Bending and lifting restrictions

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by rose.froula, Jul 3, 2013.

1. rose.froula

rose.froula Member

I am 21 weeks pregnant with monozygotic twin boys. My perinatologist advised me not to bend down or do any heavy lifting. I have 3 other young children at home, including a two year old who still needs to be held and carried at times. (not to mention I normally pick stuff up off the floor all the time! and carry laundry bins, reach for low cupboards and drawers etc.) Any advice? Is squatting down better than bending? These restrictions were given to help prevent preterm labor. I want to do what's right for my babies, but how can I manage a household, too?

Thanks.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would talk to your doc. Explain the situation and ask for more information. With a clearer understanding of the risks/benefits you should be able to come up with a solution that works for you and your babies that your doc is happy with.

3. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Also, think about other things you can do. Instead of picking up the 2 yo, have him/her climb up in the sofa to snuggle with you. We transferred my ODD to a toddler bed early so I wouldn't have to pick her up to put her in there as well. I'm not sure how old your other two kids are but maybe they can help with some of the other things (like carrying around laundry, etc). It may not completely eliminate the times you want or need to pick things and people up but it might help reduce them.

4. rose.froula

rose.froula Member

Thanks for the practical tips! Will talk to the doc at next visit. We did buy a "Gopher" grabber. It is awesome! Can pick up most anything and makes toy cleanup fun. And the other kids (almost 4yo and almost 6yo) are being really good about picking things up of the floor for me.