Birth certificate s/o: social security numbers

Discussion in 'General' started by Trishandthegirls, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

The birth certificate question got me wondering... do any of your twins have consecutive Social Security Numbers? I assumed that my girls' numbers would be just one apart since they were born at the same time and their forms were submitted together, but the numbers are not even close. How about the rest of you?

And in case it's a confusing question, here's what I mean. I figured that their SSNs would look like:

150-33-1111
    150-33-1112

but instead they're:

150-33-1111
    150-58-2376

(not really their SSNs, but you get the point)

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ours are consecutive numbers here. :)

I wondered that too when we applied for them.

3. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Ours are consecutive. It's funny, because we were told by our social worker at the hospital to ask for non-consecutive numbers when we filed (which we did) so that there would be less confusion with insurance filing and such (already seeing that problem!). Well, we asked but were told that we would be issued what was available.

4. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

My kids' SSNs are consecutive- I thought it was kind of cool - Twin A's is the lower number - Twin B's nr is Twin A's nr +1.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Consecutive and I think it's cool, too.

6. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I was told that they shouldn't be consecutive numbers for identiy reasons--(my have different intials but this is especially important if your twins have the same initials.) The man at the SS office processed them a day apart on purpose since they were twins. He took all their paperwork on the same day, so I didn't have to drive the 45 minutes again the next day, but held one and entered it into the system the next day. Their cards both arrived by mail on the same day.

1 person likes this.
  7. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Mine have their first 5 numbers the same.

8. ECUBitzy

That's exactly what we were told! But they didn't handle it that way. :(

9. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The last digit is off by 2 on my kids. One is a 5, the other is a 7. I remember wishing they had been consecutive ;)

10. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

My boys SSNs are consecutive (same exact number, one ending in 07, the other 08). Thankfully their names/initials are quite different so hopefully no confusion.

Coincidentally their cell phone numbers are consecutive as well, only one digit off and end in the same numbers so (555) 555-5557 and (555) 555-5558. It's how I remember which number belongs to which boy.

11. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Consecutive here too.

12. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

The girls are consecutive as well. I did hear people say they should not be for identity theft reasons. I would hope neither girl would do that to their twin but I am sure it happens.

13. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

My twins social security numbers aren't even close. I hadn't heard anything about not wanting them to be consecutive and thought it would be cool if they were. I also assumed they would be, since the paperwork was sent in together. One twin starts with 516 and goes from there, the other starts with 517 and goes on. (Those first three digits seem to be the standard in Montana).

Consequently, my brother and I, who are about 3 years apart, have very close SSN's. Just the last two numbers are different. I still know what his number is because of that, and I think I saw his card way back when I was in HS and he was applying for his first job. So, the reasons for not having them be similar make sense, I just hadn't thought of it like that.

14. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Our are like 58 and 85 and the first 7 numbers the same

15. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

The girls only have the first 6 numbers the same, and the last three are no where near the same. I thought they would be consecutive, too, and was really surprised then they weren't.

16. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

My twins have consecutive numbers.

17. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The first five digits in a SSN are a location number, then a group number. The last 4 as far as I know, are just serial numbers, and don't mean anything other than there are so many other people in that group before you.

My sister and I are 6 years apart in age, but her SSN is lower than mine because we applied at the same time (when she was born) and she was first alphabetically.

And no, my two are not consecutive, yeah the first five numbers are the same, but the last 4 are completely different.

18. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

The last two digits of my girls is a good 20 #s apart. Which is funny since they have the EXACT same time on their birth certificate and they were filed at the same time.

Maybe the states that give similar numbers dont record that it is a multiple birth and the states that do- make sure they are different??

We still had trouble with insurance and NICU coverage, it got sorted out-- but at first they only covered one baby!

19. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

My boys are consecutive. Haven't had confusion though.

20. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is true, but I remember being told that the first 3 numbers indicate the state/area where the number was issued, the second 2 indicate the year the number is issued. But the 2 digit number isn't the year, so my kids were born in 2005 but their two numbers aren't 05, make sense? :D

Anyway, my twins have consecutive numbers.

21. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine have consecutive numbers too.

22. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine too - but the last 4 digits are not even close!

23. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Mine aren't even close.

24. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our social insurance #'s are 9 digits. The first 6 digits are the same for the boys but the last 3 are about 30 apart (I can't remember exactly). Their birth certificates don't say anything about being twins as far as I can remember either.

25. Jill R.

Jill R. Well-Known Member

We're in MI, and my kid's numbers are consecutive. They cross over to the next 10 though, so they're not 54 and 55, they're 59 and 60.

26. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

Mine aren't consecutive, but 5 or 6 off.

All of my kids but 2 have matching digits for the first 5. The 2 that don't were born in different states.

27. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I thought mine would be consecutive but the last 4 digits are about 1000 off. I know my older sister and I went to get our ss# together in DC when we were like 9 & 11, ours are only a couple digits off.

28. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Our boys are not consecutive SSN's. When I filed for SSN's after our adoption was final, the person at the social security office told me they would take both applications, but submit them 1-2 days apart so that the numbers would not be consecutive. The first 5 digits are the same, but the last four are not close at all.

Fuuny story, though. The social security office actually misplaced one of my boys' applications, so it didn't go through until more like 6 weeks after the other one when I called and was persistent that there seemed to be an issue - they finally found twin A's application, that hadn't gone through yet, paper clipped to the back of twin B's application. Good thing I checked and was insistent - they kept telling me to just wait and it would come soon!! I kept saying it didn't make any sense that I would get one card in the mail, and the other one still wouldn't be there 6 weeks later.

29. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Ours are consecutive, and Anna (my baby B) is the lower number.

30. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Consecutive. I wish they weren't.

My father is a twin. I could easily steal his twin sister's identity as I can answer all the security questions. Mother's maiden name. Date of birth. Place of birth. And because I'm a military brat, I long ago memorized my father's SSN (but I can't remember my husband's :rolleyes:). I know her number is one digit lower than my father's as he mentioned it to me when he saw my boys have sequential numbers.

The boys could steal each other's identities. Someone in their life, say wife or ex, could steal it. It leaves open so many vulnerabilities. Social Security really should have a policy against sequential numbers for siblings.

31. ECUBitzy

That's exactly how it was explained to me.

On that note, as a fellow Army brat, I have my dad's memorized. I also know my ex from college's and my husbands. I know my boss's as well. I'm a Rolodex of sensitive info!

32. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

My girls are off by just 3 digits. Every number is the same except the last one.

33. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

With all this talk of the security issues of having consecutive numbers, does anyone know if it's possible to get a new/different SSN?

34. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes!

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/79/~/request-for-a-different-social-security-number

I would think it would be better to do sooner rather than later on in life. There are so many things that are tied to your SSN as an adult, not so many tied to you as a child.

35. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm pretty sure my girls SSN are not close. I remember thinking that my sister and I have closer numbers and ours are 29 apart.

i did find this fun chart about the first 3 numbers.