Bedtime for school?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MrsWright, Oct 30, 2013.

1. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The boys will be in K next year (sniff sniff) and are really sensitive to change in sleep patterns so I would like to start now:). Currently they wake anywhere from 630-730 and go to bed roughly 7-730. Nights when they are up late (830+) they are awful the next day because of course they don't sleep in and are in bed sometimes by 630! I know with school they might have work to do so I just wondered what a good schedule is?
    FYI the bus goes past our house around 7am and they will be all day every day K. I think the hours are 820-245 (I think might be later)
    Thanks!! Also any advice on moving the bedtime later would be helpful:)

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would find out exactly when the bus would pick them up, and what time school starts.  Make your plan from that.

I would be in trouble if my girls went to bed around 7-7:30.  We have plenty of nights that we are still winding down at the point.  When my girls were in K, they used to have an activity once a week from 4:30- 6;30.  If they didn't get HW finished before they had to finish HW and eat dinner in that time.
    My girl's bus comes around 8:40.  School starts around 9:10.  They get home around 4.  

3. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My kids are in bed by 8 or 8:15 and usually up at 6:15 in the morning and dropped off at latchkey by 6:45 at the latest.    They go to latchkey after school and are picked up by 5.  We go home do homework, eat dinner, read books, bath and then bed.  The night goes by very quickly for us.  DD adjusted very well to the school schedule, but DS was a terror the first few months of kindergarten.  It took him a long time to adjust to the school/sleep schedule and we started this schedule in June that summer to try and prepare them.

4. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I try to start getting everyone settled down around 7:00 and getting ready for bed (showers, pj's, teeth brushed). Ideally, I like for them to be ready for bed by 7:30'ish and then we read until about 8:00. My kids will usually read a little on their own past 8:00 and rarely do I have to tell them lights out. They usually fall asleep sometime between 8-8:30.

Our bedtime routine (times) are not set in stone though. Depending on the day and activities, everything could get pushed back 30 minutes, sometimes I try to get them to bed a little sooner (not as often anymore though).

Kids are almost always up between 6 and 6:30, even though they don't leave for school until 8:00.

5. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We have the almost exact same schedule.

Although at 5 we had lights out at 7:30 instead of 8 (now at 8).

6. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

Mine will be in K next year as well.  They currently are asleep between 7:00-7:30 PM and awake between 6:30-7:30 am.  So very similar in schedule.  I have one who likely could go to bed later and be just fine but its easier to have one bedtime.  This time has changed since they turned four.  We started out at age 4 asleep shortly after 6 PM (no nap since before age 2) and slowly over the months the time has moved back very naturally with no issues.  I suspect for my two by the time they start K bedtime will be moved back to 7:30-8:30 for actual asleep.  Their sleep requirements will decrease over the next 10 months so you might find that a slightly later bedtime will work better than you think.

7. MrsWright

Ok so I asked my sis who teaches at school. They will be in school from 8-240 but like I said bus is at 7. It's always gone by at same time in 7 years I've lived here so it should be close kt that time. They will get off bus approx 345-4 I'm hoping for a 8-830 and they don't nap anymore except occasionally at daycare and I can tell everytime because they're up until 930-10!! I guess well just push it back over the next few months:)

8. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

8pm here, they sleep until 7.45am now (used to be much less!). We leave at 8.35am.

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We've actually had to move the girls' bedtime much earlier now that they're in school and they only go half days (8:30am-11:30am). We're still dealing with some pretty difficult meltdowns from both of them tied almost entirely to exhaustion. They've always gotten up for the day between 6:00am-6:30am. Before K bedtime was 8:00pm with both of then asleep by 8:30pm. We've since moved bedtime to 7:30pm with both usually asleep by 8:00pm. Just this week we've bumped bedtime back to 7:00pm. We do a very few carefully selected afternoon activities and nothing that is regularly scheduled. It's too much all the way around for us.

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My duo start K next fall as well, they are currently going to 4K half day program this year.  We try to get them into bed between 7:30-8pm, not much later than that or they are a wreck the next day.  They get up at 6:45 for school.  We leave here at 7:30, school is from 8-11.  Sometimes by about thursday they will fall asleep in the truck if I have errands to run in the afternoon, or when we pick up my 7 yr old from school.  They are wiped by the weekend.  We try to get them into bed by 8-8:30 on the weekend. 

My hubby doesn't get home from work until 6:45 so it's a mad rush of eating and getting ready for bed, bath nights are almost always 8pm bedtime.

11. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Wow, it would not be pretty here if our bus came at 7:00am!  Our whole schedule would be destroyed (I'm usually still at the gym at 7am).

We don't usually eat dinner until around 7pm, because DH doesn't get home until around 6:30-6:45pm usually.  They go to bed at 9pm and wake up at 7:30am.  Our bus comes around 8:40am (and the bus stop is the end of my driveway)

12. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Are you sure that is the elementary school bus that goes by at 7?  We have a HS bus, then MS, then elementary (when there was one), so you may be seeing a bus that is not the one your kids would go on.

You will also find that as your kids age, they will become more flexible with time, and need less sleep.  At that age, I aimed for an 8:00 bedtime.  I also wouldn't worry about it now.  The summer is plenty of time to tweek the bedtime routine, kids change ALOT in the 9 months between now and when they will start K--especially at the 4-5 age range.

13. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine having to get my girls ready for a 7am bus pick up. If their school day starts at 8, I would just drive them myself instead of them being on the bus for an hour.

To your original question, my girls go to bed at 8. At 7:30 we go lay down and read stories, and it's lights out by 8. They wake up between 6:45 and 7am and their bus comes at 8:30am. Their school day is 9-3:30, and the bus drops them home by 4.

14. MrsWright

Yes it comes at 7. The HS and elementary ride the same bus and they just drop off the HS/jr high kids before driving to elementary school. It's a small town. They will have to ride the bus at least 3 days a week when I work but I will leave it up to them if they want to the other days. It's interesting how everyone's schedules are so different:)

15. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Their new school starts and lets out an hour earlier than last year, and we're still adjusting a bit. School starts at 7:30, so we leave the house by 7:10 because of traffic. That means their wake-up call is 6:30am. Very rarely do they wake up on their own. 

Their bedtime is technically 8pm, but since they've had to adjust to the early wake-up, we sometimes push it back to 7:45. It's not much, but any earlier is difficult. We tend to eat dinner a little later and mine need some wind down time after dinner before they start showers and bedtime routine. 

16. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

This is us exactly except wake up time is between 6:30 and 7:00, and they leave for daycare by 7:30.

17. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our bedtime is between 7:30-8 and has been for a while.  I don't change bedtime for summer or anything yet (unless it's a special occasion). My kids have to be in school by 7:45, so I get them up in the morning around 6:30-6:45.