Birthdays at school

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by megkc03, Oct 1, 2012.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The boys will celebrate their fifth birthday in school this year! Eek! Do I keep em home?!? Lol! I'm thinking of doing chuck e cheese with them before school(teachers will love me!). I can't bring in any treats due to allergies.

Any ideas, if I were to send something in, that I could do? There are only about ten kids or so. TIA!

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I always send my kids to school on their birthday. For PreK, K & 1st grade, they made a big deal about it at school so I let them have their fun there.

I've always brought in treats, cookies or cupcakes. I don't know what I would do if they told me I couldn't because of allergies. Maybe get some cheapy toys or goodie bags?

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I send my kids to school too. And bring cupcakes in. If I couldn't send treats I might send treat bags.

The kid gets to chose what we have for supper (school nights I cook, weekends we go out), and I bake a cake for supper. They get to open 1-2 gifts from us on their actual birthday. We go out (usually for pizza) on their birthday weekend, and they have their birthday party on the weekend.

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids have always gone to school on their birthday too. It never occurred to me to keep them home. :pardon: This is the first year we are not allowed to send a treat in during lunch time for the class. :( We are encouraged this year to just send fun erasers or pencils, etc. for the class. In the previous years that we could take something in I always took in cupcakes for the class at lunch time. :good: A few kids have had their bdays at school already and my kids have brought home a pencil or eraser or something like that. I told my kids this year since I can't bring in a treat for the class I would bring them (my kids) lunch from McDonald's or Subway into school on their bday. :)

5. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

It depends on when my last day off was :) Honestly, we usually send DS1 in because his birthday is right before Christmas and just after Thanksgiving so another day at home won't be special at that time. He does get to pick dinner. As for school, they are not allowed to celebrate with food so we can either send in small toys or donate something to the classroom. For the twins, since they have a summer birthday, they may or may not be at home. We usually send in food (their pick ) and they also get to decide on dinner.

6. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

If you can't do treats, check out Oriental Trading Company... they have lots of cute craft or sticker kits that are usually sold in lots of 12 and as an added bonus, they are super cheap. They also sell things like stickers, tatoos, bubbles, and lots of other stuff that may give you other ideas. Free shipping. I love that site.

7. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

My son's friend just had his 5th birthday at school and they make it out to be a big deal so its fun for the kids to still go to school! And the mother brought in little loot bags of Playdough, a pencil, some stickers and a Kinder Egg. Thankfully your kids only have 10 in their class because it could get expensive! My son is one of 27 in his class!!

8. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We are not allowed to bring in treats either, and as they get older, any kind of treat is discouraged. Our cafeteria does offer "snack coupons", so you can buy a coupon for each kid in the class, and they can get an extra snack. My kids are never in school for their birthday, but they are usually in camp, so we send in a treat--usually ice pops because one of their groupmates has a dairy allergy.

I would check with the school first. In our school, this is not allowed.

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

You can wait and see what the other kids do. Some schools have rules too, my kids' preschool won't let them bring treat bags or anything this year, because they want to treat birthdays the same... so it's cupcakes/cookies, birthday napkins and juice, and that's it (but I don't think we have bad allergies). Last year I brought juice and cupcakes, but some parents went over the top with hats, goodie bags and whatnot. This year I'll probably do cookies as it's two classrooms, and I don't really want to have to buy or make 25 cupcakes. I'll probably be scheduled to help that day too (it's a co-op), I'm not sure how that will work as they're in two different classrooms. I guess I'll ask the teachers.

Anyway, my plan is to just give them presents when we get home (I guess hubby will miss it unless he takes the day off and helps at school, lol), and get a cake for after dinner. It's the first time they have school on their actual birthday too, and it's a long day so they won't be home until 3pm.

