Bedrest

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Liberty, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Liberty

Liberty Member

What exactly constitutes bedrest?
    *Not getting out of bed except fot bathroom needs?
    * No steps?
    I am not sure

2. Liberty

Liberty Member

What exactly constitutes bedrest?
    *Not getting out of bed except fot bathroom needs?
    * No steps?
    I am not sure

3. txtwinmom2b

txtwinmom2b Well-Known Member

when i was on bedrest, my dr said no getting out of bed except to use the bathroom

4. kimber074

kimber074 Well-Known Member

I have heard so many variations to bedrest, if your dr put you on bedrest I would ask exactly what that entails.

5. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

There are several types of bedrest, modified bedrest and strict bedrest come to mind but even those are variable by doctor. My doc informed me I was to stay horizontal, even while eating, except to use the bathroom and recommended I filled my water bottle on the way back to the couch. I was allowed a 5 minute shower every other day. Once I reached week 34 he loosened up a little and told me I could make myself a quick sandwich and eat sitting up. I could sit for a length of 20 minutes then it was back to horizontal. I loved when I got to be released a little because I had been in the hospital when my shower was held and had never seen the babies room. It was only about 10 steps from my bedroom but I attempted to follow docs orders to the T. At 35 weeks he loosened the reigns even more and I actually went out for dinner. I was soo excited. I delivered the day I was supposed to go in for my 36 week appointment so who knows if he would have lifted more restrictions by then [​IMG]?

It really is a case by case thing, if you are put on bedrest be sure to ask your doc straight up exactly what you are allowed to do and what you are not!

6. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I am on modified bed rest - No cleaning, No shopping, No working -
    but I can sit on the couch, I don't have to lay all the time - just basically take it easy!

7. Beth R

Beth R Well-Known Member

I am on bedrest with bathroom privileges and I am allowed to sit up to eat but that is all. I agree that you should clarify your docs definition. Good luck to you.

Hugs,
    Beth