Best stain remover??

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Rachel0980, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Rachel0980

Rachel0980 Well-Known Member

Please someone tell me there is a magic babyfood stain remover out there!! I have used shout, spray and wash, stainstick, and dreft stain remover...none of which are working! I feel like I'm ruining all these cute little outfits I have everytime I feed them! So what have you all found to work the best??

2. Rachel0980

Rachel0980 Well-Known Member

Please someone tell me there is a magic babyfood stain remover out there!! I have used shout, spray and wash, stainstick, and dreft stain remover...none of which are working! I feel like I'm ruining all these cute little outfits I have everytime I feed them! So what have you all found to work the best??

3. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

I only burned through a couple before I decided that veggies required babies in diapers only - or the regular bib under the plastic one.

My SIL recommends Woolite carpet cleaner. I am trying Shout with Resolve Power that I found at Target this week. I haven't been down to check and see if it got the peas out of DD's collar.

4. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got this from a momin my MOPS group. It worked on old stains that I had washed and dried.

Spray Spray 'n Wash on the stain. Sprinkle OxyClean powder on top. Spray again with Spray'n Wash. Rub to work in cleaners. Let the clothes soak overnight then wash.

This worked WONDERS on my stains. Some were food; I think one was paint. It was amazing!

5. Ava&Emma's mom

Ava&Emma's mom Well-Known Member

Totally Toddler spray from Babies R Us works great!

6. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I found that Totally Toddler works great if you spray and wash right away. If the stain dries, Totally Toddler doesn't cut it.

I sometimes just strip them down when we eat colorful veggies.

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We soak in Oxyclean. Especially if they are having diarrhea or something, I keep a bucket of it already mixed with water and just throw the stained clothes in there, give them a stir, then do a load of laundry a day. (Obviously I keep it shut away from the babies and the cat.) It does really well with poop, although I've had a few things I had to soak again after washing. It did pretty well with blueberries too, but not perfect. The one thing that still seems to stain is avocado (maybe because she rubs it in real good). [​IMG]

If I'm feeing them something messy (esp. Amy) I take her shirt off first.

I'll have to try that Spray & Wash/Oxyclean recipe.

8. valeriemiller39

valeriemiller39 Well-Known Member

I keep a bottle of the OxyClean spry n' wash stuff by their hamper. When clothes come off, I give them a spray. Then I through OxyClean into each wash load. Most stuff comes off. I love my Clorox Bleach pen for any stain that is on white!

9. andyra

andyra Well-Known Member

There is a product called "pink solution" and its a paste that comes in a bucket. You can mix it for various purposes, use it as a spray or put a glob of it right on. My mom swears by it and she uses it on really tough stuff.

10. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

Awesome.....

Its sold at the dollar store and its the best stain remover I have ever come across and its cheap. Before we bought out house we lived in an apartment that have cream/white carpet. (stupid on their part) but DH knocked my tomato soup off the counter and it landed on the carpet. I got most up that day but b.c of the lighting I didnt et it all. When we were moving I noticed the stain was still there and huge. I pulled out the Awesome and it was gone in seconds. So it works EXCELLENT on new stains as well as old.

11. Gabe+2more

Gabe+2more Well-Known Member

We use Zout at our house, it works great.

12. Kaylee Marie

Kaylee Marie Well-Known Member

The BEST STAIN REMOVER EVER is Dawn Dish Detergent. Am I mad, you ask? Yes, slightly. But seriously, you've gotta try it. Outfits I wanted to just throw away because I imagined they weren't even close to salvagable are once again sparkly clean thanks to Dawn. And we're talking massive amounts of caked-on diarrea here, GONE.

Here's what I do: Apply Dawn directly to the stain and massage in. Rinse in cool water and apply more Dawn until the stain has faded. For severe stains, soak the outfit in sudsy Dawn water for a while. After the Dawn treatment, launder as usual. The outfit will come out looking like new, and the clothing isn't adversely affected by the dish detergent.

I discovered this when I went to reach for my regular laundry detergent under the kitchen sink to soak a very poopy outfit. Ack! It was empty! No time/energy to run downstairs for the big bottle, and the outfit was probably ruined anyway, so I figured "Why not? Soap is soap" and grabbed the Dawn. I'VE NEVER LOOKED BACK.

I guess it works since it's formulated to break down food and grease, which is basically what poop is. My girls are only six months old, so have only tested this method on poop and food stains. No idea if it works on grass stains.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Dawn employee, nor do I own stock in the company (but maybe I should!).

Best of luck!!!

Kaylee

13. ABeeCDandE!

ABeeCDandE! Well-Known Member

There is a bar soap I use first called Fels Naptha...it is like $2 and lasts forever. You will have to search for it in your laundry aisle. I scrub with that, then rinse and use either SprayNWash or bleach pen (if white, but sometimes I use bleach pen on colors too, just rub it in, and immediately rinse well, don't do this on your favorite outfit just in case).

I have also heard of people using dishwasher detergent that contains enzymes to chew up certains kinds of stains. Might be worth a try.

I think your favorite rememdy always needs to be combined with elbow grease, especially if you are like me and let the stains sit forever before treating.

I think the best thing I have done is quit trying to keep everything nice...I don't do anything to sleepers, t-shirts, bibs. Maybe I was the only goof that was trying to do that in the beginning. [​IMG]

14. Jennysnead

Jennysnead Well-Known Member

oxyclean, oxyclean!!! I keep a running bucket of it and always have something soaking. If you soak it long enough the stain will eventually come out. It works best if you dissolve it in hot water and THEN make the water cold before you put the clothes in.

15. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

I swear by Stainz-R-Out. It works on every stain on any surface...clothing, apholstery, carpet, etc. We had a carpet stain I never did get out a few years ago...when we got the SRO, I tried it and it came right out! I love it so much I'd be willing to do an infomercial for them!

The best part is that it's not full of chemicals and is 100% safe for babies & pets (banana oil, I think).

16. RHastings

RHastings Well-Known Member

We just make things easier on ourselves and strip them down to their diapers to feed them their solid food...

17. betseeee

betseeee Well-Known Member

Oxiclean is good - I have the spray bottle.

But the best thing in the world is Fels-Naptha soap. http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/Fels_Naptha_Soap_p/d1001.htm

A combination of Oxi and Fels Naptha is almost unbeatable. I got sweet potatoes out of a white shirt just yesterday with the two of them.

18. Evanly

Evanly Well-Known Member

There is a baby version of the oxiclean spray-n-wash, with no scent, no chemicals - and it works WONDERS - takes out all formula stains, all baby food stains, even if the clothes have been washed before and the stain is set... I now use it on all of my laundry and it is FANTASTIC!!!

19. twinsagainx4

twinsagainx4 Well-Known Member

I soak the soiled clothes in Biz, I let it sit in there for a day or two and then wash in the machine. It never fails.

20. boogerkw

boogerkw Well-Known Member

I live by the Shout Stain Stick. It's the best thing since sliced bread. I love it!!!!

21. CanyonsMommy

CanyonsMommy Active Member

I'm actually quite surprised I haven't seen Greased Lightning on here so far. I use it on everything and it works great. It even gets out dried poopy stains that I forget about. I get it at Publix, and I think Walmart has it too. Good Luck!!!

Constance

22. tdemarco01

tdemarco01 Well-Known Member

I use OxyClean powder in my wash and it works great! I breastfeed, though, so I'm not sure if our stains may be a little easier to get out compared to formula.

Teri