Best sippy cups for beginners

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Cindy123, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

We are starting sippy cups and one DD started sucking immediately, but other DD just chews on them. Any suggestions for the best type for beginners? I'd like to try ones that they won't have to suck so hard on to get the water. TIA :D

2. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

The easiest kind for new beginners are the soft spout Nuby brand.

3. Sara26

Sara26 Well-Known Member

I would go with something soft at first. My girls liked the Gerber cups with handles and a soft spout. Once they got the hang of the soft ones, which was when they were about 8 1/2 or 9 months old, they could drink out of pretty much any kind of cup.

4. KrisV

KrisV Well-Known Member

I bought the Nuby soft spout based on advice given here and the babies took to them right away. They are still learning and most of it dribbles down their chins and sometimes they start to chew on it- but I would recommend them.

5. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

Nuby soft spout are good, Any kind with a built in valve, I am too forgetful to put the thing that makes it spill-proof which kind of defeats the purpose... :laughing:
    Now that DD is older I LOVE The First Years insulated spill proof cup for this very reason.

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

my kids hated the Nuby cups at first so I got Gerber Sip n Smile and they took to them...they do have a harder spout though...

also I took the valve out at first so they got used to drinking and not sucking...

7. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

We used the Playtex sipsters and LOVED them. I still use them from time to time, my girls had no problen using them.

8. annabell

annabell Well-Known Member

My DD chewed on her sippy cup all the time and got water everywhere. My brother found these sippy cups at Whole Foods called "Born Free" and they are easy to suck but don't get her soaked when she chews.

9. Lilpark

Lilpark Well-Known Member

Mine did well with the nubys at first. A couple other people recommended them too........they were a godsend for me.

10. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, got some Nubys today so we'll give 'em a test drive tomorrow. :)

11. Eyler07

Eyler07 Well-Known Member

We started teh boys on sippies at 6 months with water and the playtex cups. Didnt work. a few weeks later, i bought these and it was a miracle. The problem for us was tha twe couldnt get the cups tipped enough to get anything out. These are tipped at the top and they have very soft spouts and are spill proof. We love these cups still! Highly reccomended!

Amanda