the week. It makes it seem much more manageable to me to think of it like that, in days or even a week. It's hard for me to think that hopefully I could potentially be on bedrest for another 10 weeks. But you're right about the control thing. Apparently I cannot control my cervix, but I can control my body at least as far as positioning and pressure on the cervix goes! My baby A is always right on my cervix too! I always think "come on buddy, you're not helping yourself. just back up a teensy bit!".

Oh well, here's to another 10 uneventful weeks on bedrest! :)

15. redux

redux Member

Hi Leah, the cerclage procedure did not hurt, but then again they did it under general anesthetic. I was a wreck about that when it was explained to me that there was a slight chance of losing the babies due to the anesthetic. But when the anesthesiologist assured me he had been present for so many cerclages, and that the risk from the anesthetic was far less than the risk from NOT getting the cerclage, that helped make up my mind in a hurry. (My OB was really non-committal about whether I should get cerclage. He thought it was too late.) I stayed overnight in the hospital because of cramps and bleeding, which lasted off and on for a couple of days. Then for awhile I was aware of a pulling or tugging in a horizontal line way down low. I'm guessing that was the sensation of the stitch. But these was no residual pain. I was given Indocin for the cramps right after the surgery to settle the uterus, then later that night was offered morphine during a particularly bad bout of cramps. (That one I turned down because they said it would cross the placenta). Other than that, the cramps just felt like menstrual cramps so it wasn't bad.

YOU, have a great DBF! He is menu planning for the week? Wow, that is so nice. And so important for you. I find meals hard - not that I cook anymore, but it would be great to have something for meals other than yogurt, cheese, bread and pickles. (Which I love, but a hot meal more often would be great! Complain much?) My DH gets home from work too late to cook dinner, when you factor in that he feeds our DS and then bathes and preps him for bed. A friend of mine has been cooking a meal a week, but man, would it be great to have a few frozen meals on hand at dinner time!

Sounds like you've had a great Sunday if you're a football fan! And hey, it's nice to support the home team, right? Watching all day probably makes the time go a bit faster too.
    Here's sending a whole lot of positive vibes your way... right down to those sweet little boys in their cozy nest!

16. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Hi Leah,

I am 26 weeks as well, expecting our boy hopefully in Dec, and I am also on strict bed rest. I went into pre term labour at exactly 24 weeks, spent a week in the hospital and then sent home as my contractions where under control. When I left the hospital 2 weeks ago I was 60% effaced and 1.5 cm dialated. Baby A, Nathaniel, is so low they can touch him during the exam. Our goal at the moment is 32 weeks.

It is hard, but you can do it. I also have a 22 month old son, and I find it hard with him, only because he doesnt understand. All the girls here are wonderful, and supportive. Good luck.

17. Daffodils

Erin - That makes me feel better, about the cerclage in case I have to get one next time (assuming there is a next time!). Initially when I found out we had two boys (which I was thrilled about but surprised), I joked to DBF that we were gonna be doing this again in a few years to get a girl! But now...I'm not so sure. We'll see how these two go! It's funny, the idea of going from a two person household to instant family of 4! I imagine it's a bit different for you since you have your son, but still, going from 1 kid to 3!
    Thanks for the comment about DBF! He is wonderful, I just know he's having a hard time since all of this was so sudden. He is overwhelmed with suddenly having an invalid girlfriend to take care of! He's going to go to the store tonight and make some meals, and also bake some pumpkin cookies since we're almost officially to fall!
    How have you been feeling lately? Everything going well?

Slipper - Thanks for your encouraging words! I couldnt imagine being on bedrest with an almost 2 year old! I'm sure you guys work it out though, just as we all work out our home situations. I imagine it would be hard since your son can't really understand yet what is going on. I'm sure he'll be so excited once he meets his brothers though (hopefully not for several more weeks!). Im glad they got your contractions under control and they allowed you to go home. I find bedrest less stressful at home, even though you dont have the reassurance of nurses and docs 24/7. This bedrest thing is really so much harder than I anticipated...well truth be told I never anticipated it at all. Obviously I've kind of turned this into a chat thread, it's just nice to have other women who are going through the same thing to talk to.

Hopefully we will all be here chatting about how bored we are for several weeks! Good luck to both of you too :) We can all do this!

18. redux

redux Member

Hi again Leah, and by the way, thanks for responding to my rant! (see other thread)

For sure, it will be an adjustment going from a family of 2 people to 4, especially having gone through all the stress you are right now. I understand your being a bit leery about looking beyond this pregnancy to another one. But if and when it happens, the docs will be on high alert with you from day one, knowing about your cervix issues with this pregnancy. How are things going with you lately - how are you feeling?

