Black/blue mark on gums

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by JoannaD, Sep 7, 2011.

1. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

T2 is currently working on his molars. One top molar broke through with no problems (other than crappy sleeping). He's working on the top molar on the other side of his mouth. I noticed the white just under his gums the other day and when I looked again, his gum is now black/blue where the molar appears to be coming in. I'm concerned about it since I've never seen or heard about that before with teething. Is this normal? Should I call the doctor? And potentially dumb question- we're switching to a new ped and their first appointment is on the 27th. I've already sent the request to transfer paperwork to the new doctor. Do I call the new doctor or their old doctor?

Thanks!

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would call the old doctor for right now. I would say, I would not be surprised if that was a bruise from teething but it never hurts to check with the pedi. Keep us posted :hug:

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ditto Nancy, it doesn't hurt to get it checked, but I'm guessing it's bruising from the molar too. Molars are brutal because there's such a wide area to come through, unlike the front teeth! :hug:

4. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

Thanks girls! I talked to a friend who is a dental hygentist (Krisygirl here on TS) to see if it was something I needed to be concerned about ASAP or if it could wait until Monday. I live in Central PA where we've gotten massive flooding, so I didn't want to worry about the doctor right now unless it was an emergency. Driving was impossible yesterday and part of today. It's still not great, but better. She agrees that its most likely bruising from teething and not to worry. I'm going to give it the weekend and see how it is on Monday. We should be able to get to the doctor's by Monday.

5. marikaclare

marikaclare Well-Known Member

We had this one of our little guys and we took him to the pediatrician who was not alarmed and told us it would go away with time. Zachary was never bothered by it but it took a few weeks to go away. I think it was called a hematoma and I googled/images it and saw similar pictures. Good luck!