Books on twins n stuff

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jbritt325, Apr 24, 2009.

1. jbritt325

jbritt325 Well-Known Member

I was just wondering what books you guys recommend on the twin topic.

Any books you think are essentials for me, being new to the twin thing?

2. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

I really liked Twinspiration by Cheryl Lage. I found it to be less "preachy" and idealistic and more real life advice than some of the other books I read, as well as humorous. It was a good, quick read, IMO.

Eve

3. jranger05

jranger05 Well-Known Member

I loved the book "Juggling Twins" by Meghan Regan-Loomis. It was great. She uses her great sense of humour alot in the book and it was very informative. I've recommended it even to people without twins and they've enjoyed it. My husband read some of it (not a big reader) and he enjoyed it as well.

4. teafor2

teafor2 Well-Known Member

I loved, loved, LOVED "Ready or Not Here We Come!" By Elizabeth Lyons. I had read many other books and was a little disappointed...probably because I am super-sensitive and scared about having twins, so even ones others liked (such as Twinspiration) left me feeling like all anyone was saying was "Its going to be SOoooooo hard!" even when they were able to do so with humor. But Lyons' book really helped me. She addresses the three things she thinks you need to get through the first year (Humor, Perspective, Faith) and also gives lots of practical advice and lists of things, tangible and emotional, that will help. My favorite thing is that she constantly reminds the reader that having these babies is a blessing, that lots of things in life are hard, and that THIS hard thing is 100% worth the challenge. Here's what she says in her intro, so you can see why I liked her:

I wasn't looking for someone to sugarcoat the experience. I was happy to read a book written by someone honest enough to proclaim, “Honey, raising twins is hard!” Most of the books on the market communicate that very well. What frustrated me—after being reminded (again) that the experience would be hard; was waiting with baited breath for the author to say, "But here's how to make it easier (and laugh while you're doing it).“ I waited, and waited, and waited.

I longed for a humorous book that told it like it is, and also gave strategies for getting through the “how it is.” I hungered for an author daring enough to write, “It's true that you'll hear over and over again not to microwave formula, but it's okay if you do, provided you follow some basic rules and do some safety checks.“ However, after searching and searching, I realized that such a book did not exist. At that point I decided to write one.
    "

5. pjs

pjs Well-Known Member

As pp said, I also have enjoyed Ready or Not Here We Come by Elizabeth Lyons. I am also reading Happiest Baby on the Block, which is not a twin book but I think is teaching me great tools on how to calm a crying infant. Having had 2 sons already you would think I might know these things, but I just want to be prepared :)

If you want to get an idea of Elizabeth Lyons writing style, you can also go to her website/blog at http://www.gotcrazytwins.com

6. chicagomama

chicagomama Well-Known Member

I will have to check out the Lyons book. That does sound refreshing. For practicle informaiton, I really like "Everything you need to know to have a healthy twin pregnancy" by Leiter. I feel like it does not over-hype the scary stuff...

7. BabyMoPlusThree

BabyMoPlusThree Well-Known Member

QUOTE(teafor2 @ Apr 24 2009, 02:01 PM) [snapback]1287221[/snapback]
    I loved, loved, LOVED "Ready or Not Here We Come!" By Elizabeth Lyons. I had read many other books and was a little disappointed...probably because I am super-sensitive and scared about having twins, so even ones others liked (such as Twinspiration) left me feeling like all anyone was saying was "Its going to be SOoooooo hard!" even when they were able to do so with humor. But Lyons' book really helped me. She addresses the three things she thinks you need to get through the first year (Humor, Perspective, Faith) and also gives lots of practical advice and lists of things, tangible and emotional, that will help. My favorite thing is that she constantly reminds the reader that having these babies is a blessing, that lots of things in life are hard, and that THIS hard thing is 100% worth the challenge. Here's what she says in her intro, so you can see why I liked her:

"

ITA with this! I've had this book from the library, and I LOVE IT. I want to get my own copy. The author wrote a sequel called "Ready or Not.... there we go" for the toddler years. I hope she keeps writing books on the subject- I'll keep reading them!

8. Angelsamb

Angelsamb Well-Known Member

Mothering Multiples is really good about nursing twins.

9. jbritt325

jbritt325 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much mommas! I'm deffinately going to check these books out!

10. 2cooltwins

2cooltwins Member

I'd recommend "Juggling Twins" as well. We have just bought it and it gives you all of the information that you need in a very amusing manner!