Best Stroller for Twins with a 2 year old already at home?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Tggrtoes, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Tggrtoes

Tggrtoes Member

Hi all - I'm new hear and still in my 1st trimester, so I have time to figure this out, but thought I'd throw this question out there for consideration.

I have a son who will be a little over 2 by the time the babies get here. We currently have 2 strollers - a Graco travel system style and a Maclaren Quest Sport that I love. Neither will work for the twins... what have other moms done if they already have a toddler?

Obviously, my son can walk, but I often like him to be in the stroller so I'm not chasing him around (he's very active) and so that I can get some exercise with the walking too.

Is the best option (although maybe not the cheapest) to maybe get the double snap n go for regular errands when my son can walk and then get a triple stroller where all 3 kids can sit? I'm also wondering about the size of that... my son is pretty big (32 pounds, 36 inches tall and in 3T/4T clothes).

I'm sure there's lots of other things I should be thinking about too, but this one was at the top of my head.

Thanks!
    Stacey

2. BabyMoPlusThree

BabyMoPlusThree Well-Known Member

I am in exactly the same situation

I got a Graco Quattro Tour duo. We already have a Snugride carseat, and we bought a second one. The Duo will accommodate two Snugrides, so that is an option. Another option is to put DD in the front seat, plug the Snugride into the back, and Bjorn an infant. Or we have the Graco frame left over from DD- if I have someone to push the second stroller, I can plug the Snugride into the frame.

I hope this works for us because I don't know what else to do!

3. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

Just something to consider...

I think those triples are REAAALLLY expensive and my DS started refusing to ride in the stroller at about 2 1/2. So if you have the independent-type child, I just wonder if you'd really get your money's worth out of it. His size might come into play, also. (DS is big, too.)

I like the wear-one-baby idea. In fact, that's how I plan to navigate grocery stores for the first few months. Isn't there also a platform that can be purchased for toddlers to stand on that attaches to some strollers? I could swear I read about them here - maybe in the shopping forum? Might be worth a look.

Eve

4. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

5. Kaboobie

Kaboobie Active Member

I just bought the Graco Duo Quattro and a sling. I figure if my 2 yo won't cooperate I can throw him in the front seat and put one of the babies in the sling.

6. Carrie27

Carrie27 Well-Known Member

I couldn't spend the money on that older triple stroller, so we got this: http://www.joovy.com/pages/pd_bigcaboose.php

We have taken it through an airport and all. My daughter was 17 months when I had the twins and is just recently 2. She will sit on it quite a bit. There have been times where I have put her in a seat and put one of the babies in a front carrier.

7. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Carrie27 @ Apr 17 2009, 10:05 PM) [snapback]1278383[/snapback]
    I couldn't spend the money on that older triple stroller, so we got this: http://www.joovy.com/pages/pd_bigcaboose.php

We have taken it through an airport and all. My daughter was 17 months when I had the twins and is just recently 2. She will sit on it quite a bit. There have been times where I have put her in a seat and put one of the babies in a front carrier.

I didn't realize Joovy made a double. This is exactly what I would get if I had a two year old and twins on the way. If I didn't already have a double stroller, I would buy this one in a heartbeat.

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I love my Valco Twin Trimode with toddler attachment. My older DD was 26 months when the boys were born and I couldnt have gotten by on just a double stroller and having her walk. For short trips yes, for Target or the mall, No. GL with your search.

9. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

My third was 12mos 6days when the twins were born. I finally gave in and bought the Valco with the toddler seat a few months before he turned two. We used it until he was almost 4! He had a few "stroller independent" phases but NOT going in the stroller was NOT an option. If I said he was going in, he went in, period. Yes it is expensive, but well worth it. It handles beautifully, even with over 100 lbs of child in it! We wouldn't have been able to go nearly as many places without it. It also has a great resale value so that helps offset the cost a bit. After all the configurations we tried, the Valco was the absolute BEST! The twins are almost 4 now and I still miss that stroller!

10. Tggrtoes

Tggrtoes Member

Thanks everyone... these are some great suggestions. I'll check out the toddler attachments and the strollers mentioned here. I think you all are right that the standard triple stroller probably won't work, so these just might!

11. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I had a Mountain Buggy Urban Double (like Valco) with a Lascal Kiddie Board. My oldest was 2 1/2 when the twins were born, and was fine walking / standing. No need for her to sit anymore. I liked the MBUD more than the Valco. Would have bought the Valco if my oldest was quite a few months younger and I needed the seat but she did fine with the board. Easy to take off as well, as you go!

12. chicagomama

chicagomama Well-Known Member

For mom's with the Valco, how early did you put the twins in it? Do you have to wait about 3-4 months until they can support the weight of their head? My DD will be 23 months when twins are born, so I am also debating the seat vs. platform option for her...

13. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(chicagomama @ Apr 21 2009, 12:20 PM) [snapback]1282143[/snapback]
    For mom's with the Valco, how early did you put the twins in it? Do you have to wait about 3-4 months until they can support the weight of their head? My DD will be 23 months when twins are born, so I am also debating the seat vs. platform option for her...

I think the answer for Valco and MBUD is quite similar. They both recline quite a bit, and I could have easily used it from birth but I didn't get it until they were 3-4 months and by that time they were not fully laying down anymore already. I had the Chicago winter (born end of November) so I didn't make a lot of longer walks and just used the double snap n go. I already had MacLaren which fully reclined as well but that's not made for snow.

The one thing to keep in mind, at least with the MBUD (and I pretty sure it's kind of similar with a Valco), once you fully recline the seat, it's hard to have space left for the board and your child standing. The seats need to be a little more upright in order to have space to stand (with the MBUD she was basically standing between the handle and the seat). It was not trouble walking with it.

It also very much depends on your child. My oldest was 2 1/2 and when I found out about the twins (almost 2) I had her walk a lot more, just to practice. She's always been good but I did make an extra effort (also for undressing / getting dressed, etc.). With 23 months I would lean more towards a seat unless your child is really good with walking and depending on the distances you go.

Hope that helps.

14. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(chicagomama @ Apr 21 2009, 08:20 AM) [snapback]1282143[/snapback]

My older DD was 26 months when the boys were born and we used the Duoglider at first since we didnt go out alot or for long. But the twins could go in the Valco at anytime since the seats recline. I would opt for a toddler seat for a 23 MO but that is just my opinion. :pardon:

15. aussiemom

aussiemom Administrator Staff Member TS Moderator