Blood Transfusion

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by h2believe, Mar 27, 2009.

1. h2believe

h2believe Well-Known Member

DH has been doing a lot of research on the possibility of a C-Section. He wants to feel prepared and know what to expect. One of the things, he says, he's run into in his research is that the mom may need a blood transfusion. He also said it's a "routine" thing, so it isn't something they'd tell you about. Just as they wouldn't make a bit thing if they gave you an IV with a saline drip or something like that...

Anyway, I guess my question to BTDT moms is did you know if you had a blood transfusion due to having a C-Section?? Is it really something routine that isn't made mention of and you're not really aware of it?

DH wants me to start now getting blood taken out so if I need a transfusion, I can use my own. He's real nervous about the possibility of infection or whatnot from someone elses blood...

Now I know I should ask my OB this, but at todays appointment I saw someone else in the practice and not my own OB and didn't quite feel comfortable asking.. first time I met the new OB and the reason I met her was in case MY OB wouldn't be available at delivery... I truly hope I have my OB there, but anyway, I plan on asking my OB when I see her in two weeks, but wanted to get input from other moms and their experience.

thank you!!

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I did not need a blood transfusion with my c-section, nor was it ever mentioned that was a possibility, but I also had an emergency one so that could have been why. With any major surgery there is that risk of needing a blood transfusion. I know when I had an ovarian cyst removed at age 17, I donated blood for myself in case I would need it during my surgery. Luckily, I did not.

3. oh-baby-baby

oh-baby-baby Well-Known Member

very intresting...
    Can a person donate their own blood while pregnant? It would be great if they could, would cut down on the need for blood and if they didn't need it then it could go to the blood bank...that would increase donations...

4. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I knew one of the biggest risks of a c-section, especially with twins, was blood loss. But that was from my own research and with talking with nurses while in ante-partum. I did lose a lot of blood and came very close to needing a transfusion, but didn't.

I would talk at length with your doctor.

5. oh-baby-baby

oh-baby-baby Well-Known Member

I just checked the eligibility requirements at my local bloodbank and you can not donate while pregnant....that's not to say that your doctor wouldn't do it...I guess you'd have to ask them. Good luck!

6. h2believe

QUOTE(oh-baby-baby @ Mar 27 2009, 06:39 PM) [snapback]1247652[/snapback]
    very intresting...
    Can a person donate their own blood while pregnant?

From what I understand and from what DH has researched on his own, you can do so if your doctor will help.. but here's the thing, you would have to do it over the span of several days BECAUSE pregnant. But I haven't heard of any moms actually needing this which is why I am asking :)

I called my own mother and asked her if she needed blood transfusion -she had three c-sections- and she said she did not need it. I am praying it doesn't come to it!

Thanks to all those that have thusfar replied!! If anyone has had experience with this, please share :)

7. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

This is something I was very worried about since my blood type is rare in the small community where I live, which also has no blood bank. But like most moms I sailed through the c/section without an need for a transfussion.

8. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I know of only one person who needed a transfusion during her csection with twins. I didn't need one but if your DH is concerned, it couldn't hurt to store up your blood.

9. mkhvjh

mkhvjh Well-Known Member

With you being this far along, I'm not sure if they would take blood from you if you wanted to use your own... I would ask either OB, it's a concern of yours don't be afraid.

I've known several people with c-sections and they never mentioned any transfusion. Good Luck!

By the way I just noticed.... our babies are due 2 days apart!!!!

10. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

I've had two c-sections and never needed a transfusion. I think that with any surgery there is always a possiblity of blood loss requiring a transfusion, but I've never heard that there is an increased risk associated with having a c-section.

11. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

I know they had blood ready for me if I needed, and I almost did. I had the choice and I chose not to. I was right on the edge of needing one. It took awhile for my iron to recover, but by my 6 week check things were definitely on the up. Do you know someone close to you that could donate blood. My DH and I are the same blood type.

12. aviatrixrn

aviatrixrn New Member

Hi Heather,

Just wanted to give my .02 cents worth..I'm an RN and if you needed a transfusion they would definately mention it. You actually need to give consent that you are
    willing to accept a blood transfusion. Like most of the other ladies here have mentioned, you most likely won't need one anyway but you can donate your own blood if you
    want to in advance. Definately talk to your ob about it and don't be afraid or uncomfortable to talk to them about your concerns. That is what he/she is there for!
    Good luck and congrats!

April

13. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

I am actually a lab tech who worked in a hospital blood bank. I know our protocal for C-sections was to have a Type and Screen completed in case they needed blood. I never saw a ton of people need it. You have to sign a consent before they give you blood.

14. h2believe

April & tpowers: thank you so much for your professional info!!!! I will definitely talk to my OB at my next appointment and I am glad to hear that they require consent!

Thanks everyone!!

15. LLA

LLA Well-Known Member

I had a vaginal birth and had to be given a few bags of blood because I started to hemorrhage very badly. At the time we had no idea how bad things got until a few days later. So just because you have a vaginal birth does not mean that you are free from the possibility. I hope that everything goes well for you and this is never a concern.

16. korie99

korie99 Well-Known Member

I did have to have a transfusion after my c-section. I lost alot of blood during the surgery and when it came time to get me up out of bed the next day, I blacked out. To be honest, I don't remember much about those first couple days or so. I know they were watching me very closely and hoping I wouldn't need a transfusion. But the next day my doctor informed me that (my blood count?? I can't remember the exact term they used...) was VERY low and that I'd need a transfusion. I cried, it scared the crap out of me. I had no complications as a result of the transfusion and within 24 hours I was feeling 100% better!!

17. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

I came very close to having one after my c/s. My uterus was so beyond stretched out that they couldn't get it to retract. I had several complications but the dr assured me if I had a vaginal birth it would have been the same thing. They said my RBC was low and I should get one but they checked my hemoglobin and said I was on the fence of needing one. BUT I have thalassemia so that wasn't helping matters. I decided to wait one day and then didn't need it. I did have to be on pills though for a while. GL

18. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

I did not need a transfusion after my c-section but it was definitely a possibility. Do you have a family member with the same blood type that could donate just in case?? I don't think they will let you donate while you are pregnant.

19. h2believe

QUOTE(june07girl @ Mar 28 2009, 11:19 AM) [snapback]1248265[/snapback]
    Do you have a family member with the same blood type that could donate just in case??

My family is several states away and are not planning on coming till the babies and I are home... but I did talk to them and they are willing to fly in sooner to donate blood if it comes to that. My concern is, if it's an emergency and they can't make it to the hospital in time I'll be kinda out of luck and have to take what the hospital offers.

In any case, I will definitely post here what I find out from my OB once I've had a chance to get some more info and talk to her about what I can do.

20. ihavesevensons

ihavesevensons Well-Known Member

I have had 7 c-sections and I was very close to needing one after my 5th c-section (hemorrhaging in the recovery room). Twins were the next pregnancy and I was fine.