Black Out Shades

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cm301263, Mar 26, 2012.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

I sometimes think that if I gave Black Out Shades a try...it would help with nap time...BUT I'm a bit worried that if I start doing that...it will condition them to only be able to fall asleep WITH them....and of course not everywhere we may happen to be...will have them.

Should I or Shouldn't I.....hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

2. ihavesevensons

ihavesevensons Well-Known Member

We have them, and they haven't affected if/when my children need to sleep elsewhere......I say to go for it!

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We've used them since the girls were born & they do have trouble sleeping in bright rooms (or at least never sleep as long). If we're somewhere else, I at least try to rig a dark sheet over the window which is usually doable & better than nothing.

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've used them for all of my kids, and yes, they do have trouble sleeping in a bright room. However, the only time we're in a bright room is when we're on vacation, and since they are usually EXHAUSTED when we're on vacation (or camping), they still sleep at night just fine ;) They may get up a bit earlier than normal, but we're on vacation, so that's okay :p

I do also try to hang a sheet or towel up in windows if I can. Or taping up aluminum foil works wonders too, we've done that before when visiting someone.

5. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Ditto. We use a blackout curtain over top of wood blinds in their room at home. And we keep a black sheet at the in-laws, which we double up and attach to the wooden blinds with chip clips :D Their room at the grandparents isn't quite as dark as their room at home, but its dark enough and they usually sleep great there. When we stayed at a hotel last year it really wasn't a problem there because they have such thick, heavy drapes.

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Mine and the girls room both have black outs. I do think it helps for nap time or when it's still light a 9pm. Mine sleep just fine at nanas with no black outs. I however don't lol

7. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Instead of going for blackout shades, I went for purple curtains in a heavy fabric. The room isn't completely dark during nap times but it's still a big enough contrast from the lighting elsewhere in the house that it provides the cue that it's time to go to sleep (most of the time!). Now my daughter doesn't have anyone to help keep her up at nap time either so that may make a difference.

8. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

We live in Alaska where it is light out at midnight in the summer so we had no choice but to get them. Our girls would absolutely not sleep with any light in the room. The shades really helped that a lot.

9. aquickworld

aquickworld Well-Known Member

We've always used blackout shades for everyone and it does make a big difference. To help save a little money we go and by the kids room ones, for some reason they are always 5-7 dollars cheaper a panel! Kinda crazy when it's the same thing just marketed differently. Good luck and here's to happy napping :)

10. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

We have blackout shades as well and it doesn't affect them when we are elsewhere too much! When we were at my mom's for 6 weeks, they still slept in until 9 despite it being lighter.

11. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

You can also get those block outs that have the suction caps so you can use at other places as well... We have them at home but my mum doesn't and we've never had any issues, either.

12. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Another vote for blackouts!!! I LOVE those things!!