Black out shades

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinsnowwhat, Mar 1, 2010.

1. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

With the days starting to get longer (yippie!) I am wondering if I should put up some blackout shades. My thought in the past has been that I would prefer they be able to sleep where ever and not have to worry about only being able to sleep if their room is very dark. I have also seen a idea about having a "wake up light" that is on a timer although I think they are just too young for that logic/rule. Guess I can always wait and see if it is an issue for them.

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I think if it isn't an issue for them now then I wouldn't worry about it. Mine had to have them from very early on and it does make it hard when we go to other places. If you do get them we got ours at Bed Bath and Beyond on sale and they are awesome! GL

3. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We've never had them, but I am considering them. My guys' window faces west, and since the days get ridiculously long in the summer here (sun sets around 10pm in June) I'm afraid that it will keep them up.

It didn't bother them last year though, so I guess I'll wait and see.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

we just have a dark coloured sheet tacked up over their window - when we travel we just take the sheet with us! depending on where we're going we'll just kind of drap it over the existing window covering or (if it's family ;) ) use thumb tacks to put it up. it's more of an issue for night sleep than day time though so if we're at someone's house during nap time we don't worry about it.

5. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

Last year I put tin foil on the windows. It helped keep his room cool as well as dark. We were having trouble with him not going to bed till it got dark and waking up terribly early. Once I put the tinfoil on he went back to sleeping really well. It can be kinda gloomy but I can still open the windows to let some light in when I want to.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just started having issues with the babies waking up earlier and earlier this week. I had some posterboard up over the window but it wasn't enough. I put tinfoil up first and then replaced the posterboard, and it's much darker in there now! :D They are back to sleeping until their proper time now!

I did a wake up light with my oldest ds at about age 3, I need to start that with my oldest dd, she's getting up too early already!

7. tundrababy

tundrababy Well-Known Member

Tinfoil is a great idea! We have darkening shades from Home Depot and I think they are well worth for $40. Our boys room face west and gets tons of light just not conducive to afternoon naps.

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The kids bedrooms get a lot of morning and afternoon light, so we do have heavy blankets to block out some of the sun. I would say taking the wait and see approach is always a good idea and if the kids start having difficulty sleeping, you can get the blackout shades.