Book question: when you're expecting twins, triplets, and multiples

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Littlebitofeverythingmama, Dec 1, 2012.

I've read the reviews on this book and most seem to be good and much better than "Having Twins" which my friend let me borrow. I'm considering getting it on my kindle but wandered if it had a lot of charts and picture that I'm going to miss out on if I don't get the paper version.

Thanks for any help you can give!

1. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

I think I have this book, not on kindle but paper back, I can look and see if I do I can mail it to you.

2. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

If you don't, I do!

3. Wonderful. Thank you. What did you think of it as an overall general reference for a multiples pregnancy?

4. AKilburn

Okay no I have the " everything twins, triplets, and more book". The one I loved and still refer to at times is juggling twins by Meghan Regan loomis, the author is a twin mom herself

5. rayceryin12

I have the one you're referring to. Let me know and I'm more than willing to send it. I thought it was a good book for information, especially if you have no experience with twins.

6. Thank you so much. I just sent you a message. I have no (read: none, nada, zilch, zero) experience with twins. They always scared me to death and we have allowed God to plan our family size for 9 years. I still giggle every time I think of these little sweeties in my belly. And to feel them move around feels like a little dance. :)

7. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

I was able to get the book at my library (I don't remember if they had it on the shelf or I had to request it). Definitely get your hands on a copy somehow, it's worth every penny!

8. AKilburn

I was like you no real experiences with twins but I was so excited when we found out we were having twins, and they don't run in the family either, just happened! Mine are 3.5 months old and I sit here and wonder where the time went. I loved the pregnancy though. Adalynn was always so active and Jackson was very chill with the hiccups ... To this day thats how they still are!

9. AK, I love this poem in your signature! This pregnancy has been more intense than any other but I have relished in it more, honestly. Just very thankful for these little girls. I kinda had a hunch we were having twins before my 9 week sono. Hubby didn't believe me. That day was so exciting and our kids were (and still are) over the moon!

10. AKilburn

Haha! I was the same way!!!! Mainly bc I felt like I was showing a lot sooner than I should be, joked with my husband that it might be multiples. The night before my 8 week appt we watched the movie Change Up with has fraternal b/g twins in it and we were joking that it was going to be us, when we went in my doc was starting the ultrasound and I wasn't paying attention I was actually laughing with his nurse and out of the corner of my eye i saw my docs expression and turned to him and then he said, okay y'all need to pay attention to this! Said what do you see, marshall and I have never dealt with fetal ultrasounds before so we had no clue, he said there's one, there's another, and kind of left it hanging like he was goings to say there were 3, and then laughed and said, well I know what im doing all summer long, taking care of you!

I was a high risk patient to begin with due to a connnective tissue disease I have and then add the twins so it was even more high risk. I saw my OB twice a week and maternal fetal every month. I loved getting the ultrasounds or when they'd hook me up to the Doppler just so I could hear their heart beats. Towards thw end I was having to get weekly and then twice weekly NSTs, it was so funny bc theyd have to chase Adalynn around on the monitor and Jackson would always get the hiccups when he was on the monitor. ... I always just giggled.

This was my first, and will be my only pregnancy, so I dont have much to go off of but the morning sickness was more intense, the tiredness was more intense and towards the end the swelling was crazy ... Thank god for living in florida and wearing flip flops all the time! Lol. But honestly none of it was horrible for me. I was blessed that I wasn't working so I could rest when needed. When they put me on modified bed rest marshall went out and bought me one of those 4 ft above ground pools so I could at least be laying down and floating ... Honestly that helped tremendously with my joints too and the babies loved it (or I think they did) bc they'd get really active when I was in it

When are you due? Btw :welcome: to TS!

11. I am due April 19, but plan to induce delivery around 38 weeks - that would be April 5th. My birthday is April 4th and I can't think of a better birthday present! ;)

I'm also considered high risk. I have 2 gene mutations which cause blood clotting issues along with antiphosohilip antibody syndrome (another blood clotting disorder). I didn't know I had any of this until we lost our baby. I'm only 35, but apparently "age" can set it off though people have it their whole lives. I have been going in every 2 weeks for my own reassurance but now I will start going because it is twins. I have to have rate of growth sonos every 4 weeks then every week at the end. I'm on heparin shots twice a day and additional folic acid (these gene mutations cause folic acid deficiency which cause neural tube defects). We do believe the baby we lost had Spina bifida. Nothing to prove that except this little dot we saw near his spine which didn't match any of his other skin. It was very strange. But at the time no one was looking for these issues. I had the blood work done after his memorial service and everything had calmed down a bit.

Oh, what are NSTs?

I'm going to start another thread seeking modified bed rest tips. I hope you will chime in!! Sounds like you had a lot of experience.

12. AKilburn

Fetal non stress tests ... Where they hook they babies uo to the monitors look for the heart beats and if your contracting how they react.

There are 2 sticky threads ( theyre at the top of the forum when you come into expecting) you should check out, bed rest success stories and beginners tips, twins must haves ... They were a huge helo to me!

Sounds like you'll be like me and very closely monitored.

Do you have any other children? Im so sorry for your loss of your other child, I know that had to be hard. Dud you ever get the test results back?

13. We do. We have 6 living. Ages 16-almost 2. We lost a baby in 2007 due to progesterone then our baby in may. The test results came back showing all the gene mutation stuff. I wouldn't have had them done but my friend that lost a baby in January at 18 weeks insisted. Come to find out, we have something very very similar. I never would have believed it. She lost 4 babies in a row until she found a doctor to take her seriously. That's who we both see now.

14. AKilburn

Wow! What a great big family! How wonderful! My mom had 5 miscarriages cased by the issues with the connective tissue disease we have (eds) I was so petrified I'd lose the twins as this was my first pregnancy, I was very blessed, I didn't have the EDS nor typical twins complications. These two weren't planned in fact I was on birth control, but God had different plans, lol!

We decided we didn't want to risk it again since this was such a perfect pregnancy so before my 6 week checkup my husband got snipped. I'm happy with our little family but sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a big family like yours.

15. I'm so glad that you didn't experience the complications you expected. Now I'm really curious about the connective tissue issues and will have to read up. I get curious about that kind of stuff. Just a drive for knowledge in me, I guess.

Often God has much bigger plans than we ourselves have. My heart needed to break before I was ready for twins. I'm sad that I was so stubborn and now just am eager to have these little girls - when they are nice and ready!!

On a side note: 8 of our 10 children (including the ones we lost) were conceived post vasectomy reversal. God had much bigger plans for us there, too.

16. AKilburn

That is phenomenal! I'd read that a lot of people had problems conceiving after the reversal. My husband is 10 years older than me and I think some of it is hes scared of having children too late and not being anle to enjoy them. Both of us had been married before and for many reasons it didn't work out, one of his being he realized he wanted children, his ex wife did not. I had to laugh bc my MIL had told him when he divorced his ex wife that he'd end up falling in love with a "young thing" and would probably end up having children right away ... It was scary how right she was, lol!

17. We conceived 2 months later!! It was wild. People couldn't believe it. The doctor who did the surgery couldn't believe it. Lol

Wow, that is great that you two were brought together and then were blessed so quickly! Love that.

18. AKilburn

Wow that really is amazing! !!! God really did have big plans for y'all! Lol!!!!!

19. rayceryin12

I sent that Wednesday - let me know if gets to you safe! :)

20. Thank you so much. I'll let you know as soon as it gets here. So excited!