Behavior Issues and Sticker Charts

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by stephe, Aug 13, 2008.

1. stephe

stephe Well-Known Member

My guys are almost 28 mos old. Are they too young for behavior sticker charts?

We are at the wits end with Cooper and just grasping at straws.

His day-care teacher talked to me this morning about ways we could work together to get him to listen to them. We moved him up to the older room(and separated the boys) 2/3's with hopes of both boys behavior improving. It did for improve quite a bit esp with Eli b/c he is no longer following in his brothers footsteps and becoming more independent. It helped Cooper with the biting and boredom b/c he seemed to be ahead of the kids in his age group. It has helped b/w the boys but we are still struggling to get Cooper's behavior in check.

At first I thought it was just me and I might be expecting too much but now his teacher is bringing it to my attention. It makes me feel bad that they have so much trouble with him but now I know it's not just me. I really like the teacher he has b/c she seems to really have it together and runs a good classroom plus she knows her Child Dev stuff. She wants to work with me so we can be on the same page with Cooper. She asked me this morning if he has a particular lovey or something at home she can mention when he is misbehaving. She said he is too smart for his own good and knows how to skirt around the system right now and just baffles her at times. She loves him to death but at a loss. They have made adjustments over the past few weeks that have helped with naptime and him talking back. She said she knows he understands what is right and wrong b/c he knows how to push the limits.

At home nothing really works except time-out's(even spanking doesn't phase him) b/c he can't stand to sit still and be removed from a situation. In his current class they do not do "Time-Outs" b/c they don't start until they get into the 3-4's class due to age and understanding. We have come up with a compromise that she should at least remove him from whatever situation he is doing and not let him be with the other kids for a period of time. For example make him go sit on the reading map while everyone else is playing with trains b/c he kept taking everyone elses train.

The kid LOVES praise and helping out at home so I'm wondering if I could make some type of simple sticker chart. If he gets a good report at school(minimally has to be re-told No) then he gets a sticker that day. Once he gets a set amt of stickers he gets a special(M&M's, Matchbox Car ,etc)prize. Am I wasting my time with it? Also if I do it should I include one for his brother who doesn't necessarily need it but would be ticked if he didn't get the chance to earn a prize.

If you use a chart where did you get it?

Sorry it's so long but my Spirited One is baffling me! Along with the sticker chart I plan on limiting his diet and intake of processed crap! He gets a lot from Whole Foods now but maybe I should be really strict about it?

2. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We have two of these charts, and they will grow with the children well. Right now I just have 4 basic tasks on each of their charts, 3 of them the same (share, put toys away, and stop whining). Grace has a special made task called "no biting, pinching, or hitting" and Lily has one for getting dressed (because she fights that a lot).

At first we would do a reward as soon as they helped clean up toys. Then as time went along we started doing the rewards right before bed, when they'd been good at whatever all day. This chart, along with timeout, got rid of biting for Grace and they are cleaning their toys up, sometimes even unprompted.

So it's working for us. Start really simple though. We do not give a reward for a set number of stickers though, they think putting the reward magnet up is reward enough. Now for potty training, I have a sticker reward and I will give M&M's.

And sorry you are having a rough time.

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-10136-M...y/dp/B00004WHNS

3. stephe

stephe Well-Known Member

That is a cool chart Susan! I'm scared my boys would try to eat the magnets :D

I think I will give it a try and it will be VERY simple and basic to see if we can get somewhere with Cooper's behavior. Maybe that will be his at home motivation the day-care teacher can work with.

4. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

i agree, start with just the sticker as the reward...you don't want to get him hooked on bigger rewards yet, IMO

since he is so young, you might have 2 or 3 throughout the day since he will need a more immediate response to his behavior. it will also give him more opportunities for success. like break up the day and review his actions at every meal or something like that...

he is young, but he should get it....especially if he's such a smart cookie as it seems

good luck

5. stephe

stephe Well-Known Member

I think just the stickers are a good idea too!

I will check with his teacher tomorrow about how she can possibly give him one after the 1st half of the day if he's being good. I would provide the stickers but the only problem would be the other kids in his class. I don't want to put her in a situation of looking like she is favoring Cooper over the other kids when she gives him a sticker.

6. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

QUOTE(stephe @ Aug 13 2008, 08:41 PM) [snapback]928785[/snapback]
    That is a cool chart Susan! I'm scared my boys would try to eat the magnets :D

I think I will give it a try and it will be VERY simple and basic to see if we can get somewhere with Cooper's behavior. Maybe that will be his at home motivation the day-care teacher can work with.

Oh, it's high up where they cannot get the magnets. We lift them up to put their rewards on.