Book?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Fran27, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

My kids will be 6 in a couple months. What kind of books did you read to them at this age? My husband has been reading them the Hobbit, so thinking of longer chapter books that would be appropriate.

Also, once they start to read, what chapter books do you recommend?

2. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Good 'beginning chapter books':

Mercy Watson
    Cam Jansen (they have two levels- both chapter books)
    Magic Treehouse
    Breyer Chapter books (on horses)
    Down Girl & SIt (dogs)
    Frog & Toad
    Bink  & Gollie (some higher words, but great as a read together first then move to read alone)
    Step 1 & Step 2 readers (Fancy Nancy, Cars, popular movie characters)
    Cobble Street Cousins by Cynthia Rylant
    Rainbow Magic Fairies (girl oriented)
    Magic School Bus Chapter (higher level than others)
    Henry & Mudge
    Annie & Snowball
    Poppleton Series (easiest)
    Horrible Harry Series
    Ready Freddy Series

Binky the Space Cat is a great, funny, easy reader for a graphic Novel.

Good Read Alouds: (or read to self at late 2nd-5th grade level)

Moongobble & Me Series
    Catwings Series
    My Fathers Dragon
    Roald Dahl Series
    Lollipop the Pig Series (some fun british wording)
    Magic School Bus Chapter Books
    Pippi Longstocking
    The Littles Series
    The Boxcar Children series
    Cricket in Times Square
    Choose your own Adventure Series
    Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles
    Wizard of Oz
    Geronimo Stilton ( once they read at a 3rd grade level to read to themselves)
    White Fang
    Peter Pan
    Mr. Poppers Penguins
    STuart Little
    Mouse & the Motorcycle

Some really good picture books are also written at a great level, so dont leave those out!  Scholastic and DK have some early chapter books on informational text. Good early readers on space, bugs, dogs, etc.

Early Chapter books range form 1st grade level to 3rd--- so I would chat up your local librarian on where your kiddos are reading at and see what she suggests. 

1 person likes this.
  3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I love that list! We just bought a collection of Roald Dahl books and the boys are enjoying them.

1 person likes this.
  4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Another one that my kids love are the Ramona books.

5. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

The "Weird School" Series by Dan Gutman is also a great beginning Chapter book set.  They are fun and engaging.

6. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Horrid Henry is quite popular in my house, Flat Stanley is an option, and so are graphic novels like Babymouse and even G. Stilton has some graphic versions now. Mine still read plenty of picture books, especially the ones with a deeper message (and slightly longer), like Anthony Brown, Shawn Tan, Michael Foreman, etc. are great for developing good comprehension and a deeper understanding. Also, I have picture books on Anne Frank, a Child's Garden, a Spoonful of Rice (about the Cambodian Genoicide which we bought after visiting Cambodia), etc. that are suitable for children aged 6-8 already depending on their interests and what they're learning about in school. The other side by Jacqueline Woodson, also really good.

My twin girl loves Peter Reynolds, and especially The Dot, a magnificient picture book that looks so easy but has a great deeper meaning! There are so many great and fantastic picture books ... don't forget about those!

7. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

Dogzilla and Kat Kong were so popular at our school library that my girls had been waiting to borrow them since K and finally got their turn in 2nd grade.

8. hezza12

hezza12 Well-Known Member

My guys loved the Little House on the Prairie series, as well as anything by Beverly Cleary...