Bedtime Music - Baby Controlled

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by DblStuffOreo, Apr 27, 2012.

1. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

I need your recommendations on a sleep aid for one of my twins (who sleeps in a separate room from her twin). Usually, Twin A goes down pretty easily with a lullaby or two. Lately, she has been needing more and more songs to get her to sleep. She is going through a HUGE language developmental phase, so I don't think that it is her being stubborn or simply a matter "fixing it" by having her cry it out. Rather, when the lights go out, if you don't distract her with singing, she will talk and talk and talk and she can't quite figure out how to stop. She does eventually get upset and cry. HOWEVEr, instead of tiring her out, it only causes her to talk more as she tries to tell you that she's sad. We do have an air purifier in her room for white noise, but lately she really needs the songs to focus on.

We have been using a "music box" with Twin B (who has a much harder time falling asleep) for some time - Fisher Price Rainforest mobile. They both hated the mobile, but Twin B really took to the box when we took off the mobile part leaving just the box with buttons that she can push to play songs when she needs. The box also lights up dimly, but does not blink or move. Ideally, I'd like to find something similar without buying a new mobile for a 2 year old. This leads me to my request for suggestions from you?

Ideally, we're looking for something that:
    1. has buttons that the child can control (we thought about buying her a CD player, but sometimes Twin A wakes up too early and puts herself back to sleep by playing her box. We'd like to find something that gives Twin B the same option.)
    2. plays lullabys; and
    3. Has only dim lights, if any.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have tried googling various terms, but mostly get responses for crib mobiles.

Thanks

2. kumphort

kumphort Well-Known Member

and actually looking at the similar items from amazon, there are a bunch of varieties,so it should be a good start

3. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

We have the Fisher Price crib n go projector and although my babes are still young, I can see them enjoying this for a long time yet.... I really really like it and so do they.

here

4. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

You could check out the Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Soothe and Glow Seahorse - it comes in Pink and Blue. My singleton was given the pink one at around 6 months by my mother to help her sleep but she's over 2 now and sleeps with it every night. It's only 5 minutes of music - I don't know if you think that will be enough but if it's not, she can always turn it back on.

5. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

The fisher price discover and go turtle plays for 15 minutes and the shell lights up

6. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

My older son used the fisher price flutterbye birds crib toy for about 4 years! We even had to prop in in his big boy bed when he outgrew his crib, and we would occasionally hear it playing in the middle of the night. It is exactly as you describe - the child pushes it, and it plays soothing music for about 10 minutes. They don't make it anymore, but the rainforest waterfall one looks very similar.

7. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

We have one similar to the projector that we use for traveling (we also still use the box part of the rainforest mobile on their toddler beds). If you are just looking for music, though, maybe the LeapFrog Violet/Scout would work. My kids love the music and songs on theirs and we often hear them singing in their beds before they fall asleep.

8. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I almost recommended this as well. My daughter has the night/nap time version of Violet as well as the Violet "Pal". She loves them both and has learned the songs on both. And she does find the music very soothing.