blocked duct & wiggly kids

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by daisies, Aug 24, 2012.

1. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Hey,

I have what I think is a blocked duct. Breast is sore, hurts to bf or pump, especially at first. I have had this before and have just stayed the course and it has gotten better. This time it just isn't getting better. I have added an extra pumping session.. any other suggestions?

Little back ground info: I am an adoptive mom and did the protocol to produce milk so I have never made a lot of milk. When they were 3 months they were getting about 30% bm, now probably only 5%. I bf them only once in the morning and then pump once in the evening. Our morning routine is for me to bf while DH makes the bottles.

Is my blocked duct happening because I am only expressing milk twice a day. Is that an unreasonable schedule?.. too infrequent?

My other question is what to do about wiggly kids? They are ~6 months old and DD is all over the place when she nurses. I tried holding her still (not with force, just firmly). When she cant wiggle she bits me. I told her 'no bite'.. her response is to not nurse. So now she nurses but wiggles and turns around while still attached!.. not comfortable! I turn off the lights and it is better, but not good.
    She has never been a very patient nurser. NOTE: she is on the breast that is not blocked and I have not seen a reduction in supply (from that breast) when I pump.
    Maybe she is just done?

I am almost ready to stop anyway. Every time I think about sending back that pump I think.. YEAH! But recently I got sick, my husband got sick, but the kids did NOT.. hooray, antibodies! So, I am still going.....

I have loved that I have been able to give them some bm, but right now it is just frustrating.. between the wiggling and the discomfort.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions,

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would try to nurse them more on that side and use a wide-toothed comb in a HOT shower to try to break up the duct. It's common when weaning/dropping a nursing session to get a plugged duct. You can also put a HOT washcloth on the breast where the duct is when they nurse and rub vigorously to try to get it to break up.

My daughter is so wiggly that I have to do what you do - nurse in a dark room, can't read, usually have to hold her hands to get her to focus. Sometimes I just wait as I don't think she's actually hungry at the 2 hour mark (she can go 3 hours during the day but then will wake in the middle of the night-arg!) Sometimes people have good luck with a 'nursing necklace' a special necklace the baby can play with only when you nurse.

3. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Try nursing on your hands and knees, with your boob hanging down. It works every time for me! And wow that is AWESOME that you produced milk!! It might be caused by the infrequent nursing/pumping, but it would depend on how engorged you get in between. More often is definitely always better.