best help for teething

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by greenslade7, Nov 29, 2006.

1. greenslade7

greenslade7 Well-Known Member

I have a two year old who is just now cutting his lower incisors. This is not a child who whines at all and the past two days, he has been absolutely miserable. I'm taking him to the doc tomorrow to make sure this isn't an ear infection or something else going on. These teeth have taken months to come in. There are these huge bumps on his gums where they are and finally I can see the top of the gum becoming whitened where the teeth are almost through. He isn't sleeping (maybe one hour intervals for the past 2-3 nights), he isn't eating well, he is drinking ok. He is so uncomfortable. I have given him tylenol, I have used oragel. In the past we have used teething tablets, but the last several times I used them, he woke up screaming in the middle of the night. Not sure if that was from pain, but he seemed panicked and I wondered if maybe they were causing nightmares. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know he probably just has to work through it, but it is so hard seeing him suffer like he is. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2. greenslade7

greenslade7 Well-Known Member

I have a two year old who is just now cutting his lower incisors. This is not a child who whines at all and the past two days, he has been absolutely miserable. I'm taking him to the doc tomorrow to make sure this isn't an ear infection or something else going on. These teeth have taken months to come in. There are these huge bumps on his gums where they are and finally I can see the top of the gum becoming whitened where the teeth are almost through. He isn't sleeping (maybe one hour intervals for the past 2-3 nights), he isn't eating well, he is drinking ok. He is so uncomfortable. I have given him tylenol, I have used oragel. In the past we have used teething tablets, but the last several times I used them, he woke up screaming in the middle of the night. Not sure if that was from pain, but he seemed panicked and I wondered if maybe they were causing nightmares. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know he probably just has to work through it, but it is so hard seeing him suffer like he is. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

3. lrothrock1

lrothrock1 Well-Known Member

One of my girls has been really fussy and crying the last two days. I finally realized she was cutting new teeth. She also has the swollen gums, and had been putting her finger in her mouth alot. I used a infant gum massager that you put your finger in. I also put anbesol on the bristol end of it, and she would chew on it. I did that for one day, and she was fine the next day. Your son sounds like he is alot more uncomfortable, our episode only lasted two days for us.

4. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

I still give mine the Hyland's teething tablets and for us it works! It seems to take away the irritability. Sounds like he might be fighting something else. Hopefully the doctor will be able to help. [​IMG]

5. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

You could try Motrin, it sometimes works better than Tylenol. If his symptoms persist, then you should take him in for a quick check.