Bike size for 3 year olds

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Stephanie M, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

Hello All,

Santa is planning to get my 3 year olds bikes for Christmas. I cannot decide between 12 or 16 inch bikes. They are about 38 inches tall. Any advice?

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine rode 12 inch bikes this summer and they will ride them next summer as well. Mine are about 39 inches tall and there is no way they would be able to ride a 16 inch bike. In fact that is just the size my 9 year old gave up. I would either go with 12 or 14 inch right now.

3. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

We are going with the 12" bike. I am actually concerned that they may not be able to peddle that one.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I am taking my boys to a bike shop today to see what size they should get. I was thinking 16 inch, but maybe not now.

5. LNC20

LNC20 Well-Known Member

Mine are not that tall and they do great on the 16 in bike. I was surprised! We tried the different sizes out on them one day at toys r us. It helped make the decision for us!

6. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

If you can find a 14" bike, I would go for that. If not, I would do the 12". We bought a 16" for Bea and a 14" for Ainsley for their 4th birthday (they are about 40" tall). Ainsley has always had some gross motor delays and some balance issues, so we definitely stuck with the smaller bike for her. Bea tried out the 16" at TRU, and seemed OK, but once we got home, she was freaked out and felt like it was too high up. We went back and got a 14" for her. A&B always tend to be on the cautious side when it comes to things though.

7. frickandfrack

frickandfrack Well-Known Member

I would try them out if possible. My 4.5 yr olds can ride a 14 in, but are definitely more comfortable on the 12 in. I also think once you take the training wheels off that it is better for the bike to be on the small side.

8. debid

debid Well-Known Member

We have 16" bikes for the boys but only because someone else bought them (without asking...) Basically, if your child cannot stand over the bar in front of the seat, the bike is too large and they're going to struggle to use it which isn't good for building confidence. Since leg length varies and the measurement on a kids' bike is based on the wheel size rather than frame height, the only way to really know is to have your child stand over different bikes. I wish more stores sold the in-between 14" size or offered styles with a low stepover like the Schwinn Tiger but TRU is the only place I've seen a lower-cost 14" (Huffy).

9. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. We will likely go with the 12 inch. I may also try to get them to the store. When I take them to TRU all they want to do is look at the cars/trucks and the babies . . . no interest in bikes. Santa's bringing them anyway because they don't need a lot of toys!

10. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

12 inches will last them a while. I wouldn't pay top dollar!! Mine are 40 some inches and cannot reach the ground ( not EVEN CLOSE) on their 16 inch bikes!

11. stephe

stephe Well-Known Member

We got the boys adjustable Strider Balance Bikes for their 3rd birthday this past April. They are perfect size and mastered them in no time. My husband got out an old 12 bike that was in my dad's storage shed and let them try it out without training wheels. They both took off on it the 1st time! It took a few times to figure out how to stop but they have that now too.

So we are getting them 12 inch bikes for Christmas and not using the training wheels at all so the shorter ones will be much better for them.

12. thetaphi_62

thetaphi_62 Well-Known Member

My neighbor's 5 year old just started on a 16" bike and it still looks big for him (he is normal sized). When he started to go without training wheels, they went back to the smaller bike, and it was much easier for him to learn and gain confidence. My inlaws are getting the boys' bikes for their birthday and got the 12 in ones (hopefully). My MIL asked me if she should get them 2 of the same or 2 different and I eventually said 2 of the same, but wasn't sure how to handle that one...