Blood transfusion following delivery?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by [email protected], Oct 21, 2007.

1. lsafer@pacbell.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I am reading up on labor and delivery now that my due date is approaching. I read how common blood transfusions can be for women carrying twins (due to the double placenta). I've been reading all the birth stories and have rarely seen anyone post about needing a blood transfusion. Just curious to hear if anyone out there had one and how it went..etc.?

Thanks,
    Lanie

2. DarciH

DarciH Well-Known Member

Hi Lanie, I gave birth to our b/g twins on 6/29 and required a blood transfusion due to blood loss--I received 4 units of packed red blood cells. My hematocrit went clear down to 15 (If I recall correctly the average number for women is around 30-35). I would be lying in the hospital bed and be fully engaged in a conversation and fall asleep in two seconds, then I'd wake up a few minutes later and start right where I left off! I had never felt so tired in my whole life. After we were discharged, I had to take some pretty heavy duty prescription iron supplements for several weeks, and it took about that long before I really felt like I had my strength again.

Darci

3. DarciH

DarciH Well-Known Member

I should have done my research before posting--the average hematocrit for adult women is actually 38-46%, and basically is the measurement of the packed RBC (red blood cells) in the complete blood count. What is amazing is the average life span of red blood cells is about 120 days, so those I received after delivery are just about to expire! :p

I also forgot to mention I did deliver via scheduled c-section at 37 weeks...

HTH!

4. twomore

twomore Well-Known Member

They gave me a choice between taking some heavy duty iron pills everyday for at least 3 months post, or a blood transfusion, since I was feeling ok,(which really suprised the doctor and nurses), and blood transfusions kind of scare me, I chose the pills. I don't know what the number was though

5. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

I had a c-section, and did not need a blood transfusion or iron pills. Just continued taking my prenatal vitamins (since I'm breastfeeding).

Good luck! Hope you have an easy delivery and recovery. :)

6. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

I did lose a liter of blood during my c-section and my hemoglobin was low....it was kind of low before the c-section too. I didn't have a blood transfusion but did take iron pills while in the hospital.

April

7. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

I had some heavy bleeding a week post c-section, and almost had to have a transfusion, but ended up with iron pills twice a day for 3 months instead. I ended up in the emergency room, and this is not common per my OB (who has twins herself and sees a lot of twin moms).

8. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

I had 4 unit for a surgery last July not for my c-section though. They are not too bad and really helped my recovery. I couldn't imagine trying to take care of twin if I needed all that blood. YOu can't stay awake and have no energy. If they want you to have one. I would recommend it.

9. skitles

skitles Well-Known Member

Add me to the list of people receiving a transfusion...4 units, also. I was soooo tired. I thought it was the percocet (I had other problems as well, including a c-section that leaked fluid and preeclampia that developed AFTER delivery...who knew!) but now I'm pretty sure it was the anemia because I felt like that even on days that I didn't take any percocet. I'd fall asleep during conversations, too!

I write all this not to scare you, but to prepare you! I had NO idea how bad postpartum recovery could be. I hope you won't have any complications at all! :winking0009:

10. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I had a section with no complications and needed no blood or extra iron

11. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I lost a lot of blood during my c-section but took the strong iron pills - I felt like I had been hit by a train for several months afterwards - I'm not sure if it was the surgery, blood loss or having 2 newborns with no help that did it

12. mirinda

mirinda Member

I had a transfusion. I had a c-section for my twins at 35 weeks due to pre eclampsia. I was so sick after the delivery I couldn't see them for 2 days (they were in the NICU so couldn't come up to me). I felt horrible and actually got sick just from trying to fill out the papers for naming our babies. My nurse knew I needed a transfusion but it took forever for them to get labwork done and get the doctor to order it but once I got 2 units I gradually started to feel better. I really wasn't prepared for how bad I felt after the c-section. Hopefully you won't need a transfusion and will recover quickly!

13. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

add me to the list, i had a partial placental abruption and lost alot of blood.

14. canucktwins

canucktwins Well-Known Member

I had a blood transfusion too after my scheduled section. I couldn't stand up because of the dizziness from the anemia. My hospital said only 1 % of all deliveries require transfusions. In hindsight I think I should have donated my own blood beforehand. I'm still on iron pills too but felt a million times better after the transfusion. Jen

15. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

I did not need one but my LO did! I wish DH could have donated earlier because he's the same blood type. There was no time for that though.

16. 2boysforus

2boysforus Well-Known Member

My OB left the decision up to me - stay in the hosptial one more day and get the transfusion, or go home and take the heavy duty iron. I chose the latter, but in hindsight, I probably should have opted for the transfusion. I was so weak and nearly passed out at the pedi's office two days later! I made DH stop at Wendy's for some chicken sandwhiches for strength!