Biophysicals

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by bseithel, Jan 6, 2009.

1. bseithel

bseithel Member

Hi everybody- I am 30 w 1 day and had my Bio today. They told me that Baby B's cord measurement is elevated and that its not quite so high they need to deliver, but that i cannot miss next weeks appt. He told me that if it is still elevated they will send me to the hospital and get a steroid shot. I am really confused about this and was wondering if anyone has any experience. Thank you for any help in advance. I'm worried for my little boy. Oh, i guess u should tell you, i am pregnant with identical boys. The measurements at last weeks appt was Baby A 3 lbs and baby B 2 lbs 11 oz.

2. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

Im not quite sure what specifically why they would be worried about elevated cord flow.. I know that the cord flow is important. I know with my baby A, she has low fluid and they were worried about that, but that she had good cord flow, and good kidney and bladder function. It might have to do with the fact of mo/di twins and that they share a placenta.. I would specifically ask your dr when you go next week.

3. nicinthebu

nicinthebu Well-Known Member

I am sorry I dont have any words of wisdom but I did want to wish you luck at your apt next week.

4. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I am not sure either - I just wanted to send you a :hug: and let you know that you are in my thoughts!

5. Joanna416

Joanna416 Well-Known Member

I have had the opposite with my little guy - his flow has been restricted - I'm not sure why extra flow would be an issue but I would ask the OB why they arre concerned...

6. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

maybe they meant that the dopplers were elevated? that would be my guess. we delivered at 33w6d with IUGR mono/di girls. feel free to pm me with questions or look back through my posts. we got tons of great advice and support with each one.

7. hrm17

hrm17 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TwinsInFL @ Jan 12 2009, 04:30 PM) [snapback]1143741[/snapback]
    maybe they meant that the dopplers were elevated? that would be my guess.

That would be my guess too. They probably mean that the S/D ratio is elevated, which means that there is restricted flow in the cord. It is an early sign that one of your babies may go into distress at some point and they'd have to deliver. The steroid shot is a preparation for delivery.

Sounds like they just want to keep an eye on it. They are being cautious, which is a good thing. My baby B has had elevated doppler for several weeks now; it's just something to watch.

Try not to worry, it sounds like your babies are doing well and you are in the home stretch!