Bedtime

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rayceryin12, Jul 13, 2013.

1. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

We have been doing great at bedtime. Same routine, 10-15 minutes babbling/fussing, and then they would fall asleep. The past 2 nights, Ryin has started screaming when we leave and doesn't stop until we go get him. He is teething, could that be it? He has teetered before and not done this. Or something else? He gets so upset :-(

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

How old are they? Ours started getting more difficult to get to go to sleep around 7 months, which is when we did CIO. Worked great for us. Jack cried about 45 minutes the first night then STTN like a champ from then on.

3. rayceryin12

They are 10.5 months. We had a regression around 8 months that lasted a few weeks.

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Could be separation anxiety too at that age. We did CIO for all of ours around that age and they've all always been good sleepers but basically we would give them a week to make sure it wasn't teething or illness then we would CIO. It's hard but in the end the result is great sleepers!:)

5. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Could be teething. Another possibility is a little bit of separation anxiety. What I normally do with unexplained sleep issues is start eliminating possibilities. If he doesn't settle down after a dose of motrin, it's not likely teething. If he has no issues with separation at other times, it's not likely separation anxiety. And keep going down the list: any dietary changes, nap changes, schedule changes, illness, etc?

If I am still stumped as to what the cause may be, I follow the child's lead (who am I kidding, I follow Sophie's lead because it's ALWAYS Sophie). If going back in just starts the whole process over again and she can't settle down on her own, I let her CIO. If she starts disrupting Livie, Vivi, me, or the neighbors, I put her in the PnP downstairs. On the other hand, if anything seems to be helping her settle, I do that.

Another idea, I have the aquarium from Baby Einstein that plays music and has an ocean scene that cycles around. It is great for getting them to settle down. It plays for twenty minutes and the volume and light decrease at regular intervals. I do not use it every night, just when they are having trouble settling.

1 person likes this.
  6. rayceryin12

I think it's teething. He went to sleep last night, but the past two nights has been unable to stay asleep and cries out on and off all night. :-(

7. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

At least teething is something that won't last forever....it just seems that way. ;)

8. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I didn't read the whole thread but...
    Have you tried Motrin? really helps my LOs when their teeth bother them. I have even given a second dose in the middle of the night for DS who is really bothered by teeth.

9. rayceryin12

Yea we do. He's just really going through it. I swear they've been teething since 4 months old!! :-(