Just to respond to your other point, for my part yes it will be an adjustment going from family of 3 to family of 5. In some respects I'm hoping that having already cared for a newborn will help, but I also know this is a whole different ball game where anything can happen... NICU time, tandem feedings, co-ordinating sleeping schedules, and worrying that DS doesn't feel neglected... and on and on. I'm wondering how you approach things... do you just focus on getting through the next couple of critical weeks so that you don't get overwhelmed with other concerns on "the other side", or do you find that looking/planning ahead to when the babies are home helps to settle your mind?

I'm sending support and good vibes your way.
    Code:

[​IMG]

19. Daffodils

I'm feeling good today, my back is really starting to hurt though from all this laying down. It's really hard to find a comfortable position to do anything, and I fidget around alot, which worries me of course, even though I'm still staying horizontal. I have my docs appt on Thursday, so Im just anxiously looking forward to that. This will be my first appt after a week on home bedrest, I just hope I've kept my activity level low enough to keep my cervix in place the way it is!

As for the planning, I find right now just working on getting through the next week or so is enough for me at this point. I think once I get into the 30's, I might start to plan and look ahead more. I do worry about how we're going to work it all out, if DBF is going to be able to help enough..I mean if hes overwhelmed just taking care of me, what will he be like with two newborns? So for right now, my main goal is just to get to 28 weeks, then 30, then 32, etc.

How are you feeling? You said on the other thread that you had a good doc's appt, right? That's wonderful. Hope all is well with you, your DS, and that DH is being a bit more thoughtful!

20. redux

redux Member

Hi there Leah, I'm sorry your back is giving you so much trouble. I really believe our bodies go into some form of shock when we go from being reasonably active to being right down, almost immobilized on bed rest. I would love to know if anyone can recommend any safe exercises in bed to keep the blood flow going. It's really good that you have a friend who can massage you once in awhile. When I was pregnant with DS, someone gave me a pastry rolling pin to help with massages. It's plastic, and has a cap on one end so you can fill it with warm water, cap it, then have DH or DBF roll it all over your back while you sit in a chair facing backward. Of course, being on bed rest makes sitting upright for too long a tricky thing. But did it ever feel good. Of course, the cap is now missing so it's kind of useless.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on planning ahead vs. just getting by right now. I feel the same way you do. Just reaching small daily or weekly goals is enough, because it's kind of hard to focus too far down the road when the babies' survival is the main thing. Is there someone who can help you when the babies come... whether they arrive closer to your due date or a little earlier? Just realized, you must be due on Christmas Day! Here's to you making it as close to that as possible... just keep up the good work. About child care, a friend of mine who had twins at just over 27 weeks, and who also has 2 older children, had some good advice... line up help now! She actually went into labour at 26w2d, and the docs stopped her and gave her steroid shots... then she made it another week. The babies were due last December but were born in October. They are doing great now, no signs of any developmental lags or physical issues, other than the girl has a golfball-sized blood blister on her hip that protrudes a little. Apparently that will go away. They were in the NICU for 2 months. Anyway, the Mom (whose family on both sides live in other cities) hired a post-partum doula to help for the first couple of months with establishing feeding and sleeping routines and says it was well worth it. So we've arranged to get the same doula to help us the first couple of months... especially since our folks are older and our sibs are busy with families of their own. It's kind of nice to know we'll have that extra set of hands. Are there some post-partum helpers in your area you could connect with for some info?

You must be really looking forward to seeing the doc tomorrow. I'm sure that being on bed rest has helped things to settle a bit with you. It will be nice to get that reassurance that what you're doing is helping. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you. By the way, if you want to exchange personal emails at some time, do let me know. It's been great to be able to chat with you like this!

Code:

[​IMG]

21. evelynforns

evelynforns New Member

Hi Leah,

Thanks for the protein shake idea. I just started taking it last night. Great idea!

22. Daffodils

Hey everyone!

Evelyn - Your welcome! Those protein shakes are freakin delicious.

Erin - Sorry I didnt get back to you yesterday, I was actually back in L&D. While I was on the computer yesterday morning, I suddenly felt some fluid in my, uh, nether regions. So I got up to check and sure enough there was something there. So I called the doc, who of course told me to go get checked out at the hospital. So my mom came from work to take me over there. Both babies heartrates were good, and I wasnt contracting at all. They did an exam, and basically said I just had a bunch of discharge, but no fluid pooled or anything like that. They measured the fluid around both babies, and it was good. They also measured my cervix, which is holding steady at 11mm. I was 2cm dilated though, up from 1cm. It made me feel good that I hadnt effaced anymore though, makes me feel like the bedrest is actually doing something, you know? So anyway the consensus is that it was either just discharge, or else I peed myselF! Haha guess I wouldn't be the first preggo to do that.
    I don't have anything solid lined up in the way of help yet. I know my cousin is flying in from Boston, but that's not till a bit later, like maybe February. DBF's mom and sisters want to come in too, and my parents live in town, so they will be here daily to help (I'm an only child). We can't really afford to hire someone, though it would be lovely to have a post partum doula. I'll PM you my email address so we can email since thatd probably be easier than taking up all this room on here! :)