Bedtime snacks

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by rosserj, Mar 29, 2013.

1. rosserj

rosserj Active Member

Do you give your LOs snacks before bedtime? We give our 3 year olds a snack and a glass of milk but I'm starting to wonder if we need to drop the snack as it might be causing them to get too hyper at bedtime. Currently they have dinner at about 5.30, and then the bedtime snack is at 7pm, so I'm thinking that it might not really be necessary but would be interested in what other do

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Nope:). Before they potty trained we let them have milk up until bedtime but no food after supper. Now they can only get drinks of water unless we have an early bedtime then well give a snack too:)

3. jolcia17

jolcia17 Well-Known Member

Our dinner is also between 5-6. At 7 my girls still have milk before bed but nothing besides that.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I go with a snack if there is more than an hour before bedtime. Many times during the week we eat late (6:30!) and they are in bed by 7:30 so not usually.

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My boys get a snack. They have dinner around 5:15 or 5:30, and don't go to bed until 8. Usually I give them a small snack around 7:15 or 7:30. Usually something like a cereal bar or some crackers - nothing big. My kids are big eaters, and would definitely complain if they didn't get a snack. :)

6. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

No but we usually have dinner one hour before bedtime, or less.

7. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They each have a snack cup of Cheerios that they're allowed to snack from during story time *if* they're hungry. I'd say they eat their Cheerios about half of the time.

8. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine should say early dinner not bedtime;)

9. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

We have dinner around 5 and bedtime is 8:30 so we do have a snack about 7:30. Usually it's dessert.

10. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Nope. We generally eat dinner a little bit later(between 6/7). On the rare occasion they ask for a snack, I'll do fruit of some sort or yogurt. But they rarely ask. I'm just not a big snack person(in terms of scheduling it in the day).

11. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

We usually have supper half an hour before their (early) bedtime, so there is no need for bedtime snacks.

12. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

We eat dinner between 6 and 7 and do not do a snack. The girls go to sleep at 7:30, though, so it's close to the time when you're doing snack.

13. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Our boys eat dinner a little before 6pm, usually. And bedtime is 8pm. So we try to push some kind of fruit as a snack around 7pm, if they are hungry. Stuff like apple chips, grapes, oranges, strawberries, or blueberries, etc (ie. no goldfish, cheeries, or cereal bars, which is stuff I think they get enough of earlier in the day at daycare). One son often times turns down a fruit snack, the other one always eats some kind of fruit, which is good because he has had constipation issues and I think the fresh fruit helps.