Booster Seats

Discussion in 'General' started by LMW1015, Apr 25, 2013.

1. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

My twins are 4 yrs old (38 and 40 lbs) and my youngest is 3 (35 lbs). We are all starting to get a little tired of their infant/toddler convertible seats (which we really do love but they are SO big and heavy!). Their legs are starting to get smooshed on the seat in front of them. I've started looking at booster seats to see what is out there. With at least the 3 yr old we would need a high back and I'm assuming the 5 point harness. I'm not sure if the twins are quite old/mature enough to go with a booster seat that just requires a seat belt. I'm a little freaked out they'll be unbuckling themselves. We don't have a lot of money and we have to buy 3 of these things so cost is definitely a factor but safety is of course #1. The seats we have now are Evenflo (Triumph I think...the ones where the harness slide up and down and you turn the knob on the side to tighten...love that feature!) so I of course looked at Evenflo. I found two of them Evenflow Chase (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AJSIXWK/?tag=mytwins02-20) and Evenflow Maestro (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AJSIXUM/?tag=mytwins02-20) that look like decent possibilities. The Chase strikes my fancy first because of the cost LOL but I wish I could see one in person. We're in a small town so there isn't a lot here. Does anyone have these? Are they quite a bit smaller than an infant/toddler convertible seat? I really would like to find something "skinnier" LOL If anyone has any other recommendations please let me know. Thanks!!

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I think the best way to save money and be safe is to keep them in their convertible seats. It's safer and it costs nothing. The booster with five point harnesses are just as bulky.

1 person likes this.
  3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm a big fan of graco products. The Graco Turbo Booster is what I bought for both my older kids. It gives far more room than the bulkier convertible seats.

I bought Graco Nautilus's for my twins for their convertible seat and just switched them from the 5pt to the seatbelt recently. Both of them ride fantastic, and I like that it has a bit more surround support, "just in case" ;)

4. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Keep them harnessed, no need to spend any money that way! ;)

5. LMW1015

OK :) Sounds fair enough. LOL When is a good time to switch to the (much) cheaper backless booster seats? I know my husband will be asking this question so I figured I'd ask you wonderful ladies :)

6. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

My 8 year old is still in a high back booster. He's on the shorter side and the high backs just fit him better. It really depends on the kid. If you can keep them harnessed til at least 5 or 6, then you can move to the type of booster that works best for them.

7. LMW1015

Thanks! :)