best diaper ointment...recommendations please

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Mommy2two, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Mommy2two

Mommy2two Member

My girls are 8 weeks old and haven't really had much in the way of diaper rashes yet other than a bit of redness which clears right up with some diaper rash ointment. So far I've used A&D ointment but didn't know if there was something else that people like better. Any suggestions?

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I like butt paste for day to day use and a slight rash. If the rash is really bad, Triple Paste is the best, it's a bit on the pricey side so I wouldn't use it all the time, but it works wonders for a bad rash, and quick.

3. party*of*five

party*of*five Well-Known Member

I bought the big jar of triple paste for 19.99 we still have only used maybe 1/8 of te jar..you only need a tiny bit!! [​IMG]

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

Boudreaux's Butt Paste! [​IMG]

5. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I like Boudreaux butt paste.

6. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

quote:
    I like Boudreaux butt paste.

Me too. I used to use Desitin. One of my sons had a rash and the Desitin was not helping. Because of all the recommendations for the Butt Paste on this site, I bought it and it works great for my boys. I just wonder why they would ever name it that!!! I never bought it at first because I did not like the name of the product!

7. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

Our pediatrician and pharmacist separately recommended Dr. Smith's to us. It comes in a tiny 2 oz tub and costs about $9 for that small amount. My son got a rash from a relative leaving him in a poop diaper the day after we drove 8 hours to see them (so his butt was already wanting to be irritated). We tried desitin, , Balmex, Boudreaux's, and cornstarch. Nothing worked until Dr. Smith's, and it was better by the next diaper change. It is WORTH IT. When this rash my boys have didn't clear up with Dr. Smith's, I called the M.D. and it was a yeast rash (which you need an antifungal for). We are using the A&D ointment to hold the medicine on since you can squirt it instead of rub it. I hate hate hate Boudreaux's. It stinks, never has worked for MY kids (everybody is different), and it is tan so I never can tell if the diaper is dirty or just has cream on it unless I get a really close inspection.

8. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I'm a Boudreaux's Butt Paste kind of girl too. I actually liked a certain kind of diaper rash cream better, it was sold at Target about 7 years ago but they discontinued it. That stuff was awesome.

9. ~rosie~

~rosie~ Well-Known Member

Bag Balm. It knocked out a strep diaper rash in a day.

10. i4get

i4get Well-Known Member

My two favorites right now are Flanders (you have to ask for it at the pharmacy...they have it at Target, Walgreen's, etc.) and the Mustela diaper cream. Morgan had a rash/excema flareup that wouldn't go away. Mustela knocked it out. both are pricey, but for the size of the tube, there's no way I'll use it all. it's worth it to me for them not to be red.

Hope this helps! shannon

11. runnergirl

runnergirl Well-Known Member

We love the Butt Paste too, but some friends of ours swear by Bag Balm.

12. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

I love the clear Balmex kind. It has worked wonders on DS one!

13. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

We use A&D on a regular basis, but for severe cases of diaper rash we have used pure lanolin. It is expensive, but it's been the most effective. We've tried Desitin and other diaper rash creams and they didn't work. We've also been told that the open air is helpful (i.e. let them go diaperless), but that is difficult if they are very mobile and you're trying to prevent accidents!