Blocked Tear Ducts

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinboys07, Nov 28, 2008.

1. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

After 11 months of almost constantly crusty, goopy eyes, Jackson had the very minor surgical procedure to open his tear ducts when he was about 11 months old (May '08). I know at least some of you went through the same thing-- it's not a big deal.

He had been fine for about 5.5 months after the surgery. However, it seems like ever since his last cold, his eyes are staying all crusty, teary, and goopy again! I have been using some antibiotic eye drops that his brother was prescribed a few weeks ago for conjunctivitis (same Rx Jack used for the first year of his life), but it hasn't helped. Does anyone have experience with this happening and having a stent placed in the tear duct to ensure they drain properly long-term? This is what the ophthalmologist said would be the next step if the blocked ducts came back. I'd like to hear about how you knew that your child needed medical attention (vs. just being a hyper-vigilant parent) to address this recurring issue. I don't want to seem like a hypochondriac, but I also don't want my kid to have eye problems because I waited to get him seen again for this issue.

Thanks!

2. nadana77

nadana77 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I don't have an answer but wanted to see if you could share some info on the procedure you had done with you son @ the ophthalmologist.
    Logan has a blocked tear duct that always keeps goopy and teary especially when in the direct sunlight. Our pedi said at our last visit at 15 mths. that we could continue rubbing it with warm compresses but, she feels like it isn't going to open up and that she could refer us to an ophthalmologist.
    But she recommened us to wait after he is 2 years old? I'm trying to understand why wait? One more thing DH insurance will not cover an ophthalmologist.

Good Luck with you son and I hope his eye is better soon and clears up on it's own :)

3. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

My son had blocked tear ducts for most of his first year of life. The procedure we had done was really simple. They use a very fine metal wire and run it through the length of the tear duct to clear any blockages. The hardest part is letting your baby go with a stranger (nurse) and knowing they will be under anesthesia. When they wake up, after the 15 minute procedure, they are usually pretty freaked out and disoriented by the effects of the anesthesia. Otherwise, he was fine and playing by the same afternoon. It seemed like he was basically unphased by the whole experience. The ophth that we saw said they usually only wait until 1 year of age to do the procedure, so I don't know why your doc would want you to wait another 9 months, especially if this has been going on for a long time.

Good luck-- I hope you are able to get your son's problem sorted out. Very sorry to hear about your insurance situation. We need universal healthcare in this country!!

QUOTE(nadana77 @ Nov 29 2008, 06:17 AM) [snapback]1089905[/snapback]
    Hi,
    I don't have an answer but wanted to see if you could share some info on the procedure you had done with you son @ the ophthalmologist.
    Logan has a blocked tear duct that always keeps goopy and teary especially when in the direct sunlight. Our pedi said at our last visit at 15 mths. that we could continue rubbing it with warm compresses but, she feels like it isn't going to open up and that she could refer us to an ophthalmologist.
    But she recommened us to wait after he is 2 years old? I'm trying to understand why wait? One more thing DH insurance will not cover an ophthalmologist.

Good Luck with you son and I hope his eye is better soon and clears up on it's own :)

4. nadana77

nadana77 Well-Known Member

Thanks for gving me the info I really appericate it :)

Take Care and Have A Great Weekend,
    Nadana

5. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

Bryan's eye is similar when he gets a cold, but his hasn't seemed to get as bad as you're describing. Most of the time, his eye is just great, but like you said, when he gets a cold, it gets goopy again. I've wondered if this is something I should bring up to the ped, if it needs to be re-done, or if it'll get better as he gets older and bigger.

I'd say if it's been 2 weeks like that, I'd certainly call. I believe they say a cold should be over within that time, so if it's lasted that long, something else may be going on. I don't think that's being paranoid, and I don't think letting it be that way for 2 weeks will hurt if it hasn't been that long yet. I mean, shoot, before the surgery, Bryan's eye would be yucky for much longer than that!

So that's my .02! I hope it clears up on it's own very soon so you just don't have to mess with it! :hug:

6. cutiepies

cutiepies New Member

We had the simple procedure done for my DD and her eye improved but it still waters a lot. The next step was to put in the stint and we opted out. It's very watery but not goopy most days (unless she has a cold). My ped said that it will clear up on it's own...usually by three years old when her tear ducts catch up in growth. It doesn't seem to bother her and if the surgery is just cosmetic then that to me was why I wanted to wait it out.
    Hope that helps.