10. summerfun

I have been at this school for 7 years now ( since my oldest is now in 6th grade) and we are allowed to do this. :good: I do this every year at least once for my kids. We just can't bring in treats for the entire class now due to allergies, but you can bring in lunch for your child. :good:

11. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We're not supposed to bring anything in to school for birthdays, period. Parents are allowed to come eat lunch with the kids, so I don't see why they wouldn't let you bring food in for your child, but I think they would frown on unhealthy food (as much as the kids might love it), so I would save that for dinner afterwards!

They also don't want parents bringing in goody bags, small toys, etc. Maybe I'm a birthday grinch, but I agree -- I think they get plenty of that stuff at birthday parties outside of school.

Our kids have always gone to school on their birthday too (unless it was a weekend). In daycare we would send in muffins or something. In kindergarten the teachers had invented a new tradition of having the child make a birthday book in advance of their birthdays -- one page per year with a photo from that year and a little caption. The child was supposed to dictate the caption, the parent writes it down, and the child practices he/she can "read" it to the class on their birthday.

The kids seemed to love it, and I admit I was relieved not to have to think of what to do.

12. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I have to go to work on my bday so they have to go to school. Since their bday is a week before Halloween I think Halloween is enough

13. megkc03

I have to wonder if going to school and bringing in lunch/having lunch with your child is a regional thing? I honestly never heard about it until TS(but then again, I didn't have kids until I joined TS, lol). I'm in the northeast, and I've never heard of that.

I won't keep my boys home on their birthday. Lol. They only go for 2.5 hours. And if they stayed home? They'd nap! :laughing:

I agree with sending in crap. I have some free junior frosty coupons from Wendy's, I could always send those in with stickers or something. We'll see. I'm sure I'll have plenty to do beforehand, that this will be a distant memory! :laughing:

I have to say Alden, I really like that idea! Of doing a little book of some sort. As the new room parent, I may have to suggest it! Thanks! :good:

14. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I think the lunch thing is a regional thing. My son's school allows it but this is the first place I've lived (out of 6 places) that I've heard you can do this.

15. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Honestly I wish nobody did anything on birthdays at their preschool. I agree that there's plenty of celebration between home and the party, and it's really a pain to have to get cupcakes or cookies for school, but if I don't do it, they'll feel left out. I hope it won't be allowed in kindergarten, lol.

16. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I have to say, I love the way Marcus' preschool handled birthdays. They would celebrate all birthdays during a month during one day. The teacher would make a cake--to cover allergy issues, and the "birthday kids" would decorate it. On that day only, you could send in non-edible treats. Summer birthdays were either done in May or Sept, so all kids were covered. It was when the kids got to elementary school that it would get crazy!

17. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I never thought of keeping the child home on their birthday. School is important and the birthday can be celebrated at home. We can send in store bought treats. A classmate of Audrey's brought in cupcakes last week. I try to keep it fairly healthy when I send in 'treats.' I am thinking though a little toy might be better than a 'treat.' We'll see. Summer birthdays can be so hard for kids.

18. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

While YOUR school might allow it, it is still a good idea for others to check. All the schools in this area discourage outside food such as this.

I think you have had some great ideas for what to do on the day of their birthday. What about some of those little Lego sets....really little ones? It would be a great way to keep the theme of this years birthday going at school.

1 person likes this.
  19. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

So far in our elementary schools (K-6) we can bring in a treat for the whole class. I usually order soft pretzels for everyone. I think the majority of kids can eat that. Heck every Tuesday, our school has pretzel day, where you can place an order for a pretzel for snack on Thursday. The 6th graders also have donuts days where they sell donuts for $1 to raise money for all the trips and activities they participate in. We are definitely a snack friendly school. We just are asked to keep nuts out of the classroom.

20. summerfun

And that's fine and you're right everyone should check with their school. I was responding to the post directed at me about making sure it was allowed at MY school.

21. megkc03

Thanks everyone for your input. :)

I know the boys are going to be super excited to go to school on their birthday! I can see their smiles already!

I ended up finding the Halloween packs of playdoh for 50% off at Kohls, plus a coupon, lol, so it was a good deal. I will just do that and the free frosty jr coupon to Wendy's. :)

Now to plan this party!