Bedtime Nightmare

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by teafor2, Jul 20, 2012.

1. teafor2

teafor2 Well-Known Member

My kids sailed through the transition to toddler beds without any issues, but suddenly DS realizes he can get up and get out. Worse, he stays in and goes over to DD and hits her or jumps into her bed and jumps up and down and she wakes screaming! Last night DH lay down on the floor in their room till DS went to sleep, and right now I am sitting downstairs listening to DS yell at me from behind a gate I put up in his room, but I know any second now I will hear DD screaming bc he woke her up (and/or hurt her). Separating them is not an option, we don't have another room. Incentives like charts and prizes have not helped, he doesn't care when DD gets one and he doesn't. Taking something away helped once and after that he caught on and gave stuff up voluntarily! What can we do? Argh! Usually I'm a big fan of cry it out, but in this case I feel I have to protect DD who...as I type this...just started screaming....

2. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

How long ago did you transition? If it was less than a few months I'd put the crib back up and plop him right back in it. If there is room, leave the bed set up too. After a few nights let him choose but the first time he bothers his sister he goes back in the crib. Shouldn't take long!

2 people like this.