Best Night Light

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by haleystar, May 23, 2012.

1. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

For the longest time I haven't understood why the boys, after sleeping 10-12 hours, wake up so tired and cranky and this morning at around 5:30am I heard River screaming "Mommy, scared of the dark". I hurried up and got both boys out of their room and brought them into the living room making sure to turn on every light as we passed one. I guess I am now in the market for a night light and was wondering what you recommend that is bright but not too bright, preferably something they can't pull out of the wall like a night lamp or the like and of course reasonably priced....any suggestions?

TIA

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I bought two miniature lamps at Target, they use night light bulbs. They look like a regular table lamp, only small, and I think they were about $15 each. We put them on top of the dresser, and because they're not fun or in their reach, A&R have left them alone.

Before that, we had some Spoka lights from Ikea.

3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

We bought color changing night lights from Costco and they are a hit with H&J. We also found a flourescent bulb that has a switch on it so that when you need a night light, you press the switch and it dims the bulb. It goes in a regular lamp. My husband found it at Harris Teeter but you may be able to get one at home depot.

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

We originally got those blue/green night lights, but apparently they interfere with sleep. :( So we picked up cheap character ones up at target and they work great. If there is enough light in the room they do not turn on. Kids love them. No more scared of the darks!

5. AandI

AandI Active Member

We have Mobi Tyke lights and really like them. Safe to sleep with and rechargable. I go in and make sure they are off after they are asleep but they have access to use them as they wish. It all depends what you are looking for but these work great for us.

6. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

We also have a small lamp on their dresser with a 15 watt bulb in it, but the other thing that has helped us are the twilight turtles. They can turn them on themselves when they are scared which is nice.

7. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have these as well and I would definitely recommend them!:)

8. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

We have this one and we like it, it's dark blue or dark green, similar to the Moby Tike lights. It can be plugged in or it works on batteries for up to a whole night even if they say 4-5 hours on the website.

9. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Does that mean your Mobi's don't turn off after X number of minutes? I bought 2 Mobi lights from woot.com a year or so ago, but I don't care for them because they don't automatically turn off (unless they are left on just the right setting) and they aren't rechargeable). Since I don't want to keep feeding them batteries I discourage the boys from using them. As I hide the Mobis and hope the boys don't find them, LOL. I have heard that there are rechargeable Mobi's, so in that case I probably wouldn't mind their light being left on. But as of now I'm always on the hunt for lights that require a button being pushed and when its released the light goes off. That way I don't have to worry about a boy flicking the switch on, then leaving it on while they slumber :)

10. AandI

AandI Active Member

We actually have 3 versions and I think they all can be set to turn off if you push the button once. The newer ones (the best one we have is rechargeable with a base we keep in another room) have several choices, blue, green, and roving colors I think. The batteries seem to last well. The boys know how to turn them on and off and so don't leave it on the setting where they turn off on their own so I just stick my head in before I go to bed in case they got left on. For my daughter, who sleeps in hand splints at night I just put it on the first setting and it turns off. So, I know there are a lot of versions and I would like another one with a base but don't see a reason to buy one now as the batteries seem to last fairly well. They do not use them all the time anymore-and we're in Alaska and it's summer now so although there is a blackout blind in their room it is light most of the night!

11. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah my kids turn the mobis to the rainbow changing color so we turn them off when we check on them before bed. But we only charge them maybe every 3 days or so and they are kept on from 7-10/11pm:)

12. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We have something similar to the Mobis. It's two little men looking things (without arms) that charge on a base. Totally safe to sleep with and rechargeable. As long as you put them back on the base in the morning, they are good to go at night. We got ours from Land of Nod.

Now that the kids are older, they each have a flashlight (kids versions). The batteries do pretty well--a few months at a time.

13. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Ikea has kid night lights very cute and different shapes: sun, star, lady bug, flower,...I got 2 for my kids. They love those. They always sleep with light on

If you want the light turned on/off certain time, you can get a timer. Good luck!

14. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

http://www.stoplightclock.com/

I have that one. It does have an alarm feature that you can choose to sound or not. At a set time, you can just have the light go from red to green so they know when to leave the room....or just not set it. The yellow light feature is the nightlight that you can keep on all night.It's bright to give a little light, while not being annoying to their eyes when they are closed. My boys like it. It's very cute and they now look forward to seeing that green light turn on in the morning so they know when they are allowed to come out of their rooms (other than using the toilet...that they are allowed to leave for as long as they return to their rooms). If the green light is not on, then they must be in their rooms and quiet.

15. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

16. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

We had Mobis and the kids loved them. Unfortunately, my kids must have super human destructo abilities because we have been through 3 or 4 of them. We have had the battery powered ones and the ones that sit on the charger and they have broken them all! [​IMG]