Birthday Invitation Wording

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by smacneil, Jan 3, 2014.

1. smacneil

smacneil Member

My b/g twins are in kindergarten and are having a combined birthday party in February.  They are each inviting 10 kids from their separate classes.  I only want the guests to bring one present for the friend that is in their class and not for both.  (Actually I'd prefer not to have ANY more presents in this house so soon! lol)  How do you think is the best way to word that on the invitation?

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

For my girls 5th party we invited kids from both of their classes and did a book exchange instead of gifts for this very reason! I didn't want people to feel like they had to bring two presents (especially since some parents didn't even know my girls were twins,), and I didn't want a bunch of stuff the girls didn't need. Every child brought one wrapped book and we played a game and each kid got to go home with one new book! I thought it was a good idea, but not everyone agreed and some people still brought gifts.

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Same situation here. I just put one name on each invitation. I know the gifts won't specify who it is for but I figured it's better than having parents feeling obligated to buy two, or not coming for that reason. I was tempted to say no gifts but I've spent so much in gifts for other kids' parties, I guess it's their turn, lol! And their party is 2 days before their actual birthday so I can go very light on what I give them after... sounds good to me.

Last year I put both names, but they knew all the kids and all the parents knew them too.

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I put the name of the child inviting on the invitation.  If a child is friends with both, I will put both names.  Some people will sent two gifts regardless of what you ask.

5. Janclamat

Janclamat Well-Known Member

I like the book exchange idea. My girls have their 6th birthday in March and it will be their first "friends" party too and I think more kids will come if they have a book exchange b/c everyone knows they are twins. What game did you play to exchange the books? Is it possible for you to talk to parents before the event about the gift arrangement?

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

In kindergarden my twins had a combined party, they both wanted a bowling party, but they each invited 5 friends.  I just put that child's name on the invite and sent it out that way.  No one even knew (until they got there) that it was a party for their twin as well. :good:  And honestly, that's the way I wanted it.  Now, my twins actually have separate parties.

7. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

My boys will turn 8 in a couple weeks, so we're in the middle of party stuff right now as well. We still do combined parties because it's what my boys want (they are given the option every year, but I have to admit each time we have this conversation, I breathe a sigh of relief they want to have their party together!). They each get to choose a certain number of friends, and when I fill out the invitations, I only put that twins name on the invitation.

At this point it makes no difference for us because all their friends know they are a twin and they actually all play together as one big group. :)

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We played hot potato, but instead of just being "out" when the music stopped, the child got a wrapped book.  I bought a couple extra books so each child would have one to take home (just in case someone didn't bring one).  On the invitation I wrote "In lieu of presents, we'll do a book exchange! If you'd like to participate, please bring one new wrapped book and each child will get to pick one to take home."  Some parents called and asked if the girls were ok with this idea and about not getting presents.  Others brought a wrapped book and a present.  We had their party at a bowling alley and we did the book thing in between lunch and cupcakes.  It was a perfect little break for them to look at their new books while eating cake!  

9. Janclamat

Janclamat Well-Known Member

Thank